HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:49 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
I think that outside of difficult terrain, these are rather impractical. Also, based off my skiing experience, they'd better have a plan in case the gondola shuts down. At least a generator lol. I would not want to be stuck up there.
I'm pretty sure that accommodating uninterrupted power in a major city is easier done than on some mountain 100 kilometers from anywhere.

What do you feel makes them impractical? If anything, if they're practical when building the towers is a logistical challenge, then certainly they must be even more practical when the terrain is reasonable and has ready access everywhere. Given that even in less-accessible areas, the cost per km seems to be between $16-20 million per km with about one station per 1 to 1.5 km in Latin America. Even if US pricing were quadruple that amount, we'd still be looking at $65-80 million per km or $100-125 million per mile, which is cheaper than most light rail costs but fully grade separated and while slower in movement speed, running cars every few minutes would keep actual travel time shorter than non-grade separated modes while having capacity similar to a frequent bus line. Important but not especially high traffic routes could be perfect, like linking key subway lines in outer areas, or just going over complex landscapes like a series of surface streets, expressways, rail lines, and rivers all next to each other.

For example, I think linking the Western/Armitage so on the O'Hare branch of Chicago's Blue Line to the Clybourn Metra commuter rail station and the Fullerton stop for the Red, Brown, and Purple 'L' Lines and then maybe on to the lakefront near the Nature Museum and Lincoln Park Zoo would be a fantastic use.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 7:29 PM

Tampa Bay weighs competing aerial transit projects

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news...ojects/588823/

Quote:

- Last week, the Clearwater City Council gave its go-ahead for the Tampa Bay Area Regional Transit Authority (TBARTA) and metropolitan planning organization Forward Pinellas to study a gondola system in the city. The concept backed by St. Petersburg developer Darryl Leclair is still in its early stages, but planners say it would use a two-mile cable car line to connect downtown Clearwater to the beach, with the potential to expand across the Tampa Bay region into cities including St. Petersburg. — This city council backing comes nine months after the body passed a resolution to support the exploration of a pod-based aerial transit system from BeachTran Clearwater. Using technology from California-based skyTran, BeachTran would zip four-person pods between Clearwater and the beach at up to 100 mph along a maglev track, using a solar-powered system. BeachTran has said the pods could also carry cargo, and that this system could be expanded regionally.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 9:03 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Florida cities have this weird infatuation with "unconventional" transit while having a hard time with normal buses and rail.

Jacksonville built the world's shortest rubber tire metro then turned it into a mini monorail and last I heard they want it to be a guideway for self driving buses next. Tampa did have an elevated tram like this, from downtown to an island in the bay with some hotels. That got torn down decades ago to my knowledge. Then they went the fake historic trolley route. Miami has the metro mover, which is at least successful. But it's expensive and strange, its an overly complicated bus on tracks on giant ugly as sin beams above the street in a dead and ratchet part of downtown. Then of course there's Orlando's repeated attempts at private sector maglev monorails...

How bout some kind of conveyance that people will actually use to get to work and stuff?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Florida cities have this weird infatuation with "unconventional" transit while having a hard time with normal buses and rail.

Jacksonville built the world's shortest rubber tire metro then turned it into a mini monorail and last I heard they want it to be a guideway for self driving buses next. Tampa did have an elevated tram like this, from downtown to an island in the bay with some hotels. That got torn down decades ago to my knowledge. Then they went the fake historic trolley route. Miami has the metro mover, which is at least successful. But it's expensive and strange, its an overly complicated bus on tracks on giant ugly as sin beams above the street in a dead and ratchet part of downtown. Then of course there's Orlando's repeated attempts at private sector maglev monorails...

How bout some kind of conveyance that people will actually use to get to work and stuff?
I agree with everything but the Miami metromover being in a dead and ratchet part of downtown. Miami's downtown isn't as ratchet as it used to once be.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:48 PM
Community Guy

Prairie Sky Gondola before the Urban Planning Committee today here in Edmonton.

-18 months and 9mil to be shovel ready
-18-24 months to construct

Could be operational by spring 2024.

Reminder of what the route looks like and how amazing it would be a central connector.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...vote-1.5443773

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:48 AM
Community Guy

Another important step forward for Prairie Sky Gondola in Edmonton. Council votes 8-5 in favour of permitting next steps/design.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ment-framework

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:59 PM

Japanese transport group aims to set up public ropeway transit system by 2025

https://japantoday.com/category/feat...system-by-2025

Quote:

- Zip Infrastructure Inc. Their proposal is to set up electric-powered ziplines throughout a city that can transport small capsules carrying up to 12 people per journey. The service will use a digital app to direct it through the network of ziplines and is capable of making tight turns and branching paths that regular mountain ropeways find challenging. There are lots of things that make this electric ropeway, named Zippar, appealing. The obvious thing is that it uses an extra plane to transport more people to where they need to go but it also costs about a fifth less than implementing a monorail service, is comparatively quiet, and doesn’t require a dedicated driver like other forms of public transport. — Test runs of the ropeway are currently underway in the mountain city of Odawara in Kanagawa prefecture. The president of Zip Infrastructure, 23-year-old Takamasa Suchi, expects that once the 12-person capacity car model finishes production a single car will be operated at high speed every twelve seconds and transport 3,000 people in an hour. Their plan is to implement the system officially in 2025.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:49 PM

Gondola system proposed as light rail alternative in West Seattle deemed 'not feasible'

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...c-36f207a8c8b5

Quote:

- Sound Transit said a proposed gondola system from West Seattle to SoDo "would not be feasible" Thursday after it was proposed as an alternative to the light rail expansion. A local group, West Seattle SkyLink, proposed the gondola system as an alternative for light rail expansion, citing lesser costs and a quicker timeline for completion. --- In the report, Sound Transit said an aerial gondola system had significant technical limitations including compatibility with the existing light rail system, a lack of expandability and funding. --- "First, they would not integrate with the existing and expanding regional high capacity transit system as well as light rail, would not directly serve as many regional destinations and could be difficult to expand beyond West Seattle," said Matt Sheldon, deputy executive director for planning and integration. --- Sound Transit said a gondola system simply lacks the capacity to serve projected ridership, surge events, or future regional demand, citing its already approved Regional Transit Long Range Plan. “They operate on a local circulation level, lack regional applications," the report said.

Light rail plans (red) vs SkyLink (core route: teal - future options: light blue)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 10:37 PM
Never Dell

This wasn't seriously considered for Seattle, just a proposal out of left field. Sound Transit is in the EIS process for the rail line.

The comparison table looks like pure guesswork by proponents.

Also the rail line is projected to open in 2032 to West Seattle (the other end to Ballard will take longer). https://www.soundtransit.org/system-...ine-milestones

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation