HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 8:05 PM

The first building permits are under review for the Multnomah County Central Courthouse:

Quote:
DSN 01 – 50% DD’s for new court house

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:38 AM

Permits? this design ought to be against the law. Misappropriation of funds to say the least.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:49 AM

Fair enough if you don't like the design... but misappropriation of funds? What?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Fair enough if you don't like the design... but misappropriation of funds? What?
I don't think this is being built with private investment, is it?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 3:03 AM

It is not. But who is misappropriating funds? Where are they going?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 5:02 AM

Quote:
It is not. But who is misappropriating funds? Where are they going?
Probably wrong choice of words, but tax dollars are used to build this right? Tax payers ought to get a nice looking structure don't you think. Not this hideous looking thing.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Probably wrong choice of words, but tax dollars are used to build this right? Tax payers ought to get a nice looking structure don't you think. Not this hideous looking thing.
As proof that "nice looking" is subjective, I like the design. It could certainly be improved, but I think it'll be a nice addition to the skyline. It isn't objectively bad. Ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And that's why it isn't misappropriation, wrong, or whatever more accurate word might be used to describe what you're saying. I am not a lawyer, but I don't think it's possible to make a legal determination based on "nice looking" or "ugly" since aesthetics are inherently subjective.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcarpdx View Post
As proof that "nice looking" is subjective, I like the design. It could certainly be improved, but I think it'll be a nice addition to the skyline. It isn't objectively bad. Ya know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And that's why it isn't misappropriation, wrong, or whatever more accurate word might be used to describe what you're saying. I am not a lawyer, but I don't think it's possible to make a legal determination based on "nice looking" or "ugly" since aesthetics are inherently subjective.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just would like to see Portland get some pizzazz in it's designs. This design, like the CCH design, is so bland, it hurts. IMO of course.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 4:37 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just would like to see Portland get some pizzazz in it's designs. This design, like the CCH design, is so bland, it hurts. IMO of course.
"Pizzazz" is what got us the Portland Building. Be careful what you wish for.....

I'd rather have understated sophistication than pizzazz anyday, especially for a courthouse. Not saying this design is perfect, but I do like the direction they're going with it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
"Pizzazz" is what got us the Portland Building. Be careful what you wish for.....

I'd rather have understated sophistication than pizzazz anyday, especially for a courthouse. Not saying this design is perfect, but I do like the direction they're going with it.
That wasn't pizzazz, that was schlock. Portland got the wrong Michael Graves design. His Humana Building is pretty dog gone good, and would have been perfect for the Portland Building.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
That wasn't pizzazz, that was schlock. Portland got the wrong Michael Graves design. His Humana Building is pretty dog gone good, and would have been perfect for the Portland Building.
No, they got the cheap version of Graves' original design.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 4:14 AM

The Multnomah County Central Courthouse has been submitted for Design Review:

Quote:
Replace current Multnomah County Courthouse with new Multnomah County Central Courthouse (MCCCH).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 8:37 PM

Because the Courthouse project involves alterations to Jefferson Station, the entire project (including the 17 story, 300'+ tower) will be reviewed by the Historic Landmarks Commission. This should be interesting.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:04 PM

Latest set of drawings [PDF - 35MB] for a DAR at the Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 8:14 PM

Now on Landmarks Commission agenda for review on October 24th.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 1:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Latest set of drawings [PDF - 35MB] for a DAR at the Landmarks Commission.
The drawings are hilarious, though unintentionally. Why in the heck did they draw in somebody who is confused by the lobby? They didn't just draw in a confused guy, they added a huge reflection of him too. See page 18.

HHhmmm... maybe he's not confused by the lobby. Maybe he's confused by how awful the design of the building is. I know I am. This thing is going to put a big block of ugly right in the middle of our skyline.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The drawings are hilarious, though unintentionally. Why in the heck did they draw in somebody who is confused by the lobby? They didn't just draw in a confused guy, they added a huge reflection of him too. See page 18.

HHhmmm... maybe he's not confused by the lobby. Maybe he's confused by how awful the design of the building is. I know I am. This thing is going to put a big block of ugly right in the middle of our skyline.
I think it looks great for a couthouse--it is what it is

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

So true, this thing is the "Beast That Ate A Whole Block", even though it's 3/4's of a block. Must get it right or the Fugly Architecture Patrol will get me. I don't get the love. This is as hideous a turd as The Yard. Both in prominent spots facing the riverfront.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 8:03 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland