HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:38 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I just got a tour of Corbeaux. It's incredible. ONE HUNDRED employees. Hours 6a-1a every day. Since baking will have to start around 4a this is basically a 24 hour operation.

Last edited by Rusty van Reddick; Dec 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:53 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I just got a tour of Courbeaux. It's incredible. ONE HUNDRED employees. Hours 6a-1a every day. Since baking will have to start around 4a this is basically a 24 hour operation.
I am looking forward to this.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I just got a tour of Corbeaux. It's incredible. ONE HUNDRED employees. Hours 6a-1a every day. Since baking will have to start around 4a this is basically a 24 hour operation.
Looking forward to seeing the new patio too. Lots of work going on behind those tarps.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 10:59 PM

Is Corbeaux the one where Melrose was?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:12 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Yes

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:28 PM
BANNED

I heard the east bay will be opening as a bar come spring, not sure who's behind it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I heard the east bay will be opening as a bar come spring, not sure who's behind it.
Yep - Russ wouldn't give me details but did say that they would be adding a storey to the current east half.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Any slim chance they will be making gluten free as well?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:02 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any slim chance they will be making gluten free as well?
Unless the entire facility is gluten free as per what they do at Big Star Bakehouse a block east, then of course not. No big facility like this will ever be gluten free. They have beer on tap- gluten.

You can't expect a 9000 square foot restaurant to be gluten free. If somebody is telling you that they are when there is obvious cross contamination, then they are lying to you.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
This is fantastic news! I can't wait to try out what they have to offer!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Unless the entire facility is gluten free as per what they do at Big Star Bakehouse a block east, then of course not. No big facility like this will ever be gluten free. They have beer on tap- gluten.

You can't expect a 9000 square foot restaurant to be gluten free. If somebody is telling you that they are when there is obvious cross contamination, then they are lying to you.
I was just wondering if they had a separate kitchen, some places do. Excuse me for having a glimmer of hope that it may have been a place I could go to eat.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
This is fantastic news! I can't wait to try out what they have to offer!
I'm already excited to have chocolate croissants.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:27 PM
Aviary Masticator

I wonder what their profit margin is like when their overhead sounds big.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:35 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
I wonder what their profit margin is like when their overhead sounds big.
Just normal restaurants have huge amounts of staff. I worked at an restaurant that would have 40+ staff on a single Friday night shift (5 hostesses, 4 bartenders, 4 setters, 2 managers, 2 dishwashers, 15+ kitchen staff and about 13 wait staff). On a night like that we would sell around $15K of product. I would not be surprised that places like National pull in $50K a night easily.

I remember seeing cost sheets for things like wine and beer. What we paid for a case of wine, we sold a single bottle for. Draught beer was close in comparison. A glass of pop cost 6 cents. Food margins were much lower, but still not bad. Overhead is big, but margins on product are big too. You just need volume.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Where will the D-bags drink?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 8:59 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Just normal restaurants have huge amounts of staff. I worked at an restaurant that would have 40+ staff on a single Friday night shift (5 hostesses, 4 bartenders, 4 setters, 2 managers, 2 dishwashers, 15+ kitchen staff and about 13 wait staff). On a night like that we would sell around $15K of product. I would not be surprised that places like National pull in $50K a night easily.

I remember seeing cost sheets for things like wine and beer. What we paid for a case of wine, we sold a single bottle for. Draught beer was close in comparison. A glass of pop cost 6 cents. Food margins were much lower, but still not bad. Overhead is big, but margins on product are big too. You just need volume.
I'm just having trouble picturing 100 staff in that footprint. Must be a big venue.

EDIT: Oop, just read the continuation. 9000sqft?! Explains everything. Carry on.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:30 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
I'm just having trouble picturing 100 staff in that footprint. Must be a big venue.

EDIT: Oop, just read the continuation. 9000sqft?! Explains everything. Carry on.
I always forget how expansive that space is. I wonder what they have done with all of the underground space. That lower level is like the bat cave.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:34 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I always forget how expansive that space is. I wonder what they have done with all of the underground space. That lower level is like the bat cave.
I have a feeling it'll be like a WURST setup: bakery and fine dining at top; rowdiness at the bottom.

Alternatively it could be full-pledged bakery up top, restaurant at the bottom or vice-versa.

EDIT: Just called Fratello. Corbeaux is slated to open 19th-22nd depending on the final prepwork. Bakery/cafe in the morning, lunch menu, then full-service restaurant at night.

Last edited by flipstah; Dec 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling it'll be like a WURST setup: bakery and fine dining at top; rowdiness at the bottom.

Alternatively it could be full-pledged bakery up top, restaurant at the bottom or vice-versa.

EDIT: Just called Fratello. Corbeaux is slated to open 19th-22nd depending on the final prepwork. Bakery/cafe in the morning, lunch menu, then full-service restaurant at night.

So does that mean the bakery will close shop at lunch time? What if I want a croissant at like 8pm?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:19 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was just wondering if they had a separate kitchen, some places do. Excuse me for having a glimmer of hope that it may have been a place I could go to eat.
Do you have a gluten allergy, like the owner of Big Star, who will die of anaphylaxis if he consumes even a tiny bit of it (akin to a peanut allergy), or are you celiac? I know Ben Put (the barista champ) is celiac, has been his entire life, and I've absolutely seen him eating at restos that didn't have separate kitchens. Anyway I know what a pain this can be but you can't expect a place that identifies first as a bakery that makes traditional wheat based breads and pastries to ever be the sort of place a celiac or gluten allergic person would dine. There are so many more options for gluten free nowadays but I say again a bakery is the last place you'd think to ask (unless the bakery is completely gluten free in which case, again and sorry but obviously, gluten free is impossible).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation