HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Are you seriously saying that you support tearing it down because some people claim it's haunted?

Work is already in progress; nothing (especially this) is going to change that now.
I was thinking the same thing. Even if it was haunted, if I was the landowner, I still wouldn't give a damn and would still do the project. Actually IMO, the mural on the back of the build would be more of a reason to tare it down then it being haunted.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton
Are you seriously saying that you support tearing it down because some people claim it's haunted?

Work is already in progress; nothing (especially this) is going to change that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Even if it was haunted, if I was the landowner, I still wouldn't give a damn and would still do the project. Actually IMO, the mural on the back of the build would be more of a reason to tare it down then it being haunted.
I was not saying that at all... I may have misspoke but was thinking more along the lines of "It's easier to build a new building then to retrofit condo/apartments into a historic one.

That's all

I'd also like to point it. The only place I've really heard these types of complaints from the public (Not counting during actual meetings about a project) seems to be in Atlantic Canada. Majority surrounding Moncton projects.

The other thing is there are plenty of buildings some historic that have been demolished over the years to make way for apartment buildings, and really dodgy parking lots where where all these people who are looking at excuses when these other buildings where being demolished if it's really about the history of the city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:41 PM

Who is complaining about putting condos in Castle Manor?
I've heard nothing but positive comments, but might have missed something and if so I'd like to be edjicated.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
There's a potential development arising from the influx of refugees. The Moncton Muslim Association is located at the corner of High & Gordon, where space is apparently no longer sufficient. A bit of welcome landscaping was done to the south side this week, and they already own the boxy green house just north of their main building. Though this is third-hand information that's to be treated as purely unsubstantiated, there may be plans afoot to purchase two more adjacent properties, tear everything down next year and build an appropriate mosque. I was told they're looking at purchasing to the east (one on Gordon and one on McDougall), but the subsequent two buildings north on High St are incidentally already for sale. Either way, I live nearby and the area needs some love, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this.
Are we talking about the muslim community building a traditional mosque, complete with minarets or something a little more avant garde?

It doesn't really matter to me, I'm just curious..........

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Are we talking about the muslim community building a traditional mosque, complete with minarets or something a little more avant garde?
I don't have any more information to go by, except that it would also supposedly house space for Arab Christians, so that could impact the design. I don't know how reliable my source is anyway, so it's still all speculation. I think a traditional mosque would look great, but anything would be an improvement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I was not saying that at all... I may have misspoke but was thinking more along the lines of "It's easier to build a new building then to retrofit condo/apartments into a historic one.

That's all

I'd also like to point it. The only place I've really heard these types of complaints from the public (Not counting during actual meetings about a project) seems to be in Atlantic Canada. Majority surrounding Moncton projects.

The other thing is there are plenty of buildings some historic that have been demolished over the years to make way for apartment buildings, and really dodgy parking lots where where all these people who are looking at excuses when these other buildings where being demolished if it's really about the history of the city.
Ahhh I gotcha. I wouldn't have been opposed if they had built other building in the site tho, as it it a pretty large site, perhaps combined it with the old CBC site.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Ahhh I gotcha. I wouldn't have been opposed if they had built other building in the site tho, as it it a pretty large site, perhaps combined it with the old CBC site.
The site along with the old CBC Since there is a right of way (Partly) on the CBC lot to get to Castle Manor(220 University Ave.) would be a perfect spot for 4 maybe even 5 Buildings.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:17 PM

Article re the mosque on CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ians-1.3695327

Moncton mosque overflowing since Syrians arrived
The newcomers have doubled the size of the congregation over the past few months

Quote:
Akhtar said the Muslim Association is considering expanding the current building because of space issues, but will wait a bit longer as some members of the community may decide to seek employment outside of Moncton.
So what I heard had a semblance of truth but everything is preliminary so far.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, is Moncton Pizza on Main Street reopening after all? I drove down the street this morning and noticed that the door was open, the paper was off the windows and there was some sort of activity going on inside.......

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are the plans for the soon-to-be reconstructed Dolma Foods on the NE corner of St George & Bonnacord:

Plans are for a first floor food store, a second floor restaurant and for a rooftop patio. This will be a very necessary boost for the central portion of St George St.

There is a special meeting of the PAC on August 3rd to consider variances to allow this proposal to move forward. The variances requested include:

Quote:
NewCo Construction on behalf of/au nom de Dobson Enterprises Inc. 249-251 rue St. George Street, (PID/NID 70279609 , 00697938 , 00697920) variances to (1) Increase flankage yard setback; (2) Reduce rear yard setback; (3) Allow parking in the flankage yard; (4) Allow garbage storage to be located in the flankage yard; (5) One façade with no public entrance; (6) Reduce fenestration ratio; and (7) Allow for non-traditional materials on some façades/
I don't imagine there will be too much problem for any of this. There is huge support out there for Dolma Foods to rebuild.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Here are the plans for the soon-to-be reconstructed Dolma Foods on the NE corner of St George & Bonnacord:

Plans are for a first floor food store, a second floor restaurant and for a rooftop patio. This will be a very necessary boost for the central portion of St George St.

There is a special meeting of the PAC on August 3rd to consider variances to allow this proposal to move forward. The variances requested include:

I don't imagine there will be too much problem for any of this. There is huge support out there for Dolma Foods to rebuild.
The rooftop patio is such a nice add on. Wish there was more of them on main street. They make downtowns seem more welcoming and bustling. Byward market is a terrific example of this in Ottawa.

Last edited by JHikka; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Photo quote redundancy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:

This design and project is exactly what I picture for St. George.

Last edited by JHikka; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Photo quote redundancy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 9:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
This design and project is exactly what I picture for St. George.
Indeed. May it serve as an inspiration for other similar scaled projects in the future......

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 10:17 PM

Does the new Dolma building include apartments? Maybe on the second floor? I doubt the restaurant occupies the entire floor.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 11:17 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Nice design! Hope they start soon

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:55 AM

In an article from March they are looking at starting the construction of the New Store/Restaurant in the beginning of fall, and the owner had stated that he would probably not be open ti'll late Fall. Given that info, and the design I'm wondering if they are going to have it built in prefabricated section. Also from the small amount of info given it does not seem like there planing on having apartments in there new location. But of course that could be wrong.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 12:49 PM

A few things.

- I noticed the are clearing land by the UNB Nursing School downtown - looks like they are expanding a parking lot.

- They are finally clearing land across from Sobeys on Vaughn Harvey - looks like the project which is starting with a Goodlife Fitness is getting under way.

- I also read that the office vacancy rate in Moncton is just over 10% which is one of the lowest in the Atlantic provinces and a shortage of Class A office space as well. I wonder if this means developers may be starting to think about the addition of office buildings to downtown or if this is awhile out yet?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
A few things.

- I noticed the are clearing land by the UNB Nursing School downtown - looks like they are expanding a parking lot.

- They are finally clearing land across from Sobeys on Vaughn Harvey - looks like the project which is starting with a Goodlife Fitness is getting under way.

- I also read that the office vacancy rate in Moncton is just over 10% which is one of the lowest in the Atlantic provinces and a shortage of Class A office space as well. I wonder if this means developers may be starting to think about the addition of office buildings to downtown or if this is awhile out yet?
I believe that parking lot is one of the offsite lots heritage management is constructing.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
A few things.

Looks like the expansion at Sobey's Vaughan Harvey has started also.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:29 PM

Any word on what is happening on the west side of Vaughan Harvey near the railway tracks (north of the storage units, east of Ivan Rand Dr)? They have run a new railway spur, and there's been a crane onsite as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces