HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

220 Central Park South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
^ Are they punching holes in that solid slab of concrete for windows? Or are they fake windows?
I was wondering about that myself...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 1:28 AM
BANNED

^Cutting that many holes into a brand new concrete would be a ridiculous amount of work. This approach is what you call putting lipstick on a pig, and turning that pig into a super model! Hail Stern for not leaving a blank 950' slab.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 3:11 AM

Quote:
^ Are they punching holes in that solid slab of concrete for windows? Or are they fake windows?
Its a shear wall, so it will remain solid.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 3:22 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I've always thought it was the core covered in "windows", but I haven't really looked at it too hard from that angle.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 3:15 AM

Most of Robert A.M Stern's work just amazes--220 Central Park South is no such exception.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
220 CPS is turning out to be one of the best buildings in New York as of late. It almost looks like an Art Deco revival, of sorts.
Can't say I agree, it looks rather cookie cutter and prefab to me, can't see the deco or originality in it. If anything in that area looks decent from an aesthetic perspective it would be 15 CPW. Another thing I notice is the giant south facing wall that looks to have its center dominated by concrete, it looks like they are putting fake windows on top of this wall? Unless they are somehow cutting out these windows which I doubt. Looks like they are trying to make the building super strong for its size.

With all that said the top 10 floors look to be quite nice. Big windows and gradations of stone, and a roof section reminiscent of the Century Apts up the block on CPW. j

Last edited by jl4069; Nov 24, 2016 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 6:52 AM

Quote:
I asked a similar question re 520 Park, where they appear to be doing the same thing.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 View Post
Can't say I agree, it looks rather cookie cutter and prefab to me, can't see the deco or originality in it. If anything in that area looks decent from an aesthetic perspective it would be 15 CPW. Another thing I notice is the giant south facing wall that looks to have its center dominated by concrete, it looks like they are putting fake windows on top of this wall? Unless they are somehow cutting out these windows which I doubt. Looks like they are trying to make the building super strong for its size.

With all that said the top 10 floors look to be quite nice. Big windows and gradations of stone, and a roof section reminiscent of the Century Apts up the block on CPW. j
Thin towers very commonly have the elevator core shifted to one side of the building, hence the concrete wall on the south side. These are fake windows, and there are countless precedents of this around the city.

If you've watched enough 'Stern' Projects go up by now, you'd realize that the finish always looks cookie cutter when they first install panels. Later on all the joints between panels are filled in and the look becomes visually seamless. This is also likely the single most expensive stern building ever put up, I'm sure no expense was spared here, unlike say a 99 Church street where you might expect corners to be cut.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Its a shear wall, so it will remain solid.
Yup, shear wall, don't want to be knocking holes in that without the building crumbling down. Common occurrence to clad over it with curtainwall.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 6:19 AM

Getting pretty tall, I'm assuming that a setback will come soon, evidenced by the renderings. Am I wrong?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 9:18 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Thin towers very commonly have the elevator core shifted to one side of the building, hence the concrete wall on the south side. These are fake windows, and there are countless precedents of this around the city.
Confirming this, here's a floorplan showing the core on the south side of the tower.

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/4/21/11482...obert-am-stern

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 3:13 AM
SkyscraperSunset.com

From Nov 23:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:42 PM

Maybe 75-100' to go at the most?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 10:05 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Something like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

So 5 floors and the rest of the crown, if that render is still accurate.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:37 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2016/11/27/airhead...r-rises-again/

Airhead teen busted for climbing World Trade Center rises again

By Kenneth Garger, Chad Rachman and Natalie O'Neill
November 27, 2016

Quote:
He’s taking stupidity to new heights.

The New Jersey teen busted for climbing to the top of then-unopened 1 World Trade Center two years ago is still pulling dopey stunts — snapping dozens of new photos of himself and pals dangling from Manhattan skyscrapers and then posting them online, The Post has learned.

Justin Casquejo, 18 — who received a slap on the wrist for the major WTC security breach in 2014 — broke into an under-construction Central Park South high rise with a friend at one point and shot video of the stunt, according to footage he posted on YouTube Nov. 4 under his Instagram handle, LIVEJN.

The dizzying footage shows the ditzy daredevil and his pal each dangling by one arm from scaffolding hundreds of feet above the city.

Casquejo, of Weehawken, NJ — who brags on Instagram that he’s “limitless” — has raked in nearly 29,000 followers there.

In the past year, he has posted dozens of shots of himself and pals scaling skyscrapers in Times Square, Columbus Circle and near the Empire State Building.

He appears noticeably taller — and with much longer hair — than two years ago. Also visible in the photos is the same large discoloration that was on his forehead two years ago.

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Minor adjustment, but the height has been adjusted up to 952 ft.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=12

Quote:
11/29/2016

POST APPROVAL AMENDMENT FILED HEREWITH TO CHANGE SECTON 13E TO INCREASE BUILDING HEIGHT FROM 950 FT. TO 952 FT.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:11 PM

And people say all we get are height reductions...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:53 PM
Mr. Technology

I doubt that anyone will notice 2 feet from the ground.
It's nice, but when we see extra digits added, like "200" feet, then I'll celebrate.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 3:44 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive