HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Sometimes the tapering of this building really bothers me, am I the only one? Other than that it looks good.
Personally.....I really like the taper. It is very visually interesting in that the tower is tapered from some angles and straight vertical from others. It differentiates the tower from the old twins, which I always found to be rather ugly. I would've preferred that the base retain its taper as well, but that horse has been beaten enough.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the tapering of this building really bothers me, am I the only one? Other than that it looks good.
It bothers me when viewed at four specific angles, and doesn't bother me at all when viewed from a different specific four angles...

But hey, if I could have had it my way, the twin towers would have been rebuilt in NYC and the current design would be moved to the San Francisco Transbay Terminal, where I think it would fit the skyline better.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:32 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
I love the taper. When i first saw the renderings of it years ago I hated it but after seeing it being built it grew on me and I think the actual building looks way better than any renderings ever did of it before it was built.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:30 AM

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:52 AM

Awesome A380 shot.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:57 AM

I didn't put too much time into these images in Photoshop but its just a basic concept

Finished WTC

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:30 AM

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 7:18 AM

What if we change the design of 2WTC?

Quote:
The tapering wouldn't be so much problem if people change the design of 2WTC and make it an essential twin of 1WTC, because the twin element doubles and boosts the presence of the tower.

Here's a crude pic of what it would look like if 2WTC is changed to the twin of 1WTC sans spire. The feeling of weakness from tapering is solved.

However, it seems most people on this thread prematurely gave up and fiercely opposes any design change, always rationalizing and justifying what has been planned by authorities (current 2WTC plan) even if it's not currently happening (2WTC is on-hold).

We can hope that 2WTC is still capped at the foundations stage, NOT even half or fully-built, and the design could be changed to incorporate twin element.

Also, we could name our tentative new twin towers 'Freedom and Liberty towers', 'West and East towers', or simply 'Twin Towers',
'1 and 2 World Trade', whatever you like.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 7:36 AM

Significant Milestone at One World Trade Center, NYC (May 2nd, 2013)- ASharmaEarth411

Significant Milestone at One World Trade Center, NYC (May 2nd, 2013)- ASharmaEarth411HD

Watch Here,
http://youtu.be/HYQP1AKNNzM

On May 2nd, 2013, a significant milestone was reached at One World Trade Center in New York City. The Final Sections of the Spire were Hoisted to the roof of One World Trade Center; installation is will be at a later date, bringing the overall height of the tower to 1,776 feet, the year the United States of America gained Independence. The last section will serve as a beacon to New York City, signifying, Resilience, Strength, Hope, and Optimism.
- ASharmaEarth411HD

Song: Arrival Of The Birds
Album: The Crimson Wing, Mystery of the Flamingos (2008)
Artist: The Cinematic Orchestra
EMI Records Ltd.

- | An ASharmaEarth411HD Compilation |

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:57 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
The tapering wouldn't be so much problem if people change the design of 2WTC and make it an essential twin of 1WTC, because the twin element doubles and boosts the presence of the tower.

Here's a crude pic of what it would look like if 2WTC is changed to the twin of 1WTC sans spire. The feeling of weakness from tapering is solved.
It will never happen because the foundations are totally wrong, the current Tower 1 design would be hideous as twins, and it would be a far bigger waste of money for a pipe dream with no real sense behind it. Just because the old complex happened to be twins does not mean the new one should be twins just for the sake of twins. This tower was designed to be alone, not have a twin. All logic and reasoning would be lost behind the design. Twin Towers should have been planned 10 years ago, in the shape of the old ones. Not as the current design is.

I think anyone who has pushed for a twin of this design doesn't have a great understanding of architecture. They just want one so that the "terrorists don't win" (whatever that's supposed to mean these days...)

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:24 PM

^^that might be the best synopsis of why there won't ever be a twin I have read. The notion of building a "twin" needs to stop. They won't do it, for the above stated reasons, and it would look stupid (look at the photoshopped pic). People need to accept the current proposal of the site and appreciate the design as a whole.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:25 PM

The "spantenna" is looking like something you would find in the old Soviet Union, from the space-age 1950s. It's truly disappointing, nothing more to say.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:50 PM

^^Not only that but I always opposed the twins being rebuilt from the start as much as I love/loved them. Making it seem like nothing ever happened is just wrong in my opinion and that's what it would be of they were rebuilt on top of them not being the originial towers, it would never be the same...we would know those arent really THE twin towers, also think of the families that would have to see two replicas everyday of where their loved ones were murdered, and yeah maybe some family members wanted them back but it's time to embrace the new World Trade Center and these new towers are what we are getting and they are beautiful! The new complex/memorial is a very fitting tribute to the twins, like 1WTC, looks so much like the North Tower at certain angles its almost scary(in a good way!)

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:09 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^^that might be the best synopsis of why there won't ever be a twin I have read. The notion of building a "twin" needs to stop. They won't do it, for the above stated reasons, and it would look stupid (look at the photoshopped pic). People need to accept the current proposal of the site and appreciate the design as a whole.
I'm actually getting tired of seeing posts like that myself. I would have loved to see the Twins rebuilt myself, but I have accepted that it simply will not happen. That said, with each passing day I am more and more excited for this new tower and the complex as a whole, and I cannot wait for tenants to take up space in the remaining towers so that we can see the entire complex completed!

The spire? It's actually growing on me and has been for some time.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:38 PM

I have a feeling that Americans are going to get gypped by the CTBUH as far as the official height of 1 WTC goes. I have an inkling that they will count the mast as an antenna as opposed to a spire and you will have nothing officially symbolic height wise. It's kind of unfortunate that the foundation for 2 WTC has been built already,as i would have liked to see them have used beefier steel at the bottom,this way they could have built it to a roof height of a "definitive" 1776 feet and build a true "spire" to bring the total height of the building to 2001 feet. There would be no arguing that,in my opinion......no debate of anything.......case closed. This is what you get when politics gets involved. Who knows though.......perhaps 2 WTC was over engineered and thus could stand an extra 5 or 6 hundred feet added to the height. Just my thought on the matter.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:12 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

[QUOTE=QUEENSNYMAN;6116304]Some pics by me from early today:

ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER by NYMAN2010, on Flickr

nice shot of the AIRBUS A/380 Korean Airlines

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:35 PM

Has the white crane jumped yet?

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The "spantenna" is looking like something you would find in the old Soviet Union, from the space-age 1950s. It's truly disappointing, nothing more to say.

One WTC Antenna compared to the Ostankino Tower in Russia.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky View Post
I love it when the sky is that color. Perfect for the skyline.

Reggie_Lavoie

Best seen in large size. The only thing missing is Kong...

Peter I. Fifield Photography

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

guess the date of the installation of the final piece of the spire -- !

my guess is memorial day weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive