HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Oh please. They will hardly notice. Residents have a separate entrance. It's not like tourists are going to be throwing parties in the security line late at night or early in the morning. I think of residential buildings above shopping malls or landmark towers with skydecks. Does it irk the resident's? Of course not.
Just more whining. Any of these people could just move if they wanted to. But the reporters never ask that magic question, "So, when are you moving?".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 5:59 AM

Security screening to visit a plaza?

What has this country turned into?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 2:01 PM
Grand is Golden!

At jamesinclair: Screening is recommended, just a quick one, like they do in every skyscraper lobby before you go to the observatory deck. But I think they can do it in a better place than a residential area, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowermanhattan.info

Daily Activities
*The following information was last updated on April 22, 2011.

Secondary steel and facade installation now active at the Memorial pavilion building.
Structural steel was completed in Dec. 2010.
Soil installation and tree planting underway in phases through 2011. More than 160 trees now on site
Finishing work on memorial reflecting pools and waterfalls, including bronze nameplate installation
Facade installation on new West Vent Structures to begin May 2011
Utilities, waterproofing, and other activities underway
Permanent stairways are being built
The "Survivors Stairway" was relocated to its permanent home in the underground Memorial in December 2008
Slurry wall reinforcement completed in spring 2009
Memorial Plaza on schedule for September 11, 2011 opening
The "west vent" structures are those 2 concrete buildings adjacent to West Street on the west side of the memorial plaza. Surprised they have a facade too. I guess it will make it look better than the bare concrete they have currently. Here's a diagram to illistrate the current construction progress:

Last edited by The Grand Architect; Apr 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 6:37 AM
Metal Up Your !

Thanks for the diagram, helps to understand with visual aids.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yes, nice update.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 10:34 AM
BROOKLYN

Very nice, thanks for the diagram.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 1:26 AM

Hey! Its looks awesome! I can't wait go back to NYC again.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
At jamesinclair: Screening is recommended, just a quick one, like they do in every skyscraper lobby before you go to the observatory deck
They do? I've been to many observation decks on the top of skyscrapers, and I can't ever recall going through any "screening".

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:13 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
They do? I've been to many observation decks on the top of skyscrapers, and I can't ever recall going through any "screening".
Not even a security check like going through a metal detector? If that's the case, there's something wrong with the securities of these skyscrapers.

A while ago, I've been to both the John Hancock's and Willis Tower's observation decks, and the security officers there make you take off any large metal items such as belts and wallets and walk through a metal detector. I mean, this doesn't take more than 30 seconds, so I don't see how this affects the people visiting the memorial.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
Not even a security check like going through a metal detector? If that's the case, there's something wrong with the securities of these skyscrapers.
I've been to the observation decks of the then-Sears Tower in Vancouver (I think it's called Harbour Centre or Harbour Tower now), Calgary Tower, CN Tower in Edmonton, CN Tower in Toronto, Harbour Castle Hilton (now Harbour Castle Westin) in Toronto, Hancock (I think?) building in Boston, and some observation tower in Blackpool, England, and not once can I ever remember any sort of "security check" or "screening". You're going up a tower, not boarding an airplane. But yes, I'm sure there is a "security problem" with every single one of the towers

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:59 AM

Quote:
I've been to the observation decks of the then-Sears Tower in Vancouver (I think it's called Harbour Centre or Harbour Tower now), Calgary Tower, CN Tower in Edmonton, CN Tower in Toronto, Harbour Castle Hilton (now Harbour Castle Westin) in Toronto, Hancock (I think?) building in Boston, and some observation tower in Blackpool, England, and not once can I ever remember any sort of "security check" or "screening". You're going up a tower, not boarding an airplane. But yes, I'm sure there is a "security problem" with every single one of the towers
both the GE building and ESB observation decks have metal detectors and bag checks....not to mention just about every other office skyscraper ive been to...(Metlife tower,NYT bldg,WTC 7,50 exchange place etc.)

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 4:20 AM

The ESB has security, but I dont remember any such security to go up the Rock.

But theres a huge difference between a privately owned observation deck AND A GIANT OPEN PUBLIC PLAZA.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
The ESB has security, but I dont remember any such security to go up the Rock.

But theres a huge difference between a privately owned observation deck AND A GIANT OPEN PUBLIC PLAZA.
when u go up the stairs and go through the atrium with the huge bldg model and the video before you get to the elevators there is a security check.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 9:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
both the GE building and ESB observation decks have metal detectors and bag checks....not to mention just about every other office skyscraper ive been to...(Metlife tower,NYT bldg,WTC 7,50 exchange place etc.)
I'm not doubting that they do. But the towers that don't have such extreme measures don't have any "security issues". I've never been to any towers or buildings with such measures, and I've never heard of any security issues at any of the buildings I've been to. It's unfortunate that all those buildings you mention feel the need to do this, but I doubt it's going to go away anytime soon. It's a culture of fear.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 12:21 AM

taken April 30, 2011

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 5:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

They're dismantling the crane above the transit plaza.

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/grou...groundZero.swf

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not doubting that they do. But the towers that don't have such extreme measures don't have any "security issues". I've never been to any towers or buildings with such measures, and I've never heard of any security issues at any of the buildings I've been to. It's unfortunate that all those buildings you mention feel the need to do this, but I doubt it's going to go away anytime soon. It's a culture of fear.
I don't want to go too far off topic, but you're either talking out of your ass or you haven't been to any observation decks in Chicago or NYC in recent years. Sears, John Hancock, ESB, and 30 Rock all have metal detectors and bag checks. Even the old WTC had them.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
They're dismantling the crane above the transit plaza.

That's the first time I've seen that Manitowoc used in months! Seems like a huge waste of $$ to have had it just sitting there, idle for so long.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I don't want to go too far off topic, but you're either talking out of your ass or you haven't been to any observation decks in Chicago or NYC in recent years. Sears, John Hancock, ESB, and 30 Rock all have metal detectors and bag checks. Even the old WTC had them.

I already said that I have no doubt that they DO have them. Do you even bother reading people's posts before you respond, or do you just spew off at the mouth without thought? Show me where I suggested that any observation decks in Chicago or NY DON'T have them. Hell, I even said in the post you quoted, "I'm not doubting that they do" (have security checks).

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 7:30 PM

Pretty big day as the crane finally comes down:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture