HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post

Mandel unveils $100 million luxury apartment tower for east side

Pretty slick looking building and I could be wrong, but I see this one running into LOTS of opposition from neighbors and the city. A tower a few blocks away just got shot down for being "too dense" and this tower has over 30 more units. I didn't know buildings downtown could be "too dense" but apparently in Milwaukee they can. In the meantime, it's great eye candy though. I guess we will have to wait and see what sort of reaction the city has to this one.
Could be wrong on this, but I see Portfolio as having a much easier time getting approval. The issues with the Goll Mansion NIMBYism is two fold, with historic preservationists not wanting any changes to the mansion, and more importantly the next door condo owners complain about density issues and lost views.

The two neighboring properties to Portfolio are the Jewish Museum and the 4 story Lake Bluff Condos, which happens to be another Mandel property. I just don't think they'll be complaining about lost views like the 1522 Condos residents are.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:25 PM

Former east side church razed to create large development site

Quote:
A former church on Milwaukee's east side is being demolished to create a large site that could be developed as apartments.

The two-story building, with around 35,000 square feet, is at 1632-1648 N. Franklin Place, about one block south of E. Brady St. It was built in 1949 as a Boys Club, which closed several years ago.

The building is owned by KC Franklin Partners LLC, which last week began razing it. The property includes a one-acre lot, according to city assessment records.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadMKE View Post
Could be wrong on this, but I see Portfolio as having a much easier time getting approval. The issues with the Goll Mansion NIMBYism is two fold, with historic preservationists not wanting any changes to the mansion, and more importantly the next door condo owners complain about density issues and lost views.

The two neighboring properties to Portfolio are the Jewish Museum and the 4 story Lake Bluff Condos, which happens to be another Mandel property. I just don't think they'll be complaining about lost views like the 1522 Condos residents are.
That makes sense with Mandel owning the neighboring property and I'm sure the Jewish Museum won't be complaining about views like condo owners do.

I guess I just never know what to expect when it comes to city/public reaction to these new projects being proposed. I don't understand how the city balks at the Goll mansion proposal because of it's density when that project is on the streetcar route and the city has been on record saying one of the benefits of the streetcar is attracting dense, tax-generating development along the route. Same thing with that 10-story Klein development on the river. It gets shot down for lack of parking when the city is always advocating for walkable, non car-dependent developments. So they kill that proposal but are quick to initially approve the 18-story River Tower that has no parking incorporated with it. Just seems like some shifty moves on the city's part to please a handful of residents at the expense of tax-generating developments that will benefit the city as a whole.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:42 AM

Nothing new here, just an update on a project currently under construction, but Dominion hints at another, possibly lakefront, location. They did have plans a few year back for a 10-story tower but those were replaced by the current 26-story proposal at the Goll Mansion site. I would love to see Dominion develop a new tower that follows the same environmentally sustainable guidelines as their past projects. Hopefully something taller than 10 stories though, especially if it's a lakefront site.

New east side apartment building is green from top to bottom

Quote:
Meanwhile, Dominion is planning a third Sage apartment building, said O'Connor, who declined to disclose the location.

"I think the next project is going to be called Sage on the Lake," he said, giving a broad hint about its likely site. "It's the best location yet."

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:18 PM

Developer plans another east side apartment building

Quote:
A five-story, 33-unit apartment building is being proposed for an east side Milwaukee neighborhood that has seen several similar developments.

Wiechmann Enterprises is proposing the building for a site at 1623-1639 N. Jackson St., according to a new Common Council zoning resolution.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:51 PM

East side high-rise developer proposes lower apartment count

Quote:
The developer who wants to build a high-rise at the Goll House site on Milwaukee's east side is reducing the tower's number of apartments after city officials raised concerns about the proposal's density.

Madison developer Chris Houden's revised plans are calling for a 27-story building with 192 units, according to a new Department of City Development report.

Houden would develop the tower on a 27,938-square-foot site at 1550 N. Prospect Ave.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 1:59 AM

Demolitions, Bradley Center renovations set stage for Bucks arena

Quote:
With a groundbreaking ceremony set for June 18, the site for the new Milwaukee Bucks arena will soon see its three remaining buildings razed.

Meanwhile, the neighboring BMO Harris Bradley Center is undergoing renovations as part of that project.

Finally, work is finishing on the nearby Park East strip to prepare for construction of the arena parking structure and the Bucks training facility.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:33 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post
I like the color scheme of this building assuming it doesn't change.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I like the color scheme of this building assuming it doesn't change.

It actually has changed a bit since it was first proposed. This is the rendering that will be discussed at June 13 CPC Meeting. I'm assuming it will gain approval. I like it but I think I liked the previous rendering better.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:45 AM

Irgens completes purchase of Third Ward site
Office building construction will begin when anchor tenant is secured

Quote:
An affiliate of Milwaukee-based commercial real estate development firm Irgens has closed on the purchase of the Third Ward site where it intends to develop a five-story, 168,00-square-foot office building.

Young Street Development Partners, LLC, purchased the 0.8-acre property at 143 N. Milwaukee St. from Babcock Automobile Spring Company for $2.1 million, according to state real estate records.

The company is planning One Catalano Square at the site and will begin construction once a tenant is secured.
A nice 5-story, Third Ward infill project. I can't imagine this one will take very long to secure a tenant the way office space has been gobbled up recently in Milwaukee. A few companies already on the hunt to relocate. I could see Master Lock or Garnder Denver moving here. The views of downtown from the rooftop balcony are going to be amazing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:56 AM

Wisconsin has 10 firms on 2016 Fortune 500 list
Up from 8 in 2015

Quote:
The Wisconsin-based companies on the Fortune 500 list are:

Johnson Controls, 70
Northwestern Mutual, 100
ManpowerGroup, 144
Kohl’s, 145
American Family Insurance Group, 332
Rockwell Automation, 412
Oshkosh, 424
Harley-Davidson, 432
WEC Energy, 437
Fiserv, 492
8 of which (highlighted) are in Metro Milwaukee which is pretty impressive for a metro of about 2 million.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quick update on the arena. Looks like demolition of the last couple structures on site is finished. Barricades now surround the entire arena site with the future parking structure and practice facility sites sectioned off. Groundbreaking next Saturday and everything is ready to go !

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:00 AM

Thanks for the update bucksfan15.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:48 PM

Germania Building restoration has finally started!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:20 PM

City funds proposed for new RiverWalk segments

Quote:
Finally, $1.6 million would help finance a 280-foot RiverWalk and dock wall, and build the stub end of E. Oregon St., next to the $30 million 234 Apartments, 234 S.Water St.

Developer David Winograd plans to open that 12-story, 164-unit apartment building by spring 2018.
I think the big takeaway from this article is that 234 S Water should be starting soon if it is going to be open by Spring 2018.

Otherwise the other sites receiving city funds for Riverwalk segments are Bader Rutter's new HQ and North End IV and both those projects are already underway.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 4:04 PM

From the air: Photographer catches bird's-eye view of southeast Wisconsin construction sites: Slideshow

A slideshow of some really cool aerial shots of Milwaukee Metro's biggest construction projects...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:15 PM

Goll Mansion project moves forward with Historic Preservation Commission approval
Brewers Hill apartment development also advances

Quote:
The city’s plan commission raised questions about the development’s effect on traffic and if it would provide residents with adequate parking. The proposal includes 212 parking spaces. Despite the 3-3 vote, the proposal will move forward to the city’s Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee July 19 and later, the Common Council.

The key was getting the certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission, Tuesday, which was unanimous.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:24 PM

In case anyone who reads this is interested, Milwaukee has some major developments happening in the suburbs with the Mayfair Collection in Tosa probably the biggest/most notable. They are about to build over 1,000 apartments adding to what has already been built there including retail (already fully leased), numerous restaurants, and a hotel. It's also just down the street from SE Wisconsin's premier shopping mall, Mayfair, which just opened the state's first Nordstrom. There is also a ton of other non-related residential development happening in the immediate area with The Reserve, The 2100, State Street Station, The Reef, and The Echelon. Lots of cranes in the suburbs also.

Burleigh corridor in Wauwatosa becoming a major retail destination

Quote:
Phase one of Mayfair Collection, which opened in 2014, includes Nordstrom Rack, Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th and other stores. The second phase includes a Whole Foods store, a HomeGoods store, the Bartolotta’s restaurants and a Homewood Suites by Hilton hotel.

Beginning in summer 2016, HSA Commercial and its residential development partner, Fiduciary Real Estate Development, will begin phase one of the residential component, which includes 250 apartments at what is being called “The District.” Over the next five years, 1,100 apartments are expected there.

“There are going to be 1,100 apartments built here in two-and-a-half years,” Bartolotta said. “There is going to be a lot of density, and we’re going to be in the heart of it. I’ve learned that to be successful, you have to have a lot of bodies around you.”

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 7:35 PM

Multiple cranes going up at the arena site with a big light up sign that says "Build The Future". All ready to break ground tomorrow!!

I'll try and post pictures later...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:12 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations