HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 2:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

CTBUH 2015 New York Conference - Robert Cotter, "Jersey City on the Rise"

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 6:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jersey City Warehouse Is Reborn As Rentals At 350 Warren Street

Quote:
While developers tear down old industrial buildings left and right in downtown Jersey City, one builder has chosen to preserve and convert the huge Butler Brothers warehouse at 350 Warren Street.

The half-million-square-foot brick structure fills most of a block between Bay, Warren, Morgan, and Washington streets, near the Grove Street PATH station. The Butler Brothers ran a mail-order business and a chain of five and dime stores, and they built the eight-story warehouse in 1905. It is, perhaps, the largest reminder of Jersey City’s industrial history in this neighborhood, the Powerhouse Arts District.

Now, the Butler Brothers building has been renovated into 366 apartments and renamed “Modera Lofts.” The developers were able to salvage a surprising number of industrial details and incorporate them throughout the common areas.

[...]
======================
Credit: REBECCA BAIRD-REMBA

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 7:46 PM

Ellipse Update

Moving slowly. They finally finished the second floor. Lots of work on the sea wall to the left. Looks like it will be a nice addition to the Hudson River Walkway

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
CTBUH 2015 New York Conference - Robert Cotter, "Jersey City on the Rise"

Video Link
There is some fascinating comments made in that video.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 7:06 PM

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-in-new-nabes/

50 percent ruled but read the full article from http://TheRealDeal.com
Quote:
Many eyes are focused on Bayfront, which is on the west side of Jersey City, on the Hackensack River. A 100-acre parcel there, owned by Honeywell International, the Morristown-based thermostat manufacturer, is seeking developers who could build a dense mixed-use community of up to 8,100 housing units, 1 million square feet of offices, 600,000 square feet of stores and restaurants and 12,000 parking spaces. The master plan also includes three parks.

The site, polluted with chromium, has been in cleanup mode for years. But the project — whose 11.32 million square feet tops TRD’s list of the largest developments planned for Northern New Jersey — is slated to break ground this year, with a projected completion date in 2043. The project won $2 million in state tax breaks in April 2016.

Journal Squared’s first 640,000-square foot tower consists of 538 studio to three- bedroom apartments to rent and 20,000 square feet of amenities, including an outdoor pool. A second 1 million-square-foot tower is scheduled to break ground in the spring of 2017 and open in the summer of 2019. The third tower, with 700,000 square feet, will begin construction in 2019 and finish in 2021, according to Jonathan Kushner, the firm’s president. Those last two phases represent the fourth-biggest project on TRD’s development list.

According to Kushner, Jersey City’s market is dominated by residents who can’t afford New York City rents. In the first quarter of 2016, one-bedrooms in Hudson County, which includes Jersey City, rented for an average of $1,890 a month, according to data prepared by the New Jersey Multiple Listing Service. In contrast, Manhattan one-bedrooms averaged $3,458, according to a report from Douglas Elliman Real Estate.

Expected to crest at 56 stories, One Journal Square is a fifth-place finisher on TRD’s top development list. The mixed-use project — which includes apartments, stores and offices — has been approved by zoning officials and received $93 million in tax breaks from the state. It is being co-developed by KABR Group and Kushner Companies, whose president is Jared Kushner, Jonathan’s cousin.

Another notable entry on the development list is 99 Hudson Street, a skyscraping 79-story, 781-unit tower that would become New Jersey’s tallest building. Rising on the waterfront in Jersey City, the tower is a rare New Jersey condo. Ranking sixth on our list, this project is also the first in the area led by a Chinese developer.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 11:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: Cast Iron Lofts

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 1:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I guess the elephant in the room for the last couple of days is news that JC has heights and floor data for 3 towers over 700 ft!

1) One Journal Square (City Center Towers) | 700 & 892 FT | 56 & 79 FLOORS

2) 30 Journal Square Plaza | 799 FT | 72 FLOORS

And for a feel good fact that Urban Ready Living has 2 more phases, in which two more 700 ft towers will rise, and that sales are good with URL phase 1, and thus phase 2 will start. Developers for that project want to reach a certain % of sales before phase 2 starts.

This is also a great list from CIA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
[B]

By total height, including all buildings:

99 Hudson - 899ft - 79 stories - under construction
One Journal Square II - 892ft - 79 stories - approved
30 Journal Square - 799ft - 72 stories - approved
Goldman Sachs Tower - 781ft - 42 stories - built
Journal Squared II - 742ft - 70 stories - approved
URL Harborside I - 713ft - 69 stories - topped out
URL Harborside II - 713ft - 69 stories - approved
URL Harborside III - 713ft - 69 stories - approved
One Journal Square I - 700ft - 56 stories - approved
Journal Squared III - 635ft - 60 stories - approved
San Remo - 610ft? - 61 stories - proposed
Journal Squared I - 562ft - 54 stories - topped out
Merrill Lynch Building - 548ft - 42 stories - built
65 Bay Street (Trump II) - 535ft - 50 stories - topped out
Trump Plaza I - 532ft - 55 stories - built
Newport Tower - 521ft - 37 stories - built
33 Park I - 510ft - 44 stories - under construction
33 Park II - 510ft - 44 stories - approved
70 Columbus - 500ft - 50 stories - topped out
90 Columbus - 500ft - 50 stories - under construction
The Monaco I - 500ft - 50 stories - built
The Monaco II - 500ft - 50 stories - built
70 Greene - 500ft - 50 stories - built
77 Greene - 500ft - 50 stories - built

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:56 PM

New version of One Journal Square was approved recently http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...towers_mo.html and last week a promo fence was raised, tiny step forward. Wonder if ground braking was ever announced?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:06 PM

There is a new 50-60 story tower and midrise planned on the parking lots behind the Lowes Theather adjacent to the PATH rail corridor. The plan includes significant public open space and a direct connection to PATH.

By my count that's now 79, 72, 70, 65, 60, 56, 54, 42, 25, 25, 20, 14, 13, 12, 12, 12 story towers planned, approved, or under construction in Journal Square.

That's got to be close to a national record in terms of height and square feet of development in a single neighborhood. And you thought PATH was crowded before!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:11 PM

One of the downsides is that land prices have been soaring, and with the coming reval planned for JC, a lot of land owners are going to experience a shock when they get their new tax bills. I would not be surprised if several of the underutilized, older single story buildings are sold off for redevelopment post revaluation because their owners can't afford the tax bill and could millions in the bank.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:30 PM

They need a second PATH station near Journal Square, just to the west. I hear this is something planned for the near-future.

Also, PATH will need to be all 10-car trains, and need to run at absolute shortest intervals possible.

Even with all these improvements, a second PATH line will probably be needed, one day. I don't see how one east-west line will work decades into the future.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:04 PM

Info on the new towers planned behind Lowes Theater will be presented to the planning board at City Hall tomorrow. Anyone want to check them out and report back?

Hoping for another 60 story tower!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 5:40 AM

I didn't expect things so soon for preliminary approval of the Planning Board for the Loew's towers...hmmmmm CIA hinting that the 42 story larger tower could actually morph to at least 50 stories? intriguing and I love it... wish I could go to the meeting but will look forward to returning from work tomorrow night to hear the details. The big thing though that was just brought up and t is ESSENTIAL... with all this development the PATH has to be significantly upgraded and soon in terms of greater capacity and frequency. Doesn't mean overnight but after they do the work with the 33rd Street trains into Manhattan being eliminated on weekends for the rest of the year, concentration on upgrading capacity and frequency must be emphasized. That area is going to be amazing in five years or so...ten years it should be thriving and a major destination spot. But the transit system has to keep up with the transformation of the area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 7:30 PM

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ic_school.html

No details yet except that it includes a new public school, a public plaza, and up to 750 units, 37 of which would be affordable.

We're looking at another ~50 story tower. Sweet!

The 500ft List

99 Hudson - 899ft - 79 stories - under construction
One Journal Square II - 892ft - 79 stories - approved
30 Journal Square - 799ft - 72 stories - approved
Goldman Sachs Tower - 781ft - 42 stories - built
Journal Squared II - 742ft - 70 stories - approved
URL Harborside I - 713ft - 69 stories - topped out
URL Harborside II - 713ft - 69 stories - approved
URL Harborside III - 713ft - 69 stories - approved
One Journal Square I - 700ft - 56 stories - approved
Journal Squared III - 635ft - 60 stories - approved
San Remo - 610ft? - 61 stories - proposed
Journal Squared I - 562ft - 54 stories - topped out
Merrill Lynch Building - 548ft - 42 stories - built
65 Bay Street (Trump II) - 535ft - 50 stories - topped out
Trump Plaza I - 532ft - 55 stories - built
Newport Tower - 521ft - 37 stories - built
33 Park I - 510ft - 44 stories - under construction
33 Park II - 510ft - 44 stories - approved
Behind Lowes Theater - ??? - ~50 stories - proposed
25 Columbus - ???ft - ~50 stories - proposed
70 Columbus - 500ft - 50 stories - topped out
90 Columbus - 500ft - 50 stories - under construction
The Monaco I - 500ft - 50 stories - built
The Monaco II - 500ft - 50 stories - built
70 Greene - 500ft - 50 stories - built
77 Greene - 500ft - 50 stories - built

New additions this month are in red.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:23 AM

They could only get 37 units designated as affordable? Usually they try for 20% and I would want to hold them on this. I'd ideally go a little higher but understand the returns have to justify the investment, but 37 would only be 5% of up to 750 units and that's kind of insulting. Nonetheless more school space that will be essential for our growing population and a sizable public plaza and very substantial 750 units possibly(I'm gathering all in one tower only) will make this another blockbuster on the skyline at likely 50 + plus stories.. I'm greatly anticipating hearing a lot more about 25 Columbus in the new future.

So what about the Loew's tower... anything heard at the meeting or will it be presented at another meeting?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 6:31 AM

I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but I'm guessing we'll hear something in the media in the next couple of days.

The volume and magnitude of developments in the pipeline is truly incredible. Well over 10,000 units are currently under construction, and ample supply is ready to break ground. The new residences going up in Journal Square can be a 20 minute commute to the World Trade Center door-to-door. If marketed right, the units under construction should be snapped up very quick.

More developers should come to ultra pro-development Jersey City and get in on the action. What are you waiting for, developers!? I would not be surprised to see a 100 story proposal next year. Goldman Sachs is still sitting on their development sites, especially 55 Hudson. Hopefully we hear more concrete news about their plans soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 6:43 AM

Here is an interesting link:

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...al-square/5944

Quote:
“It’s a transit hub that’s attracting developers for its easier land costs, and lower construction costs,” explained Ken Pasternack, chairman of KABR Group, which is co-developing both One and 30 Journal Square with Kushner Companies. (The two towers will bring around 4,000 new units to the area, he said.) Pasternack thinks that by 2020, the neighborhood will be reinvented with new residential, retail and office space, all thanks to demand from priced-out New Yorkers looking for cheaper rent. “Rents for a new-development high rise will be $40 a square foot here, as opposed to $100 in Manhattan,” he said. “We’re betting tens of millions of dollars that in the next 10 years, the neighborhood will be a brand on par with Brooklyn.”

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 4:21 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So which one of the three Journal Square towers pictured above is completed? Is it the 2nd tallest or 3rd tallest in that trio?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 7:42 PM

The shortest one at 54 floors. To come is the 60 and 70 floor buildings. I would also not be surprised to see a bump in height for the later two of the first one leases out quickly and is a resounding success.

The plan for the Lowes Theater towers by Hartz Mountain was approved last night. The 25 Columbus site was also approved but with conditions. I don't know what those conditions are, but I would not be surprised if it was to limit the height, unfourtanetly. We should get the details before the end of this year.

I'm also disappointed that the 20 floor building planned for JFK Blvd was defered to the next meeting. Hopefully it will be approved then as its a very important site that will set the standard for redevelopment of the area.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 11:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The shortest one at 54 floors. To come is the 60 and 70 floor buildings. I would also not be surprised to see a bump in height for the later two of the first one leases out quickly and is a resounding success.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations