HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:02 PM
I concede

Cool. Thanks guys. A part of me still prefers to have an area code completely dedicated to Birmingham metro (much of the code extends deep into western and southern Alabama). Just whining.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:08 PM
I have lurking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Cool. Thanks guys. A part of me still prefers to have an area code completely dedicated to Birmingham metro (much of the code extends deep into western and southern Alabama). Just whining.
That could very well be what the new overlay is for down the road. The word "overlay" is really just an industry term for new area code. It's OK to whine. Civic pride isn't a bad thing.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:15 PM
Closed account

I remember when 205 was around the whole state. I went through 205,334, now 251.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
It's OK to whine. Civic pride isn't a bad thing.

What???

(inside joke)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:25 PM
I have lurking issues

Tim, I remember that also. It wasn't all that long ago.

Last edited by Evan; Sep 25, 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:25 PM
I have lurking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
What???

(inside joke)
Yeah, yeah, I know. I retracted remember.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:29 PM
Closed account

Crazy world we live in, I am lost.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:40 PM
I have lurking issues

heh. It's OK. Like Bravo said, it's an inside thing. You had to be there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 6:56 PM
Transport Planner

I tried searching back for it, but had no success...what exactly is the Wyatt project? Is it a hotel?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 7:48 PM
Closed account

Are you referring to the project on 20th Street near UAB?

If so... that is the new Residence Inn. Wyatt is the general contractor and have their name plastered all over the fences

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:59 PM
Closed account

Mountain Brook's 4th village slowly moving ahead?

Quote:
Overton Village developers slowly moving ahead with $30 million project
Luxury condos, shops, restaurants all in works for Mountain Brook development
Sunday, September 28, 2008
MICHAEL TOMBERLIN
News staff writer
It takes patience to raise a village.

Developers of the $30 million Overton Village are discovering that reality as they slowly move forward with plans to create a third village to join Mountain Brook's established Crestline, English and Mountain Brook villages.

Already 2½ years in the making, it could be another two years before work on the condo and retail project is realized, developers said.

A new model of the four-building development now serves as a small-scale version of what is to come. The model is in the Overton Village sales trailer on the site of the future project on Fairhaven Drive off Overton Road.

"We're enthusiastic about the design and we believe this model will make it easier to share that enthusiasm with others," said Sally Tuttle, sales agent with Ingram & Associates and the Condominium Shoppe, the firm tasked with selling the 58 condos.

The enthusiasm has been tempered by the national housing and financial crisis, which has severely affected housing and condo projects throughout Birmingham, Alabama and the U.S.

But developer Ron Rich, principal with commercial real estate firm Leitman-Perlman-Rich Inc., said he believes Overton Village's location makes it less susceptible to what is happening elsewhere.

"We're concerned about the market but we feel like we're in a location that is not as market-sensitive as other areas," he said.

Rich and principal Marc Perlman are developers along with assistance from Formation Methods.

Grand plans:

The three-story buildings were designed by Cohen Carnaggio Reynolds architecture firm. They're meant to have an Old English feel that looks at home with the other Mountain Brook villages but yet stands on its own.

"We really studied the other villages for inspiration with what we're doing here," said architect Tammy Cohen, who is working on Overton Village along with Michael Hallisey in her firm.

Cohen said the project includes lots of green space, pocket parks and courtyards. The four small buildings in the master plan were meant to be more pedestrian friendly than one or two larger buildings. The buildings named Avon, Surrey and Redding are mirror-image buildings set to be built between Fairhaven and Poe drives. The Loxley building will front Fairhaven and is distinguished by a turret designed in the front.

Because three of the buildings are in Mountain Brook and the fourth one is in Vestavia Hills, Cohen said there were challenges to come up with a design and site plan both municipalities found acceptable.

In the end, she is happy with the final concept.

"I think it fits great in that existing neighborhood," she said. "Hopefully, it fits in with the entire area."

The 6,000 square feet of retail space will be spread along the ground floor of the buildings. Plans call for boutique shops and restaurants. The retail should mesh with the existing retail center and Publix grocery store but also is intended to not be disruptive to the nearby residential neighborhood, Rich said.

Luxury living:

But the retail is meant to be the supporting cast. The condos are the star.

Amenities like 10-foot ceilings, eight-foot solid doors, maple hardwood floors, carpeted bedrooms and ceramic tile bathrooms and kitchens are selling points. Custom wood cabinetry, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and pre-wired audio-video and computer systems are others.

Each condo will have a balcony and its own fireplace with stone hearth and wood mantel. Though there are "chimneys" on the buildings, the fireplaces are ventless.

The condos' floor plans range from the $294,900 one-bedroom, 1½-bathroom Bishop to the $874,900 four-bedroom, 4½-bathroom Hartley.

Construction will start when a building is 80 percent pre-sold, Tuttle said. She did not disclose the current pre-sold levels.

Tuttle said there has been interest from potential buyers from all walks of life, but a prime market appears to be those who live in nearby homes who are either empty-nesters or at an age where the upkeep of a large home or yard is no longer appealing.

Others have expressed interest in the close proximity to The Summit shopping center and Interstate 459, she said.

"What we're finding is because there is nothing else like it in this area, we're getting interest even in this current market," Tuttle said.

E-mail: mtomberlin@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:14 PM
Honored Member

I wonder how this is going to affect Birmingham.

Quote:
Citigroup will acquire Wachovia
Posted by Associated Press September 29, 2008 8:12 AM

NEW YORK -- Citigroup Inc. will acquire the banking operations of Wachovia Corp., one of the nation's largest banks, in a deal facilitated by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

Citigroup will absorb up to $42 billion of losses in the deal, with the FDIC covering any remaining losses, the government agency said Monday. Citigroup also will grant the FDIC $12 billion in preferred stock and warrants.

Wachovia is a central part of Birmingham's business community, employing about 1,600 people. It bought Birmingham's SouthTrust, whose roots go back to 1887, for $14.3 billion in stock in 2004. When the deal closed in November of that year, Wachovia shares sold for about $49. They closed at $10 Friday, an 80 percent decrease from when the SouthTrust purchase was completed.

The FDIC asserted that Wachovia didn't fail, and that all depositors are protected and there will be no cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund.

"For Wachovia customers, today's action will ensure seamless continuity of service from their bank and full protection for all of their deposits." said FDIC Chairman Sheila C. Bair. "There will be no interruption in services and bank customers should expect business as usual."

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, in a statement Monday, said he supports the "timely actions" taken by the FDIC "which demonstrate our government's unwavering commitment to financial and economic stability."

The sale of Wachovia Corp. comes just days after the government's seizure of Seattle-based Washington Mutual Inc. -- the largest bank failure in U.S. history.

Wachovia has been among the banks hardest hit by the ongoing crisis in e mortgage market. Its current problems stem largely from its acquisition of mortgage lender Golden West Financial Corp. in 2006 for roughly $25 billion at the height of the nation's housing boom.

With that purchase, Wachovia inherited a deteriorating $122 billion portfolio of Pick-A-Payment loans, Golden West's specialty, which let borrowers skip some payments.

This weekend Citigroup was reportedly in competition with Wells Fargo and Spain's Banco Santander for the struggling bank. Banco Santander declined to comment early Monday and Wells Fargo spokesmen could not be immediately reached for comment.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:25 PM
Closed account

Disgusting!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:57 PM
Trendy.

I wish JPMorgan had gotten Wachovia and WaMu... Oh well.

We could still buy Regions

A multi-national bank in Alabama is actually a good thing to me.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:11 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Situations like these make me happy that Regions never embarked on one of those massive expansion campaigns like Wachovia did recently after mergers. I don't think that the buyout of Wachovia will have a huge impact on Birmingham. If anything, you might see some people switching to Regions.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:14 PM
Trendy.

I don't think you'll see much of that. I would much rather trust my money with a financial giant that can offer me more products and services as well as convenience and a cutoff time that's after 2:00 o'clock.

Amsouth is very 1980s when it comes to technology.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:26 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
I don't think you'll see much of that. I would much rather trust my money with a financial giant that can offer me more products and services as well as convenience and a cutoff time that's after 2:00 o'clock.

Anyone whose mortgage is held by Citimortgage (mine was bought out be them earlier this year) will want nothing to do with any Citigroup entity. Worst customer service ever (based in India...reps are robots who are difficult to understand and can't answer anything but the most basic questions).

Last edited by Randy Sandford; Sep 29, 2008 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Situations like these make me happy that Regions never embarked on one of those massive expansion campaigns like Wachovia did recently after mergers. I don't think that the buyout of Wachovia will have a huge impact on Birmingham. If anything, you might see some people switching to Regions.
Regions did go on these buying sprees back in the 90's... I should know I spent a ton of time all throughtout Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc. when FCC was purchased and converted. Regions then sold their soul to Satan with the Union Planter's merger. That one brought Jack Moore into the mix and he was the person that orchestrated the merger with ScAmSouth. The rest is history and the bank is just a joke (and a shell of its former self).

IF people are dumb enough to jump to Regions, they will figure it out soon enough and jump again to a bank that really cares about their business. Trouble is, those banks seem to be HARDER and HARDER to find!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
... and a cutoff time that's after 2:00 o'clock.

EVERYTHING related to technology took a big step backwards with that merger. Branches that had not written paper G/L tickets in a decade, suddenly had to start writing them again... shame, shame, shame...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 8:40 PM
Trendy.

Well, I don't think Regions will be around by the end of the year. It's on the lists of regional banks to possibly fail.

National City, Key, Regions, 5/3...

Stocks today:

Sovereign Bancorp - Down 72%
National City - Down 63%
Fifth Third - Down 44%
FirstFed Financial - Down 44%
Regions - Down 41%
KeyCorp - Down 33%

Now is not a fun time to be in banking.

Last edited by Sulley; Sep 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast