HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I have driven the 11 many times and it is always quite busy all the way to Miramichi...obviously it is busiest at Shediac and very gradually peters off the further away you get.

That being said I drove from Saint John to St Andrews last weekend on a nice weather Saturday around 6pm and was flabbergasted at the lack of traffic...maybe it was an odd time of day but it was comically vacant of cars for such a large highway.

I'm not saying that section didn't deserve twinning, only that if it does...the 11 certainly does too...at least to Richibucto
That section was only twinned in anticipation of the possibility of Maine building Interstate 92 from St. Stephen to near Sherbrooke (If that route never happens, it's planned to go to Bangor). Volumes are still high enough for a freeway at some times along most of the route, but until Maine DOT does anything it's not fully necessary.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
That section was only twinned in anticipation of the possibility of Maine building Interstate 92 from St. Stephen to near Sherbrooke (If that route never happens, it's planned to go to Bangor). Volumes are still high enough for a freeway at some times along most of the route, but until Maine DOT does anything it's not fully necessary.
I think that was possibly linked to the I395 project that would have seen the 395 being extended from just after Bangor to the new Calais to St-Stephen border crossing and I think for now that project is on the shelves pending aproval and one thing that i have heard some of the opposition to the project is some of the residents dont like where some of the exits are.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I think that was possibly linked to the I395 project that would have seen the 395 being extended from just after Bangor to the new Calais to St-Stephen border crossing and I think for now that project is on the shelves pending aproval and one thing that i have heard some of the opposition to the project is some of the residents dont like where some of the exits are.
Interesting read regarding that project: http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2...ou-doing-maine

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 5:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Interesting read regarding that project: http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2...ou-doing-maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Marohn
We have overbuilt our auto-based transportation infrastructure and lack the money to maintain it all. Thus, the system is going to contract in the coming years. If we want to prosper, we need to start thinking differently about transportation, starting with a realization that places built for automobiles lose money while places built for people generate lasting wealth.
Something that NB should absolutely be taking note of.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Something that NB should absolutely be taking note of.
Amen!!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 2:54 PM

Here is a video that was taken from a drone showing the progress of the work on the new overpass being constructed in Shediac for the new highway.

Shediac new Highway construction 2016

Credit Daniel Lanteigne

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:07 PM

When is it scheduled to open?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:59 PM

This past weekend, I did a bit of a loop road trip, just to see parts of the province I've never been to (or haven't been to in a long long time).

I went up Route 8 to Miramichi, then down the 126 to Rogersville, across the 480 to Route 11 and on down to Moncton.

All in all, for a Weekend Summer drive, it was a pleasant experience (and much better than the endless forest you get taking the TCH Freddy to Moncton). The roads were in good condition for the most part; though a couple of bridges seem past due for widening/replacement. Traffic wasn't too bad either, even with the big concert in Shediac, and the roads seemed more than capable of handling the traffic levels.

The only time I felt a bit tight traffic wise, was Route 11 between Richibucto and Shediac (mainly Bouctouche to Shediac). That route really needs some passing lanes at the very least; and could probably warrant twinning. I had to pass a trailer leaving Richibucto and had to use a deadman passing lane (passing in the opposing traffic lane) to get by. Towards the end, the last 10km before Shediac, there was about a dozen of us stuck behind a car doing about 90 in the 100 zone with no room to pass.

A week before, I once again went to Moncton (I've been playing a lot of Ingress and getting unique portal and missions completed while I have the wheels. ), and this time cut down to Sussex and took Route 1. A great ride, and once again much better than the TCH. Once again, I'm really lamenting that we didn't shoot the TCH down to Sussex and took the Route 1 route to Moncton. Going along Route 1, it was comforting to know that you are still in civilization even in the forest. Plus the road seemed a lot more active in general (but it was a Sunday of a long weekend trip. )

Anyway, just reiterating how boring the Coles Island to Salisbury stretch of the TCH is, and how interesting the other routes are.

Really, at this point, if the province were to say "We're going to twin Route 10 from Coles Island to Sussex, reroute Route 2 that way and close off the current stretch", I would probably support them, even though we can't afford it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
This past weekend, I did a bit of a loop road trip, just to see parts of the province I've never been to (or haven't been to in a long long time).

I went up Route 8 to Miramichi, then down the 126 to Rogersville, across the 480 to Route 11 and on down to Moncton.

All in all, for a Weekend Summer drive, it was a pleasant experience (and much better than the endless forest you get taking the TCH Freddy to Moncton). The roads were in good condition for the most part; though a couple of bridges seem past due for widening/replacement. Traffic wasn't too bad either, even with the big concert in Shediac, and the roads seemed more than capable of handling the traffic levels.

The only time I felt a bit tight traffic wise, was Route 11 between Richibucto and Shediac (mainly Bouctouche to Shediac). That route really needs some passing lanes at the very least; and could probably warrant twinning. I had to pass a trailer leaving Richibucto and had to use a deadman passing lane (passing in the opposing traffic lane) to get by. Towards the end, the last 10km before Shediac, there was about a dozen of us stuck behind a car doing about 90 in the 100 zone with no room to pass.

A week before, I once again went to Moncton (I've been playing a lot of Ingress and getting unique portal and missions completed while I have the wheels. ), and this time cut down to Sussex and took Route 1. A great ride, and once again much better than the TCH. Once again, I'm really lamenting that we didn't shoot the TCH down to Sussex and took the Route 1 route to Moncton. Going along Route 1, it was comforting to know that you are still in civilization even in the forest. Plus the road seemed a lot more active in general (but it was a Sunday of a long weekend trip. )

Anyway, just reiterating how boring the Coles Island to Salisbury stretch of the TCH is, and how interesting the other routes are.

Really, at this point, if the province were to say "We're going to twin Route 10 from Coles Island to Sussex, reroute Route 2 that way and close off the current stretch", I would probably support them, even though we can't afford it.
They probably should have built the highway from Jemseg to Sussex through Cambrige Narrows. But the route would have been less direct and not as quick. However economically it would have been huge for Sussex to get that extra traffic stopping there on their way to Moncton or parts beyond.

Another idea, We've talked about how a Sussex International Airport would be good for New Brunswick, but I think that even having it on the other side of Moncton would be good. What if the Airport had been built on Barry's Mills Road roughly where MO headquarters are, but on the north side of the road. If could have had a rail tie-in for freight and with VIA. It's much closer to most of Moncton, and could have spured industrial development in that area, rather than in Dieppe where the airport has helped grow one of Metros 3rd largest industrial cluster. I would have rather see a smaller number of bigger industrial areas then a bigger number of smaller industrial areas.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 8:13 PM

Having the TCH go via Sussex would have been less direct; but it would have routed the highway closer to Saint John and kept it close to towns and villages in general, which, in hindsight would have been a bigger boon in general. If we wanted a direct highway, they could have just pushed it through from Edmundston to Moncton direct through the middle of the province; but that ignores the secondary importance of the highway which is to link the communities along the way, not just provide a fast Point A to distant Point B connection.

Plus if Route 2 went to Sussex and onward, the twinning of Route 1 to Saint John from Sussex would probably have been all we'd need to be a 4 lane highway link between the tri-cities. (Instead of the triangle situation we're slowly growing into needing now; granted Freddy to Sussex to SJ does add 80km to the trip, so Route 7 would still be a major traffic route, but if you want highway all the way, it would be a viable alternative)

Now, if the highway was a few klicks or even 10-15km away from a town, then there wouldn't be a reason to divert it closer. But the way they routed Route 2 now is just sad; 85km of absolute nothing no where near anything else and not even a nugget that could grow into something is very disappointing.

Just checked google.

The existing TCH routing is 176km.
If Route 10 had been twinned to Sussex, the route would have been about 200km.

So for an extra 10 minutes of driving, we could have had a TCH route that actually stayed near communities for the entire (except CFB Gagetown) route.

Considering how the route was pre-TCH, the difference would have basically been irrelevant.

*Sigh* But that's all water under the Jemseg bridges now in any case, and we have what we have. But doesn't mean I particularly like it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:01 PM

I heard from someone today who knew people in the Government a couple years ago that the Soudouc exit was a preliminary step to the current realignment to highway 11. He said as far as he knew there was never plans for a Walmart distribution centre to be built there. Essentially it had to be built because they needed to divert all truck traffic away from the interchange of 11/15. It makes sense when you think about it, but I still think perhaps they were considering the location for the distribution centre.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I heard from someone today who knew people in the Government a couple years ago that the Soudouc exit was a preliminary step to the current realignment to highway 11. He said as far as he knew there was never plans for a Walmart distribution centre to be built there. Essentially it had to be built because they needed to divert all truck traffic away from the interchange of 11/15. It makes sense when you think about it, but I still think perhaps they were considering the location for the distribution centre.
According to an Ex Walmart Supervisor there where plans for an Atlantic Canadian Distribution centre while he was in his position. He does not seem to have any reason to lie about it but I still take it with a grain of salt. These plans would have been connected to the Sam's Club expansion within the region.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
According to an Ex Walmart Supervisor there where plans for an Atlantic Canadian Distribution centre while he was in his position. He does not seem to have any reason to lie about it but I still take it with a grain of salt. These plans would have been connected to the Sam's Club expansion within the region.
Perhaps the government was killing two birds with one stone. I don't know about SAMs Club though, they don't even exist in Canada at all.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Perhaps the government was killing two birds with one stone. I don't know about SAMs Club though, they don't even exist in Canada at all.
Sam's Club used to have a few locations in Ontario, but then they decided to retreat from the Canadian marketplace. I don't think they could compete with Costco. They may have been planning a Maritime expansion before they decamped the country. In any event, the rumours of a Wal Mart distribution centre in the Moncton area were pretty strong about 5-7 years ago, but nothing ever happened.

I'm not sure about the story of the Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange being necessary for the eventual 11/15 interchange realignment. I've never heard that before. I did hear that Scoudouc residents were tired of truck traffic to the industrial park passing through their community. I think the interchange was built partly to divert truck traffic, and partly to make the Scoudouc Industrial Park more attractive for development. This unfortunately has not happened, and I view this interchange as a huge waste of money.

They would have been far better off coming up with a suitable plan for the exit off the 15 for the Greater Moncton International Airport......

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 6:59 PM

WalMart didn't "plan" to build an Atlantic distribution centre.
They were, however, "considering" building one. There's a big difference.
This was well known in retail circles five or so years ago. The Scoudouc Industrial Park was one site among many in NB and NS under consideration.
Oh well.
I can't say for certain whether the potential to score the centre for the S.I.D. had any role to play in building what has (so far at least) turned out to be an overpass to nowhere. That might be a good question for Victor Boudreau, the MLA in Scoudouc at that time, heh heh.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sam's Club used to have a few locations in Ontario, but then they decided to retreat from the Canadian marketplace. I don't think they could compete with Costco. They may have been planning a Maritime expansion before they decamped the country. In any event, the rumours of a Wal Mart distribution centre in the Moncton area were pretty strong about 5-7 years ago, but nothing ever happened.

I'm not sure about the story of the Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange being necessary for the eventual 11/15 interchange realignment. I've never heard that before. I did hear that Scoudouc residents were tired of truck traffic to the industrial park passing through their community. I think the interchange was built partly to divert truck traffic, and partly to make the Scoudouc Industrial Park more attractive for development. This unfortunately has not happened, and I view this interchange as a huge waste of money.

They would have been far better off coming up with a suitable plan for the exit off the 15 for the Greater Moncton International Airport......
Sam's Club had 6 Canadian locations when they closed there doors this side of the border, and they don't say that is the reason they closed but it seems Costco was number one in Canada, and that could have put a stick in Walmart/Sam's Club's tires so to speak.

Reading up Sam's club seemed to have plans on tripling there Canadian locations but after issues arose that they could not get around they shut down plans of expansion, and shut down all operations afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted byL'homardWalMart didn't "plan" to build an Atlantic distribution centre.
They were, however, "considering" building one. There's a big difference.
This was well known in retail circles five or so years ago. The Scoudouc Industrial Park was one site among many in NB and NS under consideration.
Oh well.
I can't say for certain whether the potential to score the centre for the S.I.D. had any role to play in building what has (so far at least) turned out to be an overpass to nowhere. That might be a good question for Victor Boudreau, the MLA in Scoudouc at that time, heh heh.
You are sort of right. Walmart Canada din't have concrete plans on opening any new distribution centres in Atlantic Canada. But there where potential plans none the less.

I still find it a little strange that the interchange was built around the same time Walmart even talked about a new Sam's Club, and potential distribution centre. At that time it was rumored to be so Walmart could keep stocks closer to there stores, and therefore easier to deliver when needed.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 9:19 PM

New Costco Gas Bar?

Whoops! Don't know how I managed to confuse the Saint John Retail page with this one....

Last edited by Wolkenkratzerliebhab; Sep 6, 2016 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 10:01 PM

I think you have the wrong thread, friend.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I think you have the wrong thread, friend.
I know, posting without me glasses makes me a silly boy indeed! I just redid the post in the proper section. Being old really sucks and being half-blind sucks even more!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 8:14 PM

Regarding I-395, the plan right now is just to extend it a few kilometres north to Highway 9 (the Airliner). It would be a roughly 8km extension - nothing crazy, but would fix the access issue of getting on I-95 when coming from Highway 9. Honestly it could be constructed as a Super Two - but the plan is for a full interstate. I believe Maine wants to get going on it in the next few years, I would expect construction to finish sometime in the mid 2020's.

Right now the problem is that there is no smooth way of getting from Highway 9 to I-95. You have to take a little local road with a 45mph speed limit - Highway 46. Its windy and there is a lot of truck traffic on it today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces