HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 7:59 PM

Wow.

This thread rn:

NOW BRING THEM TO NB ALREADY.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 1:33 PM

Well... uh... they're resurfacing a section of Route 1 on the west side of Saint John. So there's that.

Now if only they'd do Route 7; riding as a passenger yesterday and having the opportunity to really look at the road, it was amazing how much it reminded me of photos you see of roads in third-world countries.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 4:32 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Route 7's worst patches don't have anything on Route 2 near Memramcook or Route 16 to the Confederation Bridge...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:09 AM
ハルウララ

Highways across Canada have potholes and rough spots. In other news, the sky is blue and grass is green.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:49 AM

I order to fix the highways in New Brunswick is propose a 5-25 cents per kilometer toll on all twinned highways and that would all go into the maintenance pot. And it would create jobs too,

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I order to fix the highways in New Brunswick is propose a 5-25 cents per kilometer toll on all twinned highways and that would all go into the maintenance pot. And it would create jobs too,
So you think a cost of up to $125 to drive through the province is a reasonable toll?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:03 PM

On the way into town from Shediac to Moncton this AM I saw a few folks in safety gear out walking in the cleared areas of the planned Shediac exchange. Doesn't look completely dead...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
On the way into town from Shediac to Moncton this AM I saw a few folks in safety gear out walking in the cleared areas of the planned Shediac exchange. Doesn't look completely dead...
I'm not sure why somebody would think this is delayed? They just clear cut late last summer, and as stated above there is money in the budget for work this year. Perhaps just a late start?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I'm not sure why somebody would think this is delayed? They just clear cut late last summer, and as stated above there is money in the budget for work this year. Perhaps just a late start?
Someone had linked an article somewhere (above?) that it would be delayed until 2016. I think it'll go ahead this year, but it is just off to a slow start. You'd think they'd want to make the best of the warmer (ish?) season.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:45 AM

More traffic electronic variable message signs being installed in Halifax, bringing the total to at least 16 in Nova Scotia including the Cobequid pass.

Here is one of the current electronic variable message signs installed on Highway 111 and a map of the new signs being installed this week:

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Have not seen any work really start but have seen employees again this morning around the planned Shediac Exchange there where trucks on the shoulder on both sides as well... Seems the prep work might be starting. Also seen some workers on the Scoudouc exit ramps anyone hear anything about it?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Have not seen any work really start but have seen employees again this morning around the planned Shediac Exchange there where trucks on the shoulder on both sides as well... Seems the prep work might be starting. Also seen some workers on the Scoudouc exit ramps anyone hear anything about it?
I drove by last night and noticed some new stakes in the ground. I would assume they have to map it out prior to putting shovels in the ground. With that said I would expect to see equipment out there working very shortly.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
So you think a cost of up to $125 to drive through the province is a reasonable toll?

I would say a fair toll of 5 cents a KM would be more than enough to cover for road maintenance in the province. Example on the TCH from St-Jacques to the NS/NB border it is 519KM's the total cost would be 25.95 each way. I think this would be more than fair because now that fuel mileage has drastically improved in cars some of the people can avoid fueling in the province when they drive through.

Example
* Maine Turnpike the toll on the entire section one way is 7.00.
* Mass Turnpike the toll on the 135 mile portion is 7.10 eastbound and 10.60 westbound.
* Jersey Turnpike toll rate on the 117 mile journey is 13.85 one way.
* George Washington Bridge westbound it is 14.00 IF you pay cash.

So I think at 5 cents per KM twin highway toll would more than pay for the twinning of future projects like Route 11, and even finish the twinning between Fredericton and Saint John on Route 7.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 4:25 AM

Quote:
I would say a fair toll of 5 cents a KM would be more than enough to cover for road maintenance in the province. Example on the TCH from St-Jacques to the NS/NB border it is 519KM's the total cost would be 25.95 each way. I think this would be more than fair because now that fuel mileage has drastically improved in cars some of the people can avoid fueling in the province when they drive through.

Example
* Mass Turnpike the toll on the 135 mile portion is 7.10 eastbound and 10.60 westbound.

So I think at 5 cents per KM twin highway toll would more than pay for the twinning of future projects like Route 11, and even finish the twinning between Fredericton and Saint John on Route 7.
There is a problem in NB especially... If they put toll booths up on twined highways majority of people might just avoid them... If I'm going from Moncton to Shediac for example If I know 15 is going to be jammed up I'll take 134 turn off onto 133, and I'm in Shediac, and it probably took me less time...Also with Tolls there is the issue that most people don't carry cash anymore so they would have to have another system in place as well as cash be it interact or swipe pass...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:47 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

You'd need to set up a camera / transponder system like they have on the 407 in Toronto. Every ramp and access point has a camera that reads your license plate and tracks when you enter and exit the highway and you basically get sent a bill or have it charged to your account. Trouble here is the massive capital investment to build that many scanners and to offset the costs with the low traffic volumes we see.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
You'd need to set up a camera / transponder system like they have on the 407 in Toronto. Every ramp and access point has a camera that reads your license plate and tracks when you enter and exit the highway and you basically get sent a bill or have it charged to your account. Trouble here is the massive capital investment to build that many scanners and to offset the costs with the low traffic volumes we see.
It's less the taking off ramps before the toll, and getting back on, and taking an alternate route instead...Mind you if they do put up tolls they should have cops on the alternate routes cause people are going to be speeding down the 134 if there are tolls on Highway 15... They will want to save that 0.05$ per Km, and go 100-110 maybe even 120-130 if there car goes that fast down a road that is marked 70-80...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
There is a problem in NB especially... If they put toll booths up on twined highways majority of people might just avoid them... If I'm going from Moncton to Shediac for example If I know 15 is going to be jammed up I'll take 134 turn off onto 133, and I'm in Shediac, and it probably took me less time...Also with Tolls there is the issue that most people don't carry cash anymore so they would have to have another system in place as well as cash be it interact or swipe pass...
I disagree - most people won't avoid them. Unless you have lived in the area for a number of years most people don't know the back routes or they just couldn't be bothered - like myself. I'm happy to pay a toll to drive a 4 lane divided highway. At the Cobequid you either use an electronic pass (like myself) or you pay cash - this doesn't seem to be an issue. Considering how busy the 400 series highways are in Ontario - it makes sense to have cameras as it is quicker.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I disagree - most people won't avoid them. Unless you have lived in the area for a number of years most people don't know the back routes or they just couldn't be bothered - like myself. I'm happy to pay a toll to drive a 4 lane divided highway. At the Cobequid you either use an electronic pass (like myself) or you pay cash - this doesn't seem to be an issue. Considering how busy the 400 series highways are in Ontario - it makes sense to have cameras as it is quicker.
Not only is it quicker... An Officer was talking at the start of the week there was an accident on the 401, and people where using the emergency vehicle lane, and it is prohibited to do so. If the highways in Atlantic Canada where the same as the 400 Series in Ontario we would need cameras like they have... You also can't say it wasn't you because there cameras are set to catch the plate, and face of the driver... It would be a waste in NB, and I've driven in NS, and PEI as well it's the same there to... Not enough drivers on the highways to warrant spending that much money on cameras.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:26 PM

Quote:

Example

Keep in mind that those toll roads also provide frequent rest stops with fuel and restaurants so you would need to also add those amenities to justify that pricing.

I think having 2-3 toll booths that are a couple bucks each is fine.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:31 PM

I'd probably not worry about tolling in-province use. Put the tolls at the ends of the highway; at the outgoing NS, Quebec, Houlton and maybe the Calais borders (if/when that is 4-laned). PEI could get an exemption due to the bridge.

The trick at that point is to then figure out what the appropriate rates would be for travellers.

Without a doubt, the locals would know the ways to bypass the tollbooths trivially; but you don't want to be charging the locals often anyway. You want to be targeting the ones who are going through and are looking for the straight route.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces