HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:51 AM

effect of CVCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yes, I'm also liking the way they frame the Capitol and lead your eye to it. There are a lot of people on Facebook complaining about the views of the Capitol being somewhat blocked now, but the protected views are going to be so much more interesting now that they're being framed. And to me it's going to make the Capitol seem that much more important.
Part of me wants to simply wait and see how things turn out, but I'm curious. Are there any other capitals with similar view restrictions and significant skylines where we can see what the result could be?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:29 AM
Everywhere all at once

I really am hoping that the ECC site begets a taller tower. I'm normally not a crazy "TALLER TALLER" type, but I feel the west end of downtown is most at risk to totally become a plateau. We have the Austonian at center stage, and the Fairmont will soon be stage right. Seems to me like stage left is all that needs to be occupied to complete this production.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I really am hoping that the ECC site begets a taller tower. I'm normally not a crazy "TALLER TALLER" type, but I feel the west end of downtown is most at risk to totally become a plateau. We have the Austonian at center stage, and the Fairmont will soon be stage right. Seems to me like stage left is all that needs to be occupied to complete this production.
Yeah, having a "peak" in any high rise cluster is always more aesthetically appealing. But 360 will be somewhat of a peak at 567' at stage left.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I do agree, I am just not sure who would make it happen. Probably a condo as I don't think Austin is getting a 500+ ft office tower any time soon with what is in development. ECC and Post office are possibilities, Whole Foods block if it was redeveloped into two towers condo/office. Best spot aesthetically would be County courthouse block, but that isn't going to happen.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
But 360 will be somewhat of a peak at 567' at stage left.
581 feet according to the building elevations. And I totally agree. The west side of downtown needs a taller building. The courthouse block is the best site I think given it's central location. A 700 to 800 foot building would look amazing there. I did a mock model of a tower on the courthouse block once in my LEGO model, and it really looked good and helped to balance the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:35 PM

4/22

cranes by tie_gvy, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:16 PM

Downtown Time Lapse....Google maps has just released a new feature for it's street view app. Hear is a link that shows ATX from Lamar Bridge from 2007 thru 2013. Amazing transformation in a very short period of time.

Click on the clock/new in the upper right hand of the screen and see for yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2657...gQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:39 AM
Austinite

Sonesta Hotel

Here's the construction site for the 6-story Sonesta Hotel at the Hill Country Galleria in Bee Cave.

The finished product...

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...n-stage/nX6ZN/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 9:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hey has anyone heard or know something about a project called North Shore Lofts? I ran into something about it online. It looks to be a midrise tower possibly up to 16 floors? Planned for the Rainey Street District.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Hey has anyone heard or know something about a project called North Shore Lofts? I ran into something about it online. It looks to be a midrise tower possibly up to 16 floors? Planned for the Rainey Street District.
DAB/Austin Towers reported on that over a year ago, but there were no specifics about the building. The site is between the Holiday Inn and the lake.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 11:36 PM
Meh

Quote:
Gotta link? Any renderings? That would be the first we've seen of it and heard the height, but yeah, the DAB had an article on it about a year ago. The project is going through the permitting process. I can't remember what the address is, but it had an I-35 address. It's planned for the vacant lot south of the Holiday Inn hotels.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:57 AM

So the Gattis pizza property on w 6th is fenced off
Store is closed. Anyone know of anything planne here?!

Ps. Kev. Hill country is right - we did hear about this project a while ago and it's on Austin towers. No renders.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=194241

I found these floor plans that show the shape of North Shore Lofts. I want to see some elevations though.

11 units on typical floor with 144 units on all the stories I found. So 13 floors plus retail/lobby, and parking.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 5:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all

Quote:
Austin Icehouse Project One LLC leased a 6,200-square-foot building at 701 W. Sixth St. Frederick Higgins of REOC Austin represented the landlord, Bloomlate Investments LLC.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 5:28 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post

Ps. Kev. Hill country is right - we did hear about this project a while ago and it's on Austin towers. No renders.
I should have worded that better. I just meant that any renderings or mention of number of floors would be the first news of that type that we've seen for it. But yes, I do remember that article.

The address is 16 North IH-35. Here's the site plan page.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11093110

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
So glad to see that Gattis go away. I remember when it was built. There was so little going on in town ….. .and I remember being soooooo disapointed that it was a Gattis!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 10:37 PM
Love Austin

Live, from the center of the earth

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:26 AM
Love Austin

Good news from the folks at White Lodging: the JW is a few weeks ahead of schedule and they hope to open in Feb. An interesting logistical problem they are facing--how to coordinate 500+ semi trucks full of bedding and furniture.

The Italian themed restaurant

The American themed restaurant

The lobby is huge

This celebration was to be the topping out event, but it was cancelled due to one of our many ice/cold days. So we simply had a party/tour. Here, Mayor Leffingwell talks about the importance of the addition of this bldg to our current hotel supply. He has long been a champion of this project.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:44 PM

Eastside Village

Quote:
Eastside Village is an incredibly unique transit oriented mixed-use development. The project will include 7,500 square feet of retail space, 348 apartment units, and 94,500 square feet of modern Class A offi ce space. It is ideally located in the heart of East 6th Street, a thriving entertainment district on the edge of downtown across from Plaza Saltillo, a Capital MetroRail commuter rail station.
http://www.transwestern.net/Developm...e-Village.aspx

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 9:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Yes there is a rendering now. I found a link to something pretty interesting that I stumbled apon by accident. Its very recent as of April 18th and its not just about North Shore Lofts. It's about Downtown as a whole.

http://prezi.com/a8vp1v4ohxix/downto...ntation-41814/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin