HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Richard Lamparski, expert on "celebrities of yesteryear" and author of the "Whatever Became Of?" books (he now lives in Santa Barbara) wrote about a sad incident at the "Try Later" in his 1981 book "Lamparski's Hidden Hollywood."
"Dorothy Comingore gave a memorable performance as "Susan Alexander," the talentless singer in Orson Welles' CITIZEN KANE (1941). In the movie she ends up an alcoholic performing in a sleazy Atlantic City nightclub.
In March of 1953, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Vice Squad arrested Dorothy Comingore for prostitution after, they claimed, she had offered herself to them for "a lousy $10" in a bar at 8729 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood.
The actress vehemently denied the charge, which was later dismissed when she was committed to a clinic for treatment of alcoholism.
the bar was once called the Try Later and was owned by Frankie Darro, the star of B pictures. It is now the Raincheck.
It was one of Veronica Lake's favorite hangouts."
Richard Lamparski is one of the true Hollywood - Los Angeles treasures. His books are lots of fun. I've read many of them.

Last I heard he was living in Paris, France. If anyone knows more about him, please post. The link below is one of his many juicy interviews.

http://www.boyculture.com/boy_cultur...ors-books.html

Be advised that if Mr. Lamparski asks you for an interview, you know that your entertainment career is finished.

One of his many books. Most are still available on Amazon for pennies.

popscreen

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 17, 2016 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:34 PM

re: See-Are Kennels

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
I'm guessing it's a pun on Charlie Ruggles' initials, "C.R."
I believe you're correct JMR. That connection escaped me.
I was thinking more of "Sea Air" or "Sea Aire", partly because the graphic on the matchbook.
(actually the colors used / reminded me of sea shells) -and if you squint, the stylized dogs looked like sea-gulls. (at least in my mind )

I also found some additional information on Mr. Ruggles' Kennel.

July 1937(?0

found yesterday / unable to find the link again today

and this

http://www.jgdb.com/articl33.htm

"Judy Garland with 'Gypsy' and Max Weatherwax, dog trainer at Charles Ruggles Kennels."

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:41 PM

'mystery' location.

old file / eBay

note the old 'Hotel' blade sign. (there are actually two.....there's another above the Coca-Cola/Fried Chicken sign near the front of the trolley car)

detail

& there's a roof-top 'Market' sign down the street.

detail

I'm really hoping the building housing Fred's Loan Office & A & J Liquor (and the old hotel) is still standing. It's quite impressive.
_

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Or perhaps when they power-washed each floor, the water escaped through the Tiger head.

[you can file this under 'grasping for straws']
That is probably not too far off. After the advent of containerized freight, moved by truck instead of rail, Warehouse number 1 is used, in addition to a lot of filming, for the quarantine of large animals coming in from overseas, and storage of lots of large unusual items.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:

'mystery' location.

old file / eBay

note the old 'Hotel' blade sign. (there are actually two.....there's another above the Coca-Cola/Fried Chicken sign near the front of the trolley car) & there's a roof-top 'Market' sign down the street.
Going by the proximity of the A & J Liquor Store and Fred's Loan Office in the 1960 CD, I'd say were looking at the 3300 block of S San Pedro Street. The "Mar..." roof sign may have belonged to the Rancho Grande Market. I had to go back to the 1942 CD to find a hotel listed on that block - it was the South Park at 3317 S San Pedro Street. I haven't found any other photographs to back up my hypothesis, and the block was flattened sometime in the 1970s (sorry, e_r).

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:00 PM

What could be more noirish than to rent a room between the "Hotel"and "Liquor" signs, blinking on and off all night. And with a pawnshop next door, to boot!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:28 PM

I followed up with a look through the building records. The South Park Hotel was built in 1927, although I can't see a demo permit. Here's the 1952 record for the A & J Liquor Store sign. The shape of the tops of the first floor windows appears to match e_r's photo.

Online Building Records

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:59 PM

I finally found a photograph to back up my theory. Here's a image from a set showing a fire truck collision at Jefferson and San Pedro in 1958. The fried chicken cafe was Skippy's Quickspot. This was obviously before Fred's Loan Office covered the corner building with signs. The permit for the hotel mentions a bank among the building's proposed uses. The 1929 CD lists a branch of the Merchant's National Trust and Savings Bank of Los Angeles at 3331 S San Pedro, which would put it in that corner building.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:04 PM

Wow, excellent sleuthing Hoss! You found all this information while I took an afternoon nap.

I feel L A Z Y.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
That is probably not too far off. After the advent of containerized freight, moved by truck instead of rail, Warehouse number 1 is used, in addition to a lot of filming, for the quarantine of large animals coming in from overseas, and storage of lots of large unusual items.

When I first starting talking about the Tiger Heads I didn't realize there were so many of them.

I count 80 Tiger Heads!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24552021

8 vertical lines of 5 on each side.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I did not know that the Tam O'Shanter was called the Great Scot from 1968 (after an extensive remodel/rebuilding) until 1982 when the original name was restored.
Here it is as the Great Scot. This Julius Shulman photo was taken just a year before it reverted back to the original name. This is "Job 5930: Great Scot Restaurant, 1981".

Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Teenagers in downtown Los Angeles, 1946.
Girls talking about boys. Man at the right is asking Jr. to stop by in the afternoon
to help with some chores?

pinit

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:25 PM

They're on the corner of 7th & Broadway.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/22320/rec/14

That truck driver is stealing a giant L.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:42 PM

This tourist must have been thrilled when he realized who was getting out of the cars.

http://godhowihatedthe70s.blogspot.com/

The cast of "All In The Family" arriving for work at CBS Television City on Fairfax.

Well now we know they didn't car pool.

Excellent post on Irv's Hamburgers and the "Try Later" Martin Pal. I searched high and low for a photograph of the "Try Later"
but came up empty.

& you mentioned "Wild Boys of the Road"

There's a fairly new biography on William Wellman, called "Wild Bill Wellman, Hollywood Rebel". I read it a few months ago and it was excellent.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...d-bill-wellman

I was so invested in the book that I actually cried at the end (when he passes away)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Hey ER....that was great detective work.!!! Very impressive.!!!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 11:47 PM

Noirish matchbook from the 1940s (1950s?)

"The New Yorker Cafe & Cocktail Lounge, 527 S. Beacon St. San Pedro Calif."

Prescription Cocktails!?!?........................................................................................

What the heck does that mean.....is it old slang for 'mixed drink'?

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Noirish matchbook from the 1940s (1950s?)

"The New Yorker Cafe & Cocktail Lounge, 527 S. Beacon St. San Pedro Calif."

Prescription Cocktails!?!?........................................................................................

What the heck does that mean.....is it old slang for 'mixed drink'?

_
Prescription cocktails are often very unusual. You could order a Margarita made with hot peppers, for example. They are made with strange combination of ingredients.....and are muy expensive.
In Europe a ''prescription'' cocktail could be $15 a pop or more.

A fancy cocktail could also be made for your illness...such as a headache or pain. How about this...a cocktail called ''Find Me New Lover."...or:

Island of Love

4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1.5 oz. Rum
1 oz. Cranberry Juice
2 Dashes Angostura Bitters

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 18, 2016 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 3:40 PM

Thanks CBD.

So they're not dropping prescription pills into the drinks?
____

We've seen a lot of litter in vintage photographs posted on NLA.

Here's another....

"St. Scene in Los Angeles Calif." [Sept. 1, 1933] 3rd year of the Great Depression.

eBay

So what do you think the guy is selling out of his wicker basket? I believe the sign says 10 cents.

It looks leafy. (if he's selling Kale, he's 8 centuries before his time!)

I just noticed what looks like two lampshades on the ground by his feet.

reverse info.

...as a reminder

"Roosevelt inaugurated; begins 'First 100 Days'; of intensive legislative activity.

A third banking panic occurs in March. Roosevelt declares a Bank Holiday; closes financial institutions to stop a run on banks.

Alarmed by Roosevelt's plan to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, a group of millionaire businessmen, led by the Du Pont and J.P. Morgan empires, plans to overthrow Roosevelt with a military coup and install a fascist government modelled after Mussolini's regime in Italy. The businessmen try to recruit General Smedley Butler, promising him an army of 500,000, unlimited financial backing and generous media spin control. The plot is foiled when Butler reports it to Congress.

Congress authorizes creation of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Farm Credit Administration, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the National Recovery Administration, the Public Works Administration and the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Congress passes the Emergency Banking Bill, the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, the Farm Credit Act, the National Industrial Recovery Act and the Truth-in-Securities Act.

Roosevelt does much to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor, but is concerned with a balanced budget. He later rejects Keynes' advice to begin heavy deficit spending.

The free fall of the GNP is significantly slowed; it dips only 2.1 percent this year. Unemployment rises slightly, to 24.9 percent."

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n...epression.html

__

Is that true about the military coup? I've never heard that one before.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 6:16 PM

A bunch of "odds & ends" responses

I don't recall hearing anything about that, E_R, either, but it wouldn't surprise me. I was watching a forties film last week and a guy relates some things to another about his family tree and incidents that happened in the 1840's. He says, "You don't read about it in the history books, but it happened and it's American history all the same."

I've also never heard about Prescription Cocktails.

Excellent find with the Great Scot photo HossC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Teenagers in downtown Los Angeles, 1946.
Girls talking about boys. Man at the right is asking Jr. to stop by in the afternoon
to help with some chores?

pinit
--I thought they were lining up for Broadway tickets.

--Does that man on the right have three hands?
One of those hands looks like it's trying to pickpocket the young lad.

Quote:

LOL!
I think he's stealing a "7" myself!

A bit of a strange double bill. The Man I Married and Sailor's Lady were both released in 1940. The Imdb plotline for Sailor's Lady sounds sad and then comedic in the same sentence. The Man I Married plotline is also odd in that it's written poorly: "Anti-Nazi tract laced with 1938 newsreel footage finds American girl (Bennett) married to a German (Lederer) gradually learning he is a Nazi, trying to get their son to America." When I first read that I was thinking "how could Lederer gradually learn he is a Nazi?

Quote:
This tourist must have been thrilled when he realized who was getting out of the cars.

http://godhowihatedthe70s.blogspot.com/

The cast of "All In The Family" arriving for work at CBS Television City on Fairfax.

Well now we know they didn't car pool.
What a fantastic, in the "different" category, set of snapshots! The photographer liked showing off what looks to be a very hot and smoggy skyline! Heh! (Also featured in the new film "The Nice Guys" which recreates 1977 Los Angeles.) I saw a taping of an episode of "All in the Family" (Episode #181). It probably never occurs to most people watching a show, it didn't to me, but sometimes shows don't always tape in the same location. I know that All in the Family started out taping at Television City and moved to Metromedia later on. I know that Three's Company started out at Television City, too (it wasn't even broadcast on CBS), and also taped at ABC Studio Center as well as Metromedia, for example. Examples of two filmed series that changed locations: When Get Smart moved to CBS in it's last season it also moved to CBS Studio Center in the valley, whereas it's previous seasons were filmed at Paramount. Combat! had filmed at MGM Studios for five years and, in it's last year, which was filmed in color, it moved over to the same CBS Studio Center.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 6:20 PM

Thanks for the input Martin Pal.

Here's another noirish matchbook from San Pedro.

eBay

inside the cover / sailor humor

The Honkey Tonk Cafe was located across from the old Hotel Cabrillo.

gsv

for search purposes.
Honkey Tonk Cafe, John Pardi, Prop., 305 W. 7th St. San Pedro, Calif.

Here's a view from the recently discussed Gaffey Street overlook. (date unknown)

Ebay

As I'm wont to do....here it is LARGER.

See anything interesting?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos