HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:45 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6497561] What elevator is that Blaster? I lived near there and don't recall it.
__

Th building was just west of the old Tower Records on the north side of Sunset. It might even have been right next door. The design was modern. I imagine it was built in the 60's. I don't know if it was an office building or an apartment building but it had a glassed-in elevator in front that was exposed from the street. In the trailer for THE OUTSIDE MAN, I don't believe you see the actual elevator but they show a POV shot from it, rising over the Strip. I know the building is shown in the body of the actual film.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:56 PM

--very interesting. I'll try and find a copy of The Outside Man. Thanks for the information.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
--very interesting. I'll try and find a copy of The Outside Man. Thanks for the information.
I think the actual building may still be there but they may have enclosed, removed or obscured that elevator. Pretty sure it was right next door to Tower Records.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I think the actual building may still be there but they may have enclosed, removed or obscured that elevator. Pretty sure it was right next door to Tower Records.
A little checking tells me the location was the Medallion Apartments, 8833 W. Sunset. It has since been torn down and the IAC building stands in its place.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:30 PM
BANNED

The mystery continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I would certainly hope that J.R. has PB&J sandwich.....they have to have it....their specialty is retro food.

I'm not sure but does McDonald's and Jack in the Box have PB&J? I don't recall but I'm thinkin' they do have it.

There are 50 Roy Rogers restaurants....maybe they have the PB. A PB sure sounds like a RR type of food. Kids like RR and I'm sure he would want to cater to kids tastes. If they don't have a PB sandwich they're makin' a big old Texas size mistake..
Hey Martin and friends, have you been able to get to the bottom of the PB&J mystery? We all should be searching out just who serves up PB&J and who does not. Do they offer it at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel coffee shop?

The Brown Derby used to offer it as a choice in the 1940s but I'm not sure if they offer it now at their Disneyland locations.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:34 PM

Happy St. Patrick's Quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
It also made a list of earthquake-vulnerable buildings in 1979... I guess it was retrofitted, and I'm glad it--and you--survived, ER.
I worked on the second floor of a two-story building similar to this one that underwent retrofitting, right before the big quake of 1994. (And it's my opinion if our building had not been retrofitted, at least some parts of the outside walls would have collapsed.) If your business is tryng to stay open during the process it is not particularly enjoyable. It's akin to putting toothpicks in large sandwiches so they don't fall apart.

If you look at the photo below, on the left, notice the area in between the first and second floors. You see what look to be small squares, which are metal plates, and what looks in the photo like a small dot is the bolt end of a long metal rod that's been inserted between the floors. It entails the ripping up inside of several feet from the wall end of the second floor, or first floor ceiling, depending on how the owner(s) want it done. This job looks to be quite well-done and uniform. Often they are not. I've seen the rows of metal plates and/or bolts on many buildings to be haphazard and not uniform at all, including the plates which could appear square or diamond shape or any which way along the row, especially if they are on the brick wall sides facing alleys. And this building is one of very few I've seen with these painted over.

Also, I am not sure at all if other cities in the U.S. do earthquake retrofitting like this, but I have seen movies shot in locations where it is supposed to be New York, say, and I'll see scenes in alleys where you see these retrofitted bolts and I have to believe they were shot in Los Angeles. (Like Spiderman, for one.)

Quote:
The back of the building is exposed brick.

GSV
__
Quote:
I heard there was a smallish earthquake in Los Angeles this morning.
And, yes, E_R, there was a 4.4 jolt this morning about 6:25 a.m. Normally, 5.0 is where you'll definitely notice one no matter what time of day. Anything less than that and you may or may not depending where you are, but this one this morning woke me up and reminded me of the 1994 one in the way it was shaking. (It was more like an up & down jolt. Often times the quake is a "rolling" quake which feels more like a swing--the ground rolls back and forth.) Coupled with the fact it was a shallow quake and not deep underground and that it was centered in the Westwood area which is rather close, all those factors produced a very noticeable jolt. (And it lasted only about 10 seconds, unlike '94 which I believe was like 20-30 seconds.)

(I must reference that even though it was centered about 5 miles below the surface, geologists consider that a "shallow" quake and refer to it as "near the surface.")

By the way, some friends/relatives who have never experienced an earthquake seem to think that 10-20 seconds isn't that big a deal when talking about earthquakes. I always take their hand and then shake it wildly and count -- one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three...etc. Then they usually say, "I get it!"

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
This is what the downtown skyline looked when I lived in L.A.

old file of mine

I didn't realize there was a skybridge/walkway connected to city hall. Is it still there?
Yes, it's still there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Yeah, THE OUTSIDE MAN really got around LA, using a lot of early 70's locations. I particularly recall that glass elevator on the outside of the building just west of Tower Records on the Sunset Strip.
Yes, Georgia Engel rides in it! After we saw the film (three of us) we drove around a bit looking for some of the filming locations, including a bar on Sunset, the Beverly Hills mansion predominantly used, recognizable because of the gate, and we definitely wanted to drive by this building on Sunset, because we knew of it. We were, however, sad to discover that wonderful elevator was gone. And you're correct, it was next to Tower records to the west. We didn't think the building had been torn down, though, as much as just heavily remodeled. Very sad to see that iconic elevator on Sunset gone, though. If one ever saw it, you wouldn't forget it there!

One thing about going to movies, especially classic ones, in L.A., is that you can have a subsidiary good time by visiting a filming location or two, either before or afterwards! I remember going to Bugsy Siegel's house after we saw a screening of Bugsy a few years ago. Around the same time before we went to see Aviator we toured the route where Howard Hughes crash landed his plane in Beverly Hills, which made watching the scene even more exciting. And if one sees Double Indemnity it's always a hoot to visit that house in the Hills above Hollywood or the Alto Nido apartments when viewing Sunset Blvd., why not if you can! L.A. Confidential can require an entire day! Heh!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:53 PM

You have to see this clip of the KTLA news anchors diving under their desk during this morning's earthquake.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/new...rthquake-WATCH

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
USCDL

My labels on an aerial that must date from between 1916, when the Marlborough School moved to 3rd Street from 23rd, near St. James Park, and 1920, when the third part of Windsor Square opened (above 3rd St and between Larchmont and Irving, north, more or less, to Beverly Blvd. (Btw, at this point Beverly was still called Temple on insurance maps.)

The north-south line of trees between Plymouth and Lucerne marks the boundary of the first two sections of Windsor Square... somewhere in the noirish past I posted some pics showing how the surfaces of some east-west streets change abruptly at that boundary--concrete in Windsor Square, asphalt in the Windsor Hills addition....

Since I went a little overboard with the labels, here's the original shot...

USCDL
(USC has identified this shot as including a view of West Adams. It doesn't.)
Thank you!!!! I know this was posted a while ago, but I was able to locate a house that I recently worked on on Lorraine. Weird to see the area with NO trees!!!!

www.tvme.info

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:

ebay

Does anyone know where this was located?
Could it be Chaffey High School in Ontario, CA? I found a set of photos of their 1952 Aquacade in the USC Digital Library. The description mentions "the school's plunge". The picture below shows their pool - it's certainly similar to the one above. There's also a reference from the Chaffey High School "Class of 1930" on e-yearbook.com that says "This year marked an improvement in the Chaffey plunge. Clorinators and much new equipment was put in."

Google Maps

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:25 PM

Here's a link to a blogpost about The Outside Man, done within the last year, showing photos of around twenty-five Los Angeles locations used in the film. (Some of the photos are missing.) The poster says the Medallion apartments were torn down and replaced by the IAC building, but looking at photos of the IAC building it looks to me as though it was just remodeled.

The poster also says that the French version of this film is slightly longer and includes an additional sequence filmed on Ventura Boulevard.

http://movie-tourist.blogspot.com/20...-man-1972.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:36 PM

I think you're probably correct about the Chaffey Plunge HossC, though I've never heard a school call their swimming pool a plunge.
The people (students?) in the vintage photograph seem to be lounging around, as opposed to a structured swimming class.
Maybe the pool was open during summer vacation which would account for the lax attitude.

where's the beef?
ebay
just ask alice.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:47 PM

The Wright & Callender Building.

ebay

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:59 PM

California Federal in 1967
ebay

today

GSV

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:

ebay

I heard there was a 4.7 earthquake in Los Angeles this morning.

A little rest-home noir...

LAT May 3, 1941/March 2, 1943

Shocking, all this happening hard by Berkeley Square, still hanging on to its gentility.... Just behind the trees to the right in your shot, ER, is the big house of attorney Lee Allen Phillips (he was also the original builder of Pickfair)--4 Berkeley Square was just changing hands for the first time since 1913. Later, Big Daddy Grace and his five-inch fingernails would round out the list of illustrious personages to live at #4.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 8:53 PM

Found some information on the Card Houses in Sugar Hill. Guess it was named this area in the 1950's, before that is was known as West Adam Heights.
I am interested on Oxford street as I have a friend that lives there, now I am looking for Vintage photos of the area/place.

But did stumble upon this flikr site that I found a lot of the info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...n/photostream/

"12 – Patrick Fitzwilliam. 2057 S Oxford Ave. 1903. (Note: This is first of three houses owned by C I D Moore in West Adams Heights – 1903 to 1906, 2057 S Oxford Ave; 1906 to 1908; 2071 S Hobart Blvd; 1908 - 1937, 2242 S Hobart Blvd.)

This handsome house was originally built for Charles Moore, an executive of Consolidated Life (Pacific Mutual). Most likely he built this house to help spur interest in the burgeoning neighborhood, the neighborhood and association having been created by his employer Frederick Rindge, on Harvard Blvd. In 1906 C I D Moore sold the house to Patrick Fitzwilliam to build another house at 2071 S Hobart Blvd. According to the 1909 City Directory Patrick Fitzwilliam was a clerk at the Pacific Crockery and Tinnery. It seems like a rather expensive purchase for a clerk, however, his wife, Mrs. Ann Rose Fitzwilliam, came from Austin and was the sister of Governor Ross of Texas. She died 11/26/1892, apparently leaving her estate to her husband. The 1910 Census shows him living here with his two daughters Katy and Ammie Lourie, and a son Robert Lee. The house’s roof line looks as if it’s missing a gable or two. Although there’s no direct proof, it appears the house may have had an attic fire at some point."

Flickr Kansas Sebastian

www.tvme.info

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 9:58 PM

That's some really good research jballou. -quite interesting.

I've often wondered about that dome atop the old Trinity Auditorium building.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/8822/rec/2

Brigham Yen has posted several photographs on his blog DTLA RISING.
http://brighamyen.com/2014/03/12/bre...m-downtown-la/

rooftop with the future swimming pool (for the Empire Hotel)

interior of the dome

Mr. Yen thinks the rotunda space will likely become a bar restaurant/lounge.

the dome's beautiful skylights

__

..and downstairs.

Mr. Yen also posted this photograph of the exquisite auditorium ceiling.

the auditorium

...more photographs are here. (you really should see them)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 10:50 PM

LAT March 26, 1923/LA Sentinel Sept 17, 1964/LA Herald Feb 1, 1906 (before the address changes in the neighborhood we've discussed here before (#19400).

jballou... I'm still not sure what you're referring to by "card houses"--presumably that there were here and there on Sugar Hill gambling houses such as might have been Allen and Sara Durette's interesting operation in the old William Gustavus Hunt house at 3 Berkeley Square

"Sugar Hill' came into use in the early '40s as prosperous African-Americans began to move into the neighborhood, often in violation of deed restrictions. As I understand it, some wanted to call it "Blueberry Hill" rather than "Sugar" to distinguish it from the fancy precinct in Harlem, but "Sugar" won out probably because it did suggest the original (and maybe since "sugar" is what we all really want, good as blueberries can be). As the '40s evolved and brave pioneers such as Hattie McDaniel, Louise Beavers, and prominent neighborhood professionals such as Dr. William Clyde Allen of Berkeley Square fought for and succeeded in winning the abolition of the covenants by the US Supreme Court in 1948, the name became even more significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballou View Post
Found some information on the Card Houses in Sugar Hill. Guess it was named this area in the 1950's, before that is was known as West Adam Heights.
I am interested on Oxford street as I have a friend that lives there, now I am looking for Vintage photos of the area/place.

But did stumble upon this flikr site that I found a lot of the info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...n/photostream/

"12 – Patrick Fitzwilliam. 2057 S Oxford Ave. 1903. (Note: This is first of three houses owned by C I D Moore in West Adams Heights – 1903 to 1906, 2057 S Oxford Ave; 1906 to 1908; 2071 S Hobart Blvd; 1908 - 1937, 2242 S Hobart Blvd.)

This handsome house was originally built for Charles Moore, an executive of Consolidated Life (Pacific Mutual). Most likely he built this house to help spur interest in the burgeoning neighborhood, the neighborhood and association having been created by his employer Frederick Rindge, on Harvard Blvd. In 1906 C I D Moore sold the house to Patrick Fitzwilliam to build another house at 2071 S Hobart Blvd. According to the 1909 City Directory Patrick Fitzwilliam was a clerk at the Pacific Crockery and Tinnery. It seems like a rather expensive purchase for a clerk, however, his wife, Mrs. Ann Rose Fitzwilliam, came from Austin and was the sister of Governor Ross of Texas. She died 11/26/1892, apparently leaving her estate to her husband. The 1910 Census shows him living here with his two daughters Katy and Ammie Lourie, and a son Robert Lee. The house’s roof line looks as if it’s missing a gable or two. Although there’s no direct proof, it appears the house may have had an attic fire at some point."

Flickr Kansas Sebastian

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 17, 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:13 PM

woman pumping gas/Gilmore Field is visible in the background.

old file of mine

Gilmore Field. pan right--->
ebay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos