HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 9:29 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 11:22 PM

Thanks a lot Hunser,and amazing pictures QUEENSNYMAN.

hawkstersf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkste...n/photostream/

New York City magic

eaglexl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4261214...n/photostream/

noamgalai

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noamg/8463694060/

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Feb 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:36 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

2nd and 3rd pic NYD are quite impressive

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:42 AM
Come As You Are

I can distinctly make out the spire in each of the pics from the distance. It will not look 'invisible' but I think it will have some cool effects with the sun shining through it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
The color of the spire is pretty dull. How will it be illuminated? Are there going to be lights shining up on it from the roof?
It'll look like the antenna on 4 Times Square I believe. Alternating colors at night and specific colors for special occasions.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 4:32 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Yes.

iainh124a

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
The color of the spire is pretty dull. How will it be illuminated? Are there going to be lights shining up on it from the roof?
Not from the roof itself. There are a good number of fixtures to be mounted to a catwalk surrounding the base of the mast. Those, along with additional fixtures mounted on the bottom and top communication rings will uplight the mast all the way up to Section 8 (where the guy-wires attach). The rest of the mast will be uplit by fixtures encircling the mast on each of the platforms at 40' increments, ending with the platform at the bottom of section 16.

My understanding is that it will be lit in white in normal usage, and the color LEDs won't be used except for special occasions/holidays. I don't anticipate a lot of continual color-shifting on ordinary days like you'd see at 4 Times Square (Conde Nast bldg), because this is a special and more meaningful piece of historic architecture, and I think there is a sense that sometimes less is more, and this is a building that won't need all of that color-changing to stand out in the Manhattan skyline. It will do that on it's own. Also, with the horizontal beacon at the top rotating and shooting out in all directions, I think having a continual color-shift going on at the same time will be overkill.
That's just my impression from what I've been hearing regarding the limited use of the color.

Having said all that, at the end of the day this is a Durst property and they seem to have a love-affair with color-changing light shows on their other antennae in NYC, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Childs seems pretty impressed with the color LEDs as well....see article from 2011 http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1f0qZFxmo

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I can distinctly make out the spire in each of the pics from the distance. It will not look 'invisible'

It won't be invisible. And that is part of the problem with the design. All you need to know is that what we are seeing was supposed to be hidden. That sums it up nicely.

Bryan Kremkau | SkaPunkPhotos.com

Roblawol

basair

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 9:19 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^Excellent compilation of the spires of NY at night.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 9:34 PM

Interesting...

rjsnyc2

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^Excellent compilation of the spires of NY at night.
the New York Times Tower's spire needs to join the group, plus there's the tower next to grand central which will likely have a spire to look forward to.
Midtown can have a bunch, but in downtown 1 WTC should be unique.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
Interesting...

rjsnyc2
There is no way that picture is real

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 11:39 PM

Found by OnePointWest on SSC

morning after nemo (NYC) by Jason Pierce Photography, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCam View Post
There is no way that picture is real
No, you can see where the real water begins and ends... but does it really matter? It's a beautiful shot.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
No, you can see where the real water begins and ends... but does it really matter? It's a beautiful shot.
Yeah now i see but the picture is amazing... i wonder if thats a panorama or if thats 1 wide angle lens

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:25 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

So the rest of the spire will be assembled above that platform, on temp stairs? Thats like 40 stories of temp stairs,, I don't think I'd like that job. Off topic why when you go to the opening of ssp, when you click on highest bldgs of 2013, 2WTC is gone, and 3 WTC, is there saying U/C. I thought they were both capped at 7 stories or so and stuck until tenants committ, I would hope 2 WTC would be built before 3,, I would think 2WTC would be NY'ers more of a demand or priority, because it's the taller, more radical, and the nicest of the 5 bldgs,, but that's (and I heard a lot of other's agree) my opinion. People already voiced their wanting new twin towers, (Years ago, But as everybody knows that's not possible anymore), but if they built WTC2 first,, I think a LOT more people would be satisfied. And if they had to scrap one, I think more ppl would rather see 3 put on hold, and have 2 be the one they start next. At Least I think 2 is the coolest of them all.

Last edited by bigreach; Feb 12, 2013 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
So the rest of the spire will be assembled above that platform, on temp stairs? Thats like 40 stories of temp stairs,, I don't think I'd like that job. Off topic why when you go to the opening of ssp, when you click on highest bldgs of 2013, 2WTC is gone, and 3 WTC, is there saying U/C. I thought they were both capped at 7 stories or so and stuck until tenants committ, I would hope 2 WTC would be built before 3,, I would think 2WTC would be NY'ers more of a demand or priority, because it's the taller, more radical, and the nicest of the 5 bldgs,, but that's (and I heard a lot of other's agree) my opinion. People already voiced their wanting new twin towers, (Years ago, But as everybody knows that's not possible anymore), but if they built WTC2 first,, I think a LOT more people would be satisfied. And if they had to scrap one, I think more ppl would rather see 3 put on hold, and have 2 be the one they start next. At Least I think 2 is the coolest of them all.
yes now that the Tower is 95% done I cant wait to see the
final 5%......

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 2:04 PM
New Yorker for life

In4ocus

High-on-Life

http://beehivehairdresser.com/2013/0...freedom-tower/

What Happens To Snow On Top Of The Freedom Tower?

February 12th, 2013

Quote:
We’ve witnessed several pieces of the Freedom Tower be either hoisted up or slowly dropped down below to the ground again, but it is still thrilling to watch. It is a wonder
to see the skill with which the crane operator pulls heavy objects through the tight and windy sky without breaking windows. Anyway, we watched a big dumpster being pulled
up to the top of the Trade Center. The big kind of dumpster that scares drivers on the highway to the point where nobody with half a brain will follow close behind.

Just look at that reflection in the Freedom Tower…

We wondered what the dumpster was being brought up on a Sunday for. Then we looked below and saw what the crews were doing with the dumpsters at street level.

The construction crews needed to put all of the snow that stuck to the roof of the Freedom Tower into something in order to safely remove it so that they could get back
to actually building the building. It’s not like they could simply shovel it over the side of the building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:29 PM

WTF happened to the Earthcam skyline cam?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive