HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:41 PM
Mr. Technology

No one complains about the antenna atop the Empire State Building, yet we read moans and groans about the antenna spire atop of One World Trade Center.

Who in this forum has lost sleep over the thin spire atop the NY Times Tower?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
No one complains about the antenna atop the Empire State Building, yet we read moans and groans about the antenna spire atop One World Trade Center.

As I said, I don't care, I just don't like the current system of ranking heights of towers as it is illogical.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I agree they should not have removed the radome, but this antenna is still going to be wider and thicker than the old North Tower's was. This one has sort of an industrial look to it. And yes the communications ring will also help show off the antenna more.
No. Ironically, the original WTC antenna was thicker than this. It was the diameter of the base of this new antenna all the way through.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 AM
BANNED

I love forum's because the provide a outlet for ideas and thinkers, but I have honestly never seen so much hen cackling over something no one here has any control over.

The Spire is what it is. It's not changing, it's not being modified, nothing said here will make Durst or anyone else change their mind, so let's all lay off it for a while and see what comes. A building is a sum of it's parts, this is only one part.

Scott

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:00 AM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:20 AM

Like many on here, I'm not overjoyed we're not getting the original spire we were supposed to. To keep convincing myself everything's going to be alright, I don't call the redone version a spire nor an antenna. I call it a "spantenna"!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
No. Ironically, the original WTC antenna was thicker than this. It was the diameter of the base of this new antenna all the way through.
The old antenna had a cover that was over the mast part. Under that cover was a mast that looked like the mast they are installing now but it was an equal diameter up to the 300' level.With the cover it started off as the same diameter as this one and got smaller as the mast went from grey to white then much smaller the last 75' It looks like they will need to increase the height of the white crane to complete the mast

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:20 AM

(posted by OnePointWest on SSC)

Gordon Lew

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittywhompus View Post
Like many on here, I'm not overjoyed we're not getting the original spire we were supposed to. To keep convincing myself everything's going to be alright, I don't call the redone version a spire nor an antenna. I call it a "spantenna"!
Some time ago I called it the "spiretenna"

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:44 AM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:00 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
No one complains about the antenna atop the Empire State Building, yet we read moans and groans about the antenna spire atop of One World Trade Center.

Nobody ever complains about the top of ESB, (other than the colors of the the antennae) (to me ESB has paid it's dues and should be a Wonder of the World, because back in the 30's, Humans didn't have the technology to share the progress (like we do with 1WTC), with others around the World,, Here we have a forum where At least a Billion ppl could acess if they had the technology, while most of us here in the states do have the technology,,Back in the 30's nobody (or maybe some ppl opposed to tall bldgs, didn't want to see ESB built)), cared back then because, it was state of the art back then, and probably only 0.5% or less of the World's population had ever seen it, or even knew it existed,, but in the World of Twitter, Flicker, SSP, SSC, High digital cameras, and the biggest thing, the Internet and so on, this building (1WTC) is getting criticized thousand's of times more than the ESB. Plus after all this time, (more than any of us have been alive or 99% of us)over the years the ESB is still 1 of the best skyscrapers in the World,, and it took most, if not all other countries even the U.S. 4 decades to even challenge,(outside NYC) the magnificent, supertall, that was built way before they had even the advanced tools,, and highly trained Ironworkers,, but with the technology we have today,, so when I look at ESB I'm an awe on how good it looks and for the Era it was built, it's still a magnificent bldg and Im in awe everytime I see this bldg, You could say the same, but on a slighly lesser scale, with the Chrylser bld,, I just can't believe how these structures were built so high, so beautiful, and damn near perfect,, In that day and age. That's why the only thing that 1 can bitch about today with ESB or Chrysler, may be their Gaudy (color changing) spires, or antennaes, that were added decades after the bldgs were actually built. We should all be happy with how 1WTC turns out, yes I'd rather see the radome, but that's highly doubtly now, and it's a shame because they have the means to do it, and are cheating this beauty, by putting just a regular antennae on it that could have only been an option 50 years ago. So In my opinion they didn't make this top notch, like they did ESB or Chrysler, and I hope they regret their decision the rest of their live's,, mainly Durst.

Last edited by bigreach; Feb 14, 2013 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:51 AM

the antenna is just as ugly as it is in the renderings. bravo!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It is simply inadequate from a distance and appears as a mere afterthought.
The design we're looking at really wasn't meant to be seen at all, unfortunately.

Quote:
Surely you jest...

mik_leach

drken10003

0sbörn4this

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:28 PM
Mr. Technology

Now I clearly see how the construction workers are attaching the sections of the spire together.

Each section has a surrounding platform with a ladder in the center.
Once fully assembled, those surrounding platforms are then removed from the center, where the ladder inside is.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:

A lot of people complain about the mess on top of the ESB and are concerned The WTC1 mast will wind up just as cluttered and ugly.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Now I clearly see how the construction workers are attaching the sections of the spire together.

Each section has a surrounding platform with a ladder in the center.
Once fully assembled, those surrounding platforms are then removed from the center, where the ladder inside is.
That's the way the Japanese did the Tokyo Sky Tree. The time spent disassembling those platforms when your done is insignificant compared to the time spent on rigging station keeping and fall protection without the platforms as well as being a much more efficient way for the crew to work and having a place to put the gear they need.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:20 PM

Does anyone know if the rest of the mast is going to be installed before or after they install the lighting fixtures to the platforms above section 8? Those aren't supposed to arrive for a few weeks, so if they keep attaching sections to this mast, the fixtures will have to be installed in the air vs. on the ground. Seems like it would've been a lot easier to do on the ground....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:46 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCap'n View Post
Does anyone know if the rest of the mast is going to be installed before or after they install the lighting fixtures to the platforms above section 8? Those aren't supposed to arrive for a few weeks, so if they keep attaching sections to this mast, the fixtures will have to be installed in the air vs. on the ground. Seems like it would've been a lot easier to do on the ground....
section 10 has already been installed,and section 11 is being installed as we speak.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:02 PM

I don't know how to post a screenshot, but you can see the new pieces of the spire in place on the Tower 1 Zoom Cam.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive