HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Looks like they've taken down all the construction fencing at the former Osborne Village Motor Inn. Seems like that project is pretty much completely dead now.
might as well re-open it and carry on as before. this is embarrassing for not only the village but the city as a whole.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
might as well re-open it and carry on as before. this is embarrassing for not only the village but the city as a whole.
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Agreed.
Not sure if it's an option. They spent quite a bit of time doing demolition inside, so I think it's in a half-demoed state.

This is like the worst-case development situation: Come in, ensure the building is ripped apart until it's beyond use, then realize the project won't work, and leave the half-torn-apart shell to stagnate.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Time to go back to the drawing board and something spectacular needs to replace the blemish. The project would be acceptable if it were on Regent Ave, but this is the Village for f*ck's sake. How sad this is. For the Village to still be recognizable after decades is embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:03 AM

tear down the building and put up a parking lot

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:06 AM
BANNED

Ain't nobody got time fo paradise.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:52 PM

Plans for 180 Roslyn were approved at City Centre Committee on March 7, along with the parking management plan. These are from the approved plans.

Edit - for a good time, read the submission made in opposition to this. It's about a 100 page PDF submitted by one person! Probably took them weeks to compile. Link is under City Centre March 7 minutes at http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:10 PM

Admittedly I thought this Holiday Inn was getting built long ago. Is this the one that people were outraged as it didn't fit the neighbourhood? Meanwhile the tallest residential towers in the City are spitting distance away.

Kidding aside, nice project. I much prefer these types of builds as opposed to 4 storey stick frame slanty roof builds.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Edit - for a good time, read the submission made in opposition to this. It's about a 100 page PDF submitted by one person! Probably took them weeks to compile.
Do you think she rented the Uhaul and placed it there to make the 'blind' bend in Roslyn actually look blind?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:29 PM

I noticed that U-Haul right away too. You can't park on that side of the street, so that is generally a non-issue.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
I noticed that U-Haul right away too. You can't park on that side of the street, so that is generally a non-issue.
And all that talk about the health effects of no sunlight. Clearly not approving the development on the grounds of negative mental health effects on the residents of 6 Roslyn would be akin to closing the barn door after the horses have all run away.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:31 PM

Wow. Very thorough that lady was!!! The uhaul van looks like somebody is moving at that time.

She also notes the bend in the road is less bendy on the development plans as it is in person. Not quite sure that's the case. Just perception. Anyways, good job by that person. However, I don't really see too many issue with this project. Maybe some of the access stuff, but nah. Some good densification for the area.

Need developments of this scale spread throughout the downtown area and neighbouring areas.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:09 AM
surely you agree with me

That woman paid a lawyer thousands of dollars to submit an injunction with the court of queen's bench.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:32 AM
What could go wrong?

The sub trade pricing for his project came out over a week ago.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:51 PM
BANNED

I drive by there every morning on my way to work in order to avoid driving on Osborne through the Village. Construction of this building might disrupt my morning commute, so I will do everything in my power to keep this from happening.

Just kidding.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
I drive by there every morning on my way to work in order to avoid driving on Osborne through the Village. Construction of this building might disrupt my morning commute, so I will do everything in my power to keep this from happening.

Just kidding.
I often make a point of hogging the lane on Roslyn to frustrate all the lead-foot commuters "invading" my quiet little bike route. No hard feelings!

I noticed today there are big "For sale - development opportunity" signs up at 586/588 Roslyn. Anyone know much about those properties? I love those buildings and they both appear to be in decent shape, I'd be sad to lose them to some bland little Conrad House type thing.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.87761...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 8:22 PM

It's actually hilarious that the core of her argument is around the "blind corner" and having an insufficient lobby at said corner. It's hard to figure out what her point even is.

All I got from the few pages I read is that people are using a small residential road as a thoroughfare (already), so maybe the city should try and mitigate that. Has nothing to do with the development. If anything all the extra traffic from this development will slow drivers down and make people avoid it, in turn making Roslyn safer. Excellent.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 PM

Osborne Village Inn

LL&G have pulled their vendor license and they close at the end of the month. New owners tried to sell again and don't have enough money for the renovation.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
LL&G have pulled their vendor license and they close at the end of the month. New owners tried to sell again and don't have enough money for the renovation.
What a mess. Fingers crossed that it will fall into the hands of someone with the means to get the job done. With all the vacancies in OV these days (and more on the way as TD's days are numbered), the last thing that the Village needs is for the Inn to sit empty for years to come.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:49 PM
BANNED

The village really needs a kick-ass project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan