HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:01 PM

mystery location #2

eBay

I could be wrong, but I don't believe we've seen this slide on NLA.
The most obvious clue here is the great SEAFOOD blade sign shaped like a Marlin. (and the building to it's left looks like it's probably a bank)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

mystery location.

old file / probably eBay

Can anyone read the sign on the building at left?

My guess is somewhere in the San Fernando Valley....but where exactly, I don't know.
The large text says "Andrew Jergens Co". The 1942 CD lists them at 99 W Verdugo Avenue in Burbank. The street is now fenced off from the railroad at this point, but I can't see any of the buildings from the picture above.

LAPL

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:

mystery location #2

eBay

I could be wrong, but I don't believe we've seen this slide on NLA.
The largest clue here is the great SEAFOOD blade sign shaped like a Marlin.
This image is new to NLA, but you posted a similar one in October 2013 in post #17075 (below). In a bit of a joint effort, we concluded that we were looking at 4373 S Avalon, and that sadly the marlin had gone.

Quote:

mystery slide, 1963.

I am looking for help to figure out the location of this slide, mostly because I'm curious to see if that fantastic marlin/swordfish sign is still in place.
(upper left-hand corner)

The biggest clue? -probably the baseball stadium in the distance. (is it Wrigley Field or Gilmore Stadium?) I'm still researching.
Follow-ups in post #17077, post #17079 and post #17081.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The large text says "Andrew Jergens Co". The 1942 CD lists them at 99 W Verdugo Avenue in Burbank. The street is now fenced off from the railroad at this point, but I can't see any of the buildings from the picture above.

LAPL
Two SP streamliners; Daylights, maybe?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Two SP streamliners; Daylights, maybe?
That train appears to be The City of Los Angeles. There's a small round sign at the end of the club car. Same for the engine at the left side.

ebay

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:55 PM

While looking for the Standard Stations Inc gas station that e_r posted a day or two ago, I came across this image titled "Southeast corner of Colorado and Oakland showing Standard Oil Company service station, 520 East Colorado, and Pasadena Furniture Company, Pasadena. 1924." On the right is the extant First Church of Christ, Scientist, Pasadena.

Huntington Digital Library

I was originally planning a simple "then and now", but then I found a load more images. This one shows the Pasadena Furniture Company at 530 East Colorado in 1925. The windows advertise a "Reorganization Sale". I'm guessing that the lights on the right belong to the service station.

Pasadena Public Library

Another year later and the service station had been flattened. The same church is visible in the background. This image is dated 6/3/1926.

The reason for the site clearance was so that construction could begin on the Singer Building at 520 East Colorado. The sign on the side of the Pasadena Furniture Company building says "Now in Progress ANNUAL CLEARANCE SALE". This image is dated 7/15/1926.

Here's a close-up showing all the contractors.

Detail of picture above.

The completed Singer Building as it appeared on 10/19/1926. That's a great-looking lamp post on the left.

In 1932, 532 East Colorado Street became Pasadena's Sears, Roebuck and Company. The description says that "Sears bought the building after the Pasadena Furniture Company went out of business." Part of the Singer Building can be see on the right. Does anyone recognize the building on the left?

Pasadena Public Library

Someone should be prosecuted for defacing builings like this! At least the Singer Building seems to have survived reasonably intact. The old Pasadena Furniture Company building in now home to Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Los Angeles (Pasadena).

GSV

The Pasadena Furniture Company/Sears building can be seen in the background of three photos in post #9775, two posted by rcarlton, and one in a quote of a post by BifRayRock which is a larger version of one posted by kznyc2k.

Before I leave the Pasadena Furniture Company, here's another of their buildings. The description says, "Picture taken from 1915 Tournament of Roses Program." I assume the company moved from this building to the one on E Colorado rather than using them concurrently. Again from the description, "According to the 1916 Pasadena City Directory, the Pasadena Furniture Company was at 83-91 Raymond Avenue."

Pasadena Public Library

Despite being earlier, no one has vandalized this building, although they have added plenty of windows to the side elevation.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
The Terrell Moore Gallery Facebook page jumps from February 2012 to May 2013, but does list a new address of 1601 South Hope.

GSV (also May 2011)

Here's Frank W. Dillin's building in 1932.

USC Digital Library
____

I noticed that USC says the 1932 photograph above was 'retouched'.

I wasn't sure what that meant, until I found this 'untouched' 1931 version that shows the building surrounded by utility poles and lines.
Also notice how the scraggly trees and shrubs (below right) have been 'trimmed' in the 1932 retouched version.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/35797/rec/8

And here is the same building form a different angle (also 1931).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/35797/rec/8

here it is from the same angle....mostly covered by trees.

details----

close-up of one of the two cartouche.

As far as I can tell, they're missing.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2015 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:19 PM

re: The smaller building on the corner.

Quote:
The description says, "Picture taken from 1915 Tournament of Roses Program." I assume the company moved from this building
to the one on E Colorado rather than using them concurrently. Again from the description, "According to the 1916 Pasadena City Directory,
the Pasadena Furniture Company was at 83-91 Raymond Avenue."

Pasadena Public Library
_____

Here is an earlier photograph of the corner building. It pre-dates the much taller Pasadena Furniture Co. building (you can see the empty lot at left).
This is also before the addition in the back. (the portion of the building with the 'turret')

http://pasadenadigitalhistory.com/

I can't read the name of the undertaker above the front entrance.

This was written on back:
"ca. 1895, 90 N. Raymond Avenue. Great Grandpa Adams, founder of the 'Adams & Turner' (later 'Adams & Stevens).
Grandma Wall lived on the 2nd floor with my father."

below: I wonder if the clientele of Café Bizou is aware the place used to be an embalming parlor?

GSV

I was hoping the stained glass might date back to the time of the funeral home, but I don't see it in the 1895 photograph.
__

Here's an interesting view from the 1970s. scroll right to see the 'turret'----->

http://pasadenadigitalhistory.com/

Note that the '1895' engraved in stone at the roof-line has been plastered over (or removed entirely). Why do people do such things to buildings??

for comparison.

GSV

below: The addition in back with the short, but attractive, 'turret'. (along Holly Street)

GSV

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:

LAPL
Trains don't stop on a dime. Folks keep trying to see if they might, usually with deadly results. The train of the far track, whose parlor-observation car we see is the victim of the auto, and has done a pretty good emergency stop.
As to which two trains we are viewing- it gives me pause, as I forgot to settle in my mind the time of day, before I started typing. Late afternoon does not make sense, so let's say morning, when the night trains would be inbound and the Daylights outbound- The parlor-obs is on a Daylight, the engine facing us is on the Lark or the Owl perhaps, the view northward and I have no idea if that fits with Verdugo Ave

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:32 PM

Here's the photograph again, with your fine description Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Workman View Post
Trains don't stop on a dime. Folks keep trying to see if they might, usually with deadly results. The train of the far track, whose parlor-observation car we see is the victim of the auto, and has done a pretty good emergency stop.
As to which two trains we are viewing- it gives me pause, as I forgot to settle in my mind the time of day, before I started typing. Late afternoon does not make sense, so let's say morning, when the night trains would be inbound and the Daylights outbound- The parlor-obs is on a Daylight, the engine facing us is on the Lark or the Owl perhaps, the view northward and I have no idea if that fits with Verdugo Ave

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:41 PM

Description:

"Transportation-Autos, Trucks & Railcars.-Electric. Distribution. System line truck #463. circa 1919."

No Location Is Given.

Be sure to scroll right to see the apartment building next door---->

Huntington Library

I should probably know that house, but my memory fails me once again. (like it did earlier today with that damn Marlin sign)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2015 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 12:15 AM

Olive Street Bus Stop, circa 1954.

(I posted a larger version of this photograph several weeks ago)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27422

Here's an additional view from the opposite direction (also dated 1954...probably taken on the same day)

flickr/metro library

__

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
That train appears to be The City of Los Angeles. There's a small round sign at the end of the club car. Same for the engine at the left side.

ebay
eBay? This image is from the Denver Public Library. The 'City of Los Angeles' inbound from Cheyenne, 1938. The Union Pacific "City of Los Angeles"; rear view shows observation-lounge car "Sun Valley". Photographed by Otto Perry leaving Cheyenne, Wyo., February 13, 1938.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:52 AM

"Southern Pacific Cab-Forward 4112 off Alameda Street to Station Los Angeles, circa 1938."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Southern-Pac...item25a41750d5

Cab-Forward? -I've never heard of such a thing.

Suffix to say that my knowledge of trains is quite limited.
(I'm sure some of you rail-fans would like to kick me in the shins )

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2015 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:59 AM

Seltzer Beauty Salon building for rent in Bellflower, circa 1941.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Car-...item541cdff477

Here is 1083 Artesia today.

GSV

Despite the missing windows, it has the same 'angles' as in the 1941 photograph.

GSV / detail

__

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:07 AM

The Trains

Quote:
Villa Constance is a really nice discovery HossC. Too bad it's gone

'mystery' location.

old file / probably eBay

Can anyone read the sign on the factory building at left?

My guess is somewhere in the San Fernando Valley....but where exactly, I don't know.
(I've also been trying to figure out the accident.....which train hit the car? and from which direction?)
HossC and Ed Workman's comments are spot on. To ad a bit more, if we take the shadows into consideration this is an early morning photograph. Consulting my March, 1941 SP timetable I would offer that the train on the right is number 99, the northbound Coast Daylight which had just departed Glendale Station at 8:35 am., while the southbound train is number 76, the Lark, scheduled to stop at Glendale at 8:42 am. The track at the verdugo crossing is on a long gentle curve to the northeast. At this time there were many crossings between the north end of SP's taylor yard and Burbank Junction where the Coast and San Joaquin routes diverged, and these types of incidents were quite common.

Cheers,
Jack

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Apr 11, 2015 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:16 AM

You rail aficionados are amazing! All I saw was two trains. Duh
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2015 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
HossC and Ed Workman's comments are spot on. To ad a bit more, if we take the shadows into consideration this is an early morning photograph. Consulting my March, 1941 SP timetable I would offer that the train on the right is number 99, the northbound Coast Daylight which had just departed Glendale Station at 8:35 am., while the southbound train is number 76, the Lark, scheduled to stop at Glendale at 8:42 am. The track at the verdugo crossing is on a long gentle curve to the northeast. At this time there were many crossings between the north end of SP's taylor yard and Burbank Junction where the Coast and San Joaquin routes diverged, and the types of incidents were quite common.

Cheers,
Jack

Cheers,
Jack

The Morning Daylight departs Los Angeles, 1940

Train #99, the Morning Daylight, Southern Pacific train, engine number 4419, engine type 4-8-4 photographed by Otto Perry at Los Angeles, Cal., August 1, 1940.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:32 AM

Quote:
"Southern Pacific Cab-Forward 4112 off Alameda Street to Station Los Angeles, circa 1938."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Southern-Pac...item25a41750d5

Cab-Forward? -I've never heard of such a thing.

Suffix to say that my knowledge of trains is very limited.
(I'm sure some of you rail-fans would like to kick me in the shins )

__
Cab Forwards were unique to the SP. They flipped the engine so that the cab wasn't being filled with smoke from the stack, while they were going through long tunnels. There is only one left, and it is at the California State Rail Museum in Sacramento.

http://www.csrmf.org/events-exhibits...am-locomotives

Hope that helps,

Casey

Last edited by C. King; Apr 11, 2015 at 2:38 AM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 2:35 AM

Wreck of the Lark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Workman View Post
Thank you Ed. Trying to find info about the pictured incident, I found info on the 2 October 1915 wreck of the Lark (No. 76), northbound out of Los Angeles, at the Cuesta grade. Clubman R.W. Poindexter (offices in the 1896 Wilcox Building) and Mrs. L.B. Jamvier, WTCU official, of Pasadena were among the passengers, both unhurt. The accident was caused by a "spreading rail". I'm sure I've read about this accident before. The name "Lark" is so memorable b/c it's an odd one for a night train. Did it arrive at dawn?:

pix & info: http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/s...ain-wreck/906/

Also recalling the totally-gripping, 1989 runaway-train, double-disaster Duffy Street Incident at San Bernardino, huge news at the time, which I don't think has been covered here.

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 11, 2015 at 5:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos