HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:25 PM

That Maurice's go to line. "We play more games" when every team plays 82 games. At some point, you should have less games over a stretch of time than the other teams. Maurice always "oh the schedule." Every team deals with the schedule. Players wanted a break, on top of the 3 other breaks they have, and this is what happens. Now they're complaining. GTFO.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:46 PM

I think Maurice means the Jets have played more games than any team to date, which has been true. As for the defence, the Leafs keyed on Melchiori, who was absolutely awful. Had Trouba been in, I suspect that would have been a big difference maker. The Jets third pairing has been brutal all year.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:22 PM

I know what he means. But every single team goes through the same thing. Sure there's some tough stretches.

If you look back at the article (not sure what thread it was in) on Maurices second tenure in Carolina, exact same thing. Oh our schedule is too tough. Really?

Maybe it's just me. I'm growing weary of Maurice and his excuses.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:41 PM

Another $12 million going into MTS Centre to enhance concourse, bars and retail.

New lighting, flooring, ceiling, and signage are all part of an updated look for the MTS Centre scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2017. Starting this week, this latest round of arena upgrades shifts our focus from arena bowl enhancements in 2016 to comprehensive renovations in the concourses, and in the Portage Avenue Atrium, transforming the overall experience for Winnipeg Jets fans inside the MTS Centre.

On the south end of the main concourse, a new bar and Jets Gear location will be added. On the 300 level concourse, a bold new contemporary “Centre Ice Bar” will be built, along with a newly renovated and expanded bar overlooking the MTS Centre Atrium.

The overall renovations will incorporate new colours that will emulate the Winnipeg Jets brand colour palette, while incorporating an aviation theme of glass, steel, and rivets. In planning and preparation for the past three years, the 2017 MTS Centre Concourse Renovations Project is a major upgrade that will be completed in a series of phases over the coming months. During the renovations, True North Sports + Entertainment is committed to keeping you informed with progress updates on www.winnipegjets.com , social media, and in direct communication with you.

To see artistic renderings of the concourse renovations, please visit Jets Pass HQ on www.winnipegjets.com/JetsPassHQ.

Estimated at $12 million, the substantial renovations project is fully ownership funded, and represents True North’s ongoing commitment to reinvestment in the MTS Centre to continue to enhance your fan experience. We’re excited for you to experience how the 2017 MTS Centre concourse renovations will provide a cleaner, more modern environment for you.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:56 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:14 PM

I'm glad it's finally happening... the concourses were among the more underwhelming parts of the MTS Centre when it first opened. It was done on a tight budget and it showed, with loads of low-end finishes and office park beige.

I'm not saying you need Trump style marble and gold surroundings to enjoy a hockey game, but when you're charging $100 a ticket, the décor should probably be a cut above the average Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:36 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm glad it's finally happening... the concourses were among the more underwhelming parts of the MTS Centre when it first opened. It was done on a tight budget and it showed, with loads of low-end finishes and office park beige.

I'm not saying you need Trump style marble and gold surroundings to enjoy a hockey game, but when you're charging $100 a ticket, the décor should probably be a cut above the average Tim Hortons.
I just walked through the portage atrium this morning and for whatever reason was paying attention to the vinyl floor tiles. I was thinking to myself that perhaps it was time to update the flooring to something a little more "highend"!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:38 PM

Speaking of Tim Hortons. Pretty sure the bottom image is where the current Tim's location is. South end main concourse. It would be in the corner where the image shows 'Cheese and carver(y?)', which is slightly weird. I wonder if Tim's gets put into a generalized kiosk type place. As opposed to a full blown Tims set-up with food. Does anyone know if they still served food after they closed?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:42 PM
There is always a way

I like how a lush forest like canopy is portrayed in the first picture out the window.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:57 PM

are those are the trees rite beside the Met ?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:03 PM

I noticed them and yes they're accurate!! In the church yard beside the Met.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 10:59 PM

I wonder if that is it for true north 2020? The arena bowl is pretty much done either then eventual expansion possibilities. I guess player facilities could still be upgradced but either than that the building is pretty much brand new

Still crossing my fingers for the strip of oak from the suite rail to be covered up with some kind of metal strip. That would conclude my wish list for MTS centre

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Speaking of Tim Hortons. Pretty sure the bottom image is where the current Tim's location is. South end main concourse. It would be in the corner where the image shows 'Cheese and carver(y?)', which is slightly weird. I wonder if Tim's gets put into a generalized kiosk type place. As opposed to a full blown Tims set-up with food. Does anyone know if they still served food after they closed?
I just notice the small print on the renderings saying "artist rendering subject to change" so anything is possible regarding vendor locations.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I wonder if that is it for true north 2020? The arena bowl is pretty much done either then eventual expansion possibilities. I guess player facilities could still be upgradced but either than that the building is pretty much brand new
The last major piece of renovations will be to the event level, change rooms etc. Likely next year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:52 PM

Okay, the Jets suck. They definitely need an NHL starting goaltender. And the defense is very suspect. Enstrom is in decline. Byfuglien still makes too many lazy plays. On the other hand, Trouba and Morrisey are awesome. But I think they need to break them up to help out the other pairings.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Okay, the Jets suck. They definitely need an NHL starting goaltender. And the defense is very suspect. Enstrom is in decline. Byfuglien still makes too many lazy plays. On the other hand, Trouba and Morrisey are awesome. But I think they need to break them up to help out the other pairings.
I think that at this point in the season we should leave trouba and morrisey together to let them continue development of chemistry. These guys are presumably our top pairing going forward so let's get them to keep growing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:08 PM

It's such a mixed bag with these guys. One period they look like a team who can compete with anyone in the league. The next period, they're complete garbage. That's been Jets problem since 2011, consistency.

Trouba and Morrissey are phenomenal. They're not even the future of the blue line, they are the blue line now. Buff is hit and miss. Enstrom is good, but just too small..

The forwards can score goals every game. No worry on that end, just be consistent and STOP TAKING PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!

As for goaltending. Same thing. Hellebuyck looks solid for stretches., Then is way out of position the rest of the time. Seems to get beat upstairs quite easily. Jets need to get a good veteran in there and change at least the goaltending coach IMO. Goaltending has been suspect from day 1. Maybe if Pavelec had a different coach, things would've been different.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:21 PM

Pavelec started with the Thrashers in 2007. What other team would have such a shaky goalie still playing for them a decade later?

I fully admit I have no idea about the ins and outs of managing a NHL team, but how hard can it be to fix this problem?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:58 PM

I'm really starting to question Chevy now. The goaltender situation for this year is a massive gamble that failed and now they are going to be out of the playoffs yet again. You have to make an investment in the team in order to get to the playoffs, and then you get the payoff. The worse thing is that this not a great draft year so they won't be getting any patrik laine-style rewards in the draft.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:31 PM

The Sun is speculating that, now the season is basically over, we may be seeing Roslovic, Connor and Comrie called up for some games.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan