HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:00 PM

There is a remarkable looking home in my old area on River Rd near St. Vital Park that I believe was built by him as a personal residence. It changed hands a few years ago and thankfully was bought by someone who appreciated the uniqueness and did not tear it down for a new build like so many homes on River Rd/Wellington and other streets. Here's an interesting article from when it was on the market. Also another link with neat photos and a feature sheet. I'm kind of confused as to the benefit of using electric baseboard heat in a house that size. I have it in a 900 sq-ft townhouse and I find it never feels as warm as with circulated forced air. Costly too.

http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/w...he-Red/id-2489
http://www.webview360.com/wv/Manitob...Lopston/112820

He also had built a similar looking home on Park Blvd E that thankfully still stands.
http://www.webview360.com/wv/Manitob...Bachman/107060

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Amazing he's still going at 85 years of age. Wikipedia also lists him as a distant relative of Louis Riel.
Riel's maternal grandparents were Jean-Baptiste Lagimodière and Marie-Anne Gaboury (who I think had the farm that was located at the mouth of the Seine). So I guess Etienne is related through Riel's maternal grandmother, just going by the name.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

Yes, Lag/Gaboury park. I frequent the location during the summer months. I had thought it may be named after Etienne. But makes sense by the name of his grandparents. Or even great great grandparents going by the dates in the MHS article below.

There is still a historic homestead location near the mouth of the Seine. It is in the path of the future transitway, if it runs through there. I assume the City will preserve the historical site.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/lagi...egaboury.shtml

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfan68 View Post
There is a remarkable looking home in my old area on River Rd near St. Vital Park that I believe was built by him as a personal residence. It changed hands a few years ago and thankfully was bought by someone who appreciated the uniqueness and did not tear it down for a new build like so many homes on River Rd/Wellington and other streets. Here's an interesting article from when it was on the market. Also another link with neat photos and a feature sheet. I'm kind of confused as to the benefit of using electric baseboard heat in a house that size. I have it in a 900 sq-ft townhouse and I find it never feels as warm as with circulated forced air. Costly too.

http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/w...he-Red/id-2489
I remember drooling over that house when the article first ran. Demolishing it would be a sacrilege, I'm glad it never happened.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:14 PM

The house looks just like the church haha. The church is finished throughout the interior with the same red bricks.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:43 PM

I believe he retired a few years back. the original design for my condo building was by Gaboury and it would have been iconic. but after a very long story we ended up with a building by ray wan anyways it still looks ok..but nothing close to the original concept.

He also designed the mint which I think is quite a beautiful building. also the rebuilt church inside the cathedral walls.

I think the Aspers missed an opportunity by not getting him front and centre on the cmhr. he understands the prairie and our love of natural light..i wonder what he would have come up with (I support the museum but not a huge fan of the exterior). I am no expert on architecture but I do think Gaboury's work will be celebrated by future generations.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:19 PM
Create and Conquer

I stumbled upon an album of photos I took in the Exchange back in September, and thought I'd post some of them here.

This last one is an interesting shot I caught of a pair of sneakers and a backpack on the roof of one of the buildings. Seeing them from the top of a parkade made me feel like I was playing a VR Mirror's Edge

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:13 AM

Would love to see more development of residential in Chinatown, that park is one of (if not the) nicest parks in the city and most people don't know it exists. Would love to live with that next door. Bag Factory and upcoming 318 Ross are a good start...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Would love to see more development of residential in Chinatown, that park is one of (if not the) nicest parks in the city and most people don't know it exists. Would love to live with that next door. Bag Factory and upcoming 318 Ross are a good start...
I had to look on Google Maps to see where exactly that park is - right at James and King. I work a few blocks from there and had no idea it was there...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres sorta a ampitheater space built into that plazza as well

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 9:01 PM
What could go wrong?

I was just fooling around - everything is really rough but you get the idea.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:23 PM
There is always a way

You forgot Dcondo

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 12:08 AM

Very cool Biff, thanks - always nice to see these conceptions...it is quite impressive

Quite impressive actually....seems to give the impression of "doubling" Winnipeg's skyline despite there not actually be 2x the buildings going up. The scope of the proposed buildings, especially if SkyCity becomes a reality, does a lot.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
You forgot Dcondo
And St. Marys

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:54 AM
BANNED

This is where height comes into play. A few tall towers can really change a city's image.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:55 AM

Nice work Biff. If 300 and Sky see the light of day and I'm confident about one. This will be such a big boost for the skyline. Much like the ICE District in Edmonton but on a smaller scale.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 8:04 PM

Almost 3 years here.I know its a ton of work but how nice would it be to see some fresh renderings?
Thanks

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Almost 3 years here.I know its a ton of work but how nice would it be to see some fresh renderings?
Thanks
I don't think there's much to add as of now? Someone did a great rendering with 300 Main in the 300 Main thread a few months back.

We have to wait for some new high-rise announcements.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
I don't think there's much to add as of now? Someone did a great rendering with 300 Main in the 300 Main thread a few months back.

We have to wait for some new high-rise announcements.
portage place the new tower for wanawansa

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
portage place the new tower for wanawansa
Wawanesa won't make a dent in the skyline but yes, I forgot about those PP towers. They should stick out a bit hopefully.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan