HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 11:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Who said that?
CentreVenture president and CEO Ross McGowan:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...122853994.html

[...]

"CentreVenture president and CEO Ross McGowan said it would be prudent to include the Wagon Wheel in that plan.

"Of course it would be. They are an institution and an asset to the community," McGowan said of the 53-year-old diner. "We often lose sight of these things. But why can't we accommodate the Wagon Wheel?"

No specific plans, however, can be made until the Longboat plan for the block is complete, McGowan said.

Gomez said she is not averse to moving the Wagon Wheel, even though she doesn't relish the thought."

[...]

I'm pretty sure someone in the Chipman development company suggested, at one point, that they could assist the Wagon Wheel with relocation. In any event, I do recall some discussions of trying to find a new place for the WW.

Here's another story indicating quoting McGowan:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...133516818.html

"McGowan hasn't had any direct contact with Gomez, but he has indicated to Scott Stephanson, president of Longboat Development Corp., which bought the Norlyn recently, about the importance of finding another site for the Wagon Wheel.

"If we have to help them with their rent or their move, we're certainly prepared to do that. We're more than willing to work with them. We don't want to see them harmed," he said."

Last edited by Authentic_City; Jan 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

"We're more than willing to work with them". Doesn't exactly sound like they were lying to the public about anything.

Has anyone even spoken to the owner to see what she is up to now?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:03 PM

It's been years already... the sun has set on the Wagon Wheel. No one is going to set up a 1950s style sandwich joint in a flashy new glass space.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:18 PM
BANNED

It would be great if someone opened such an establishment in the vacant building at Donald and Ellice, or the former Tim Horton's/Randstad on Notre Dame...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:22 PM

For what it's worth, there are already several new sandwich shops downtown, both in food courts and storefront CRUs...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:34 PM
BANNED

I am thinking more along the lines of Zak's (Ottawa)--miss that place.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's been years already... the sun has set on the Wagon Wheel. No one is going to set up a 1950s style sandwich joint in a flashy new glass space.
Perhaps the city could erect a commemorative historic plaque on the sidewalk in front of Glasshouse memorializing the former Wagon Wheel Restaurant? It could be the first in a series of plaques commissioned by the city commemorating former eateries lost in the name of progress -- The Paddlewheel Restaurant, Kelekis, The Shanghai, etc. A glossy brochure could be printed and tourists could take a self-guided walking tour of the lost restaurants of Winnipeg. What a great economic development opportunity for Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Perhaps the city could erect a commemorative historic plaque on the sidewalk in front of Glasshouse memorializing the former Wagon Wheel Restaurant? It could be the first in a series of plaques commissioned by the city commemorating former eateries lost in the name of progress -- The Paddlewheel Restaurant, Kelekis, The Shanghai, etc. A glossy brochure could be printed and tourists could take a self-guided walking tour of the lost restaurants of Winnipeg. What a great economic development opportunity for Winnipeg!
Maybe a Guy Maddin movie could be commissioned? Something to do with séances at Child's Restaurant... this could be a winner

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:14 PM

Hahaha nothing screams economic development like showing people places they can't spend their money. Thanks for digging up those quotes re: the Waggonwheel, Authentic City.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:24 AM

Brown's Socialhouse lists Winnipeg as a franchise opportunity, not with its other locations that have franchisees. http://brownsrestaurantgroup.com/cor...opportunities/
I wonder if the lack of a franchisee is the reason for no progress on the Portage location.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:10 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
Brown's Socialhouse lists Winnipeg as a franchise opportunity, not with its other locations that have franchisees. http://brownsrestaurantgroup.com/cor...opportunities/
I wonder if the lack of a franchisee is the reason for no progress on the Portage location.
I was wondering the same thing.

Drove by a couple of nights ago and the lights were on and you could see that the space is still pretty much undeveloped with only a few bare framed walls.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:16 PM

I would assume they're currently paying rent on that space as well? Ie: a huge waste of money.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
I wonder if the group that has the existing rights to develop stores in Winnipeg has let that option go. I recall reading in the newspaper that they wanted to do 5 or 6 stores in Winnipeg and seem to stuck with only 2 open.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 7:45 PM

The Browns in Centrepoint IS moving along, it IS happening, and it IS owned by the franchisee of the other two Winnipeg locations.

They just ripped the front of the building off a few weeks ago to install their corporate entrance.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 12:35 AM

I drove by the entrance to Alt today and it looked like there was a Tim's outlet going in immediately south of the hotel doors.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Tim's: gross...well, OK, the steeped tea is good.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:57 AM

It's true. Impressive they managed to keep it so under the radar, it look like it'll be ready to open in days. Work in Browns is still chugging along...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i drove by the entrance to alt today and it looked like there was a tim's outlet going in immediately south of the hotel doors.
great!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Now, how about a storefront McDonald's...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Now, how about a storefront McDonald's...
That's exactly what I was thinking... McD's at Cityplace is always busy, and I think one directly on a street (Portage or Graham, for example) would generate some pedestrian activity.

I'm a little surprised that Longboat is going with the Tim's/Alt combo... a donut shop seems dowdy next to Alt's somewhat chic presence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan