HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:03 PM
Community Guy

Mayor's Task Force on the Elimination of Poverty

I had the pleasure of being invited to the Mayor's Symposium on the elimination of poverty today at the Shaw.

Did you know:

Over 100,000 Edmontonians live in poverty, that is 1 out of 8 of us.

30% of those are children

The cost to Albertans is estimated between $7.1-9.5 BILLION each year.

The vast majority of those in poverty are new immigrants and Aboriginals, with both of these groups being the fastest growing portions of our population.

The symposium was following up on the 26 member Task Force's hard work over the last few months and will be creating a report by late summer which will then go to Council for support within the year. This will work to better address, fund and support the 5 key areas below.

(http://mastermaq.s3.amazonaws.com/pu...ingpoverty.jpg)

See Mack's blog

http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2014/03/18/...Maq's+Blog)

I would like to challenge all of you to get more involved, become more aware of the issues and see what you can do as an individual to eradicate poverty within a generation or less.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:24 PM
Round Head

Ambitious - we're only trying to reduce poverty

http://www.enoughforall.ca/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:46 PM

Reducing poverty is much more realistic. But whatever the goal, poverty is far more a provincial issue, especially since so many in poverty are very recent immigrants or recently relocated to the city from Reserves or elsewhere.

Also, claims that 1/8 of us are living in poverty are grossly exaggerated. It may be true based on statistical definitions like income below 50% of the median, but that's not poverty, at least not usually.

Anyway, the city should focus on the few issues within their power, like enabling construction of more affordable (not subsidized) housing, better low-cost transportation (improve ETS), and ensuring that poor citizens have equal access to civic services including police, and similar.

Incidentally none of these things (affordable housing, affordable transportation, safe neighbourhoods) would do anything to reduce statistical poverty rates, but they sure would reduce it's impacts.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:03 AM

I used to volunteer at Hope Mission in Edmonton a long time ago, and I know that the answer to ending poverty is very complex. There are a lot of medical issues, addictions, self worth, trauma and other issues at play that keep people in the poverty cycle.

It is advantageous of Edmonton (and I applaud such efforts) to take on such a project, but it is also utopian to suggest the complete elimination of poverty.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:51 PM
Community Guy

We eliminated most of slavery and apartheid, both created by us... this is NO different.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:58 PM
HVAC guru

Class divisions are created by our economic system.. the one that favors the wealthy and constricts those with challenges that lead to poverty

To eliminate "poverty" we'd need to look at our economic system and how it functions as a whole.

As a society are we willing to do that ? I'd guess the push bakc would be pretty intense

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:02 PM
Community Guy

That is part of the solution yes.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We eliminated most of slavery and apartheid, both created by us... this is NO different.
Apartheid still exists in Canada. It goes by the name of Indian Act here. The issue of poverty comes from all levels of government.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:39 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
It is advantageous of Edmonton (and I applaud such efforts) to take on such a project, but it is also utopian to suggest the complete elimination of poverty.
If you aim higher and fall short of your goal, chances are you'll still have accomplished more than if you successfully met a lower goal.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:39 PM

Has there ever been a government or an economic system in the history of the world that has eliminated poverty? An incredibly ambitious idea which I don't think can be done.

However, some impacts of poverty can be reduced by addressing homelessness, transportation, safety, addiction treatment, etc. Affordable child care is another one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton