HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 2:42 AM

wouldn't an apple store fit well into strathcona?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 2:48 AM

^Probably, like I said, there is probably enough potential customers in the area with that whole Apple/Starbucks hipster thing, although I'd hope Whyte Ave keep it's independent side, I don't think Jasper Ave will revitalize quick enough to keep the chains perhaps in a Downtown location instead. It could end up like Vancouver with Jasper becoming our Robson, the Warehouse district our Yaletown, and then Whyte our South Granville.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 7:57 PM
Community Guy

CMD et al - you have just proved my point with our 'priorities'... with that being typical suburban mall support. Other than Whyte, and even with whyte, we have voted with our dollar and continue to support a city that seems to want to continue to live with a mediocre downtown and very very few interesting walkable shopping districts.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 8:12 PM
HVAC guru

This has nothing to do with "we" cold. People are not going to pack the downtown streets and wait for these stores to show up.

The issues like these downtown are not 'your' issues specifically. They are issues present in any neighborhood trying to re-invent itself.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:37 PM
Community Guy

^disagree. Stores go to where people are and it is very unfortunate where people tend to go and have experiences for retail these days.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
HVAC guru

^ That's my point. They went to Southgate because it's busy & likely to get a lot busier. I've never set foot in the place, but likely will now just because I can take the train there.

I'm saying that it's unfair to expect people to crowd the streets in order to drive more & better business. Just like it's unfair for me to expect that people should invest in my 'hood just to accelerate the Avenue revival... It's a process of enticement... a slow, slow process.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:18 PM
Community Guy

^Downtown is an embarrassment in many respects and we are simply not doing enough fast enough to correct it.

Being in MTL this past weekend reminded me how far we have to go in making it a place to go, be seen, and enjoy a warm day on a patio or strolling along shops.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:22 PM
HVAC guru

Well Montreal did have a heck of a head start

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:24 PM

Plus 3 more people for every 1 Edmontonian helps and a huge tourist base.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:28 PM
Community Guy

plus continued excuses excuses excuses

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:34 PM

you seriously think a city of one million can compete with a city of almost four? apples to oranges. especially one that has much more history and existing urbanity?

we can best compete with western cities.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
Community Guy

^you can choose what kind of city you want to live in, you can choose where you shop, you can choose what kind of experience you want, you can you can you can.

and please, for christ's sake, don't take the attitude of let's just deal with fact that we are something and cannot be more!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:00 AM

Edmonton certainly can be more than it currently is, I agree with you there. But presently, it will not be a Montreal. It could be a Portland or a Denver or a Vancouver or maybe a San Diego, but Montreal, one of the greatest urban destinations in North America, hell no.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:01 AM
Community Guy

let me make this a little clearer

EDMONTON DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN EDMONTON, BUT WHAT DOES EDMONTON WANT TO BE?

right now it ain't pretty

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:03 AM

^It could be LIKE Portland, Denver, Vancouver or San Diego in terms of urban appeal, transit usage, urban mentality, urban revitalization, pedestrian activity, etc. Not an exact clone.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:54 AM
Community Guy

dude, my point is being missed... it could be but still is not doing enough to be more urban.

perhaps it simply does not want to be

seems like it more and more

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:50 AM
Urbis Maximus

^The reality is that the majority of Edmonton's growth occured post war which was dominated by automobile-centric design and built form. Montreal's growth occured throughout many era's pre-automobile. This is why a large part of its built form is designed for the pedestrian / horse and cart. Only a small portion of Edmonton was designed like this and unfortunately, much of it was demolished to make way for post modern automobile-oriented design. A lot of wonderful buildings were demolished in Montreal too, but there was so much of this build form, that a lot has remained intact.

This doesn't mean that Edmonton can't reconnect to its urban roots. I think it is, but this isn't something that happens overnight.

So comparing Edmonton to Montreal is weak given that there are many differences between both cities beyond population.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:04 AM

Let's wait until the new $400 million drugstore opens up, then we'll see what kind of foot traffic downtown Edmonton gets.

In the meantime, one can always contact an Apple rep to ask why downtown Edmonton or Old Strathcona/U of A doesn't have an Apple store.

List of locations in Canada:
http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/storelist/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:18 AM
Community Guy

^ESQ actually has an apple store for those interested.

CMD - i am but using MTL as reference not example so much.

I am not convinced Edmonton wants to make smart urban decisions or become an urban centre.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:23 AM

^What about all the LRT construction, approvals, and proposals? That's a pretty smart move. We have so much on the plate now with LRT it's exciting. I mean NLRT is just a small amount of funding away from going fully ahead, Gorman is funding away too, and it looks like the WLRT-SELRT line looks also pretty much just waiting for the money to show up (although I could be wrong, and there could be still lots to get through). Transit is really starting to become viable of an option for a larger amount of people now. I mean we just hooked up the LRT to a major destination, Southgate! This will bring lots of people onto the LRT as it is a major place people go at all sorts of times, not just for games or concerts or when school is in session.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton