HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 7:25 AM

Looking cool in the pictures is one thing, looking cool in practice is the other. If the train can pace or pass the cars on the highway, I'm all in favor of it. However, there's hardly a more hopeless feeling than sitting in a train going at its top speed while a whole freeway full of cars passes you by. It's just bad advertising to compare the cars at their fastest with trains that, well, aren't as fast in some cases. If there is one single reason why ridership on median-using lines is lower, I would guess it is because watching all the automobiles going past is bound to make riders think 'huh! I could be home by now if only I drove!'
Whereas on the other hand, if the train is faster, or if there is a bad traffic jam, or weather-delays on the highway or what have you, and the train goes faster - the advertising isn't exactly as strong in the trains favor, but it is at least pointed that way.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 1:56 PM

It would be great advertising passing cars on the highway in rush hour when everyone driving gets stuck in traffic, especially at a cruising speed of approx 100 MPH, and would have to be electric of course.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:50 PM
Urbane observer

^This in fact happens in Chicago during rush hours. You feel so smart whizzing along on the Blue Line watching the drivers creep along in traffic. You can turn on the radio or check an app and learn that for the poor motorists, traffic is so bad this afternoon that it will take them almost 45 minutes (twice as long as usual) to get from the Loop to O'Hare.

Until you remember that 45 minutes is the scheduled time for your train to get from downtown to O'Hare.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:38 PM

There's also the part about not having to focus continously on driving and then having to find and pay for a park.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 12:45 PM
TL;DR

Or you're like me and think sitting in traffic is a hellish torture only fit for murderers and war criminals. 45 minutes on a train is infinitely better than 45 minutes stuck in traffic.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:44 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Or you're like me and think sitting in traffic is a hellish torture only fit for murderers and war criminals. 45 minutes on a train is infinitely better than 45 minutes stuck in traffic.
Really? Stuck in a train with a smelly, loud, obnoxious person sitting next to you is better than sitting in your own clean and quite car alone with the radio playing your favorite music?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Really? Stuck in a train with a smelly, loud, obnoxious person sitting next to you is better than sitting in your own clean and quite car alone with the radio playing your favorite music?
That's pretty ignorant considering not everyone is smelly, not every train is dirty, and head phones exist.

I however believe you should have both options and the perfect scenario would be the option to drive or take the train.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:05 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

clean, fast commuter trains are the bees knees. i wish we had metra, here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation