HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
In that last photo, WTC1 plays the role of Waldo.

FTW (game show context ), Where is he?
Way in the back, to the right side of the photo in the middle. Kind of blends in with the sky.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 11:41 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:23 AM

My singular wish for this tower with respect to "coulda woulda shoulda" is that they'd have brought the randomly undulating facade aspect at this side of the tower all the way to the top. It woulda done wonders with the building hitting sunlight.
Why they chose to restrict this effect to the streetlevel setback continues to disappoint me.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 1:17 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

today

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 3:38 AM

Quote:
My singular wish for this tower with respect to "coulda woulda shoulda" is that they'd have brought the randomly undulating facade aspect at this side of the tower all the way to the top. It woulda done wonders with the building hitting sunlight.
Why they chose to restrict this effect to the streetlevel setback continues to disappoint me.
Give it some time. I have a feeling that when the protective layer is taken off and the building is cleaned and stitched up that this will look great. Hard to envision in its present state

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Similar view...

Yelp.com

Dan_DC

evzz66

A Z F

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
Give it some time. I have a feeling that when the protective layer is taken off and the building is cleaned and stitched up that this will look great. Hard to envision in its present state
Oh yes, I have no doubt that the layer when removed will do a lot of good; but I'm referring to the actual surface points of the cladding that look like waves. They should've carried that all the way up; and at street level the fact that this wasn't done doesn't look too rewarding from a visual aspect.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
I wondered about that too. Although, I wouldn't go as far as having them all the way up cause I think it would alter the aesthetics of the tower and make it look like there's too much going on on the cladding. But I do wish they had more of it on the first few floors, so it could be appreciated more when people walk by.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 4:23 PM

Update from this week - no progress on the cladding.

One57 June 2013 Construction Update

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:56 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, I have no doubt that the layer when removed will do a lot of good; but I'm referring to the actual surface points of the cladding that look like waves. They should've carried that all the way up; and at street level the fact that this wasn't done doesn't look too rewarding from a visual aspect.
I agree. I think it would look good with the waves going much higher up the tower than they do. Nevertheless, it's still looks good with the way it is.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:24 AM
Bostonian

If you compare babybackribs' and NYGuy's photos, you can see that cladding has been added on the north (Central Park) side.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 2:58 PM

Sorry for not knowing much, but I keep hearing about this protective layer on the cladding. What is it? How is it "removed"?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
If you compare babybackribs' and NYGuy's photos, you can see that cladding has been added on the north (Central Park) side.
Yes! Some visible progress on the crown structure in recent photos as well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyToNYC View Post
Sorry for not knowing much, but I keep hearing about this protective layer on the cladding. What is it? How is it "removed"?
Basically the same stuff that comes on acrylic sheets or on new appliances. It is a poly stuck to the cladding and can just be peeled off. It protects the cladding from scuffs during shipment and installation. The poly used for cladding is usually made of a thicker poly.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:41 PM

Okay, thanks. So is it an individual sheet that needs to be pulled off each window?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyToNYC View Post
Okay, thanks. So is it an individual sheet that needs to be pulled off each window?
correct.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 11:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Barnett's success here could help his other, taller tower get financed...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...799658464.html

Building Backer? Try China

By ELIOT BROWN and LINGLING WEI
June 20, 2013

Quote:
New York developer Gary Barnett has nearly completed construction on one of the most expensive condominium towers in history. Now he is looking to China to back an even larger and taller tower a block away.

Mr. Barnett, founder of Extell Development Co., is in early talks with the state-owned Export-Import Bank of China for a loan of about $1 billion to build the soaring condo and hotel skyscraper just south of Manhattan's Central Park, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The New York condo market for new towers aimed at the ultrarich has been especially hot, with contracts flying out the door at new projects, and at prices well above 2007 peak levels...."The upper end of the upper end is where you're seeing this froth," said Jonathan Miller, chief executive of appraisal firm Miller Samuel Inc. "In many ways, it's become a new housing category."

The developers of 432 Park Ave., a 1,396-foot tower under construction, say they have signed a contract to sell a $95 million unit, which would be a record sales price for a New York apartment. In lower Manhattan, an 820-foot tower in TriBeCa under construction has already seen contracts signed for more than 80% of its units.

Mr. Barnett, in particular, has been a beneficiary of the trend. His under-construction, 1,004-foot tower, One57, is slated to open later this year. Activity has been brisk—more than 70% is sold—and two condos are in contract to sell for more than $90 million each, including one to a group led by investor William Ackman, people familiar with the sales say. Total listing prices for the 92 units top $2 billion, and even 50-square-foot storage spaces go for as much as $200,000.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Yes! Some visible progress on the crown structure in recent photos as well.
Finally!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive