HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It is art deco, but it is also starchitecture.
Never mind/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Actually, the best examples of starchitecture do age well. The Chrysler Building, for example, was considered as such during it's time, yet we all love it now.

You're basically suggesting that the Frost Building will eventually be considered an eyesore on our skyline, because it's of the same mold.
I already dislike the Frost Tower and think it looks like a building you'd find in a small town. I don't really think it's starchitecture, but I much prefer other buildings in Austin.

Most examples of contemporary starchitecture will be in weird Lady Gaga-esque oblong shapes in order to attempt to look different (for e.g. Zaha Hadid, Frank Gehry), not classic-looking buildings like the Christler Building. I call it Gagaist architecture and it just needs to go away. You wouldn't dress your kids in funky, awkward closing, so why dress your city in funky, awkward buildings? Especially considering buildings are semi-permanent. I tend to prefer a more conservative approach to designing buildings, letting styles change on their own over time, and take calculated risks.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 6:49 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The Frost Tower is an iconic and well recognized building. The reason why I say this is due to several factors. One I believe it was either Law and Order or NCIS though ill have to double check. In the most recent episode, the scene has some detectives walking into an office high up in a tower with a view of the New York skyline through the windows. The camera angle changes facing the detectives and wouldn't you know, on the wall in clear full view was a framed picture of none other than the Frost Bank Tower. Now of all the buildings they could have had in a picture on the wall, why do you think it was Frost? TV sets are set up with specific decor, they don't just throw in any old thing (unless it was low budget maybe and even then there needs to be a cohesive and complementing set.) The fact that the picture was clearly visible means they want the audience to notice it. Anyone who knows anything about Austin would immediately recognize that building. As far as I know there is no other building in the country exactly like it.

I play a mobile game called Metropolis which is kinda like Sim City. They use a lot of iconic buildings from around the world and guess what. There is a building that is exactly like Frost Bank. The only building ive seen that is definitely Austin's.

Frost is an icon of the city and it is a beautiful tower. Ive heard people comment from other cities that Frost is their favorite high rise. It was the best thing that could have ever happened because it broke the ceiling for future taller highrises.

As far as the latest design of Waller Creek Center, I will hold off on my opinion. To be honest I have not decided yet. As others have said I do think the design program that was used plays apart on how it is looking and as also mentioned, I wouldn't be suprised to see an updated final rendering. These renderings don't seem cleaned up just yet.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:05 PM

Jdawg do you mean Megalopolis? I love that game. Also, this Wikipedia article details real life architectural styles for anyone that's curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_style

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:16 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I love the Frost Bank tower. I don't care for the base much, but the tower is gorgeous. If it had been 200 or so feet taller, it'd be epic.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 11:19 PM

Frost Tower is a dope building. It is Austin's signature tower. I don't care what anybody says. It was Austin's first real tower and it is still a gorgeous building. The crown is something you only find in a bigger city and dare I say it is one of Texas' best skyscrapers.

I'm saying this while I am hanging out at the base of the Frost Tower. Now that Houndstooth has a spot to chill... it's still adapts well on street level.

The Fairmont, based on the latest rendering, will be another solid Austin signature tower.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:05 AM

I think my wife is a good example for the Frost Building. I grew up in Austin, but first time I took my wife downtown, she says, "Wow, what is that pretty building there?". It is still one of her favorite buildings and she isn't into skylines, but does appreciate them. When we were in Denver, out of the blue she said, "I like downtown, but their skyline isn't as pretty as Austin's.". Denver of course has a bigger skyline, but to her the buildings mattered more and a large part of that is architecture like the Frost Building.

Regarding Waller Place, I am withholding judgment until I see better, more finished renders. I will agree with previous posts that it lacks cohesion. Reoccurring themes are so important in a product looking professional and aesthetically pleasing. It is true for gardens and it is true for architecture.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
When we were in Denver, out of the blue she said, "I like downtown, but their skyline isn't as pretty as Austin's.". Denver of course has a bigger skyline, but to her the buildings mattered more and a large part of that is architecture like the Frost Building.
So.....size doesn't matter?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 6:24 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I love the Frost Bank tower. I don't care for the base much, but the tower is gorgeous. If it had been 200 or so feet taller, it'd be epic.
I totally agree. I love the design. However, it should have been in the 700-800 foot range!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
So.....size doesn't matter?
Well played!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 10:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Jdawg do you mean Megalopolis? I love that game. Also, this Wikipedia article details real life architectural styles for anyone that's curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_style
Yes that's what it's called, thanks for correcting the name. I was in class at the time I wrote that so didn't have time to check it.

I definitely agree that Frost should have been taller. Maybe one day a sibling tower in the 800 to 1,000 foot range could be built based off of Frost but with a more complex crown.

Now that ive taken a better look of the Waller Towers, im on the fence about what I think. Both arguments are valid about the design. It looks like they have merged the towers into a single base but I could be wrong. I wouldn't like it if they did that. From the recent articles, it sounds to me like they have not hammered out the final details as they continue to say the tallest tower could have more than 50 floors. I think we will see another set of renderings come out before all is said and done. With the new financial backer, they may have some say in the overal design of the complex.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 5:06 PM

Refer back to the original tower designs that were round mono color buildings, and now you have mixed buildings with stone, glass and such. These will likely not be the last renders either. I agree the renders seem futuristic or such, maybe they are planned that way or they are going for something out of this world like the Frost building. And the Frost is a iconic Austin building and it was delivered at the time at a respectable height for the city (it stood out well), the design made it well recognizable to everyone. To me its by far the best design so far in Austin. I have not see a proposal for anything better.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:31 AM

It looks like there is a very good chance that we'll have two 600'+ towers near each other - The Fairmont and the Waller condo/hotel tower.
A story on KVUE about downtown hotels with a sound bite from Mac Pike of the Sutton Company, mentions a 55-foot (sic, stories obviously, no proof reader?) condo tower, and a press release by the financial backer McCourt Global, says the tallest tower is "expected to exceed 50 stories."
Throw in 99 Trinity which will be located between the Fairmont and Waller project. and you got a pretty nice cluster of high rises.
The fact that the Sutton Company closed on the land when McCourt Global came on board and Mac Pike's Statement about picking the hotel operator in "45 days" is a very good sign that this is moving forward.

KVUE Story:
http://www.kvue.com/news/New-hotels-...257064861.html

McCourt Global Press Release:
http://www.mg.com/mccourt-global-tea...-austin-texas/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:31 AM
Member since 2001

Wow...almost 10,000 downtown hotel rooms by 2017 (those currently existing plus ~1,500 u/c and another ~1,500 with financial backing).

Sweet!

I really hope the Sutton/McCourt group develops Austin's new tallest building!!! We really need to crack the 750' mark (so we can truly say we have the tallest structure in Texas outside of Houston and Dallas).

It still bugs me that Mobile, AL (745') and OKC (844') have taller buildings...amongst other smaller cities around the world.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Frost Tower is a dope building. It is Austin's signature tower. I don't care what anybody says. It was Austin's first real tower and it is still a gorgeous building. The crown is something you only find in a bigger city and dare I say it is one of Texas' best skyscrapers.

I'm saying this while I am hanging out at the base of the Frost Tower. Now that Houndstooth has a spot to chill... it's still adapts well on street level.

The Fairmont, based on the latest rendering, will be another solid Austin signature tower.
For real. Some folks on here need to get out of the house more...

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Unless something has changed, doesn't the Austonian hold that distinction?

I agree we need to break the 750 foot and my preference 800 feet for multiple reasons including the need to break the invisible glass ceiling which has kept all recent towers below 500 feet.

Add the push to take out hurdles for developers to build taller building's and finally the goal looks to be in reach.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I really hope the Sutton/McCourt group develops Austin's new tallest building!!! We really need to crack the 750' mark (so we can truly say we have the tallest structure in Texas outside of Houston and Dallas).
With that 750 foot number I'm assuming you're referring to the Tower of the Americas. We've already passed it 4 years ago with the Austonian. The 750 foot number is only to the antenna, which isn't even part of the tower's design, and could eventually be removed. The roof of the Tower of the Americas is 622 feet, which coincidentally, is the height of the main roof of the Austonian. The Tower Life Building in San Antonio already removed its massive antenna a few years back and rebuilt a replica of the original flagpole that was on the building.

And even the RSA Battle House Tower in Mobile, which is 745 feet to the spire is still only 670 feet to the roof, and that roof height is lower than the roof height of the Austonian. Not to mention it only has 35 floors to the Austonian's 56 floors. And we already have 5 towers with more than 35 floors (the Frost Bank Tower has just 33). And there are at least another half dozen more towers that will have at least 35 floors.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 8:42 PM

Looks like The Chain Drive may or may not have closed. The owner says the bar has to move. A closing party was held on June 8th. Go figure. If it is true, this is another indicator that the Waller project might have some credibility.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily...he-rumor-mill/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 9:12 PM

^^I don't think it's closed just quite yet. There's a posting on their Facebook page from June 13 that says

Quote:
Since the Chain Drive has been given a short reprieve from the wrecking ball, DJ Kelly will be here tonight to entertain you with some tunes
Another post (also from June 13) says:

Quote:
We will be open till july 5th for gear night.
It does look like it's closing soon, though.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 2:25 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I was looking at the permits page on the city's website and shows that the master plan was due today July 1st. Hope we hear something soon about when construction could start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin