HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
Meh

Arrow ♬ The Austin Music Thread ♬

Why the hell not? There's live music playing everywhere else. I thought we could use a thread about Austin music.

One of Austin's best, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Almost 10 years ago my brother and I and his wife went up to Dallas to visit Stevie's grave. Yes, we are big time SRV fans. We also saw the house that he and his brother Jimmie Vaughan grew up in, and even visited the high school he went to.

Stevie Ray Vaughan died in a helicopter crash 1990 in Alpine Valley, Wisconsin after a concert he did there.

5.4 million views on this one.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
Meh

These guys rocked Auditorium Shores at SXSW this year. They made me proud. They're from Austin.

Bright Light Social Hour.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

This one pretty much sums up Austin.
Video Link

The Cult playing at Auditorium Shores at this year's SXSW. They invited Matthew McConaughey and introduced him as a "Texas legend". And of course he played the bongos with the band. He was not naked. LOL
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:07 AM
Meh

The Clash's classic video of Rock the Casbah. It was filmed in Austin in 1981ish. Check out the young Austin skyline. The video even captures a few scenes of the Alamo Hotel which was torn down in the late 80s to make way for an office tower. That lot is now occupied by 300 West Sixth.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_the_casbah
Quote:
The Clash made low-budget music videos for several of their songs, and the one for "Rock the Casbah" may be their most memorable. Filmed in Austin, Texas, it depicts an Arab, played by Austin actor Titos Menchaca, and a Hasidic Jew, played by local stage director Dennis Razze, befriending each other on the road and skanking together through the streets to a Clash concert at Austin Coliseum, often followed by an armadillo, interspersed with the band performing in front of an oil well.

The U.S. Air Force became an unwitting participant in the video. Two RF-4C aircraft landing at Bergstrom Air Force Base (near Austin) from the east are featured in the portion of the video with the lyrics "the King called out his jetfighters..."
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:42 AM
~Hook'em~

Great idea! Now that it is summer and all the shows are going on like Blues on the Green and the others around town like at the Bob Bullock it is one of my favorite times of the year for Austin music.

I think one part of the summer that makes the music in Austin so attractive to me is that so many of the students are out of town. lol. It always seems like the city goes more back to its roots this time of year. At least as far as its music is concerned.

Anyway, here are some contributions.

First we can't forget our super sexy and beautiful Jazz musician who won the Grammy for Best New Artist last year! <3 Esperanza.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:47 AM
~Hook'em~

Some others I love.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:16 AM
Meh

Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Cold Shot" video. It was filmed in Austin. There's a few scenes along Barton Springs Road west of Lamar and other places. There's even a few scenes from atop what I guess is the Driskill Hotel Annex or maybe the Litttlefield Building?

Video Link

"Change it" - They filmed this at Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg.

"Tightrope" - Live at Austin City Limits in 1989. This was a year before he died.

Video Link

Video Link

And these just because.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Clash's classic video of Rock the Casbah. It was filmed in Austin in 1981ish. Check out the young Austin skyline. The video even captures a few scenes of the Alamo Hotel which was torn down in the late 80s to make way for an office tower. That lot is now occupied by 300 West Sixth.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_the_casbah

Video Link
i was in my editing class a few months back and i had to do a music video using random bits and pieces from several different music videos. i ran across this one without knowing that it was filmed in austin. i noticed the skyline and even though i was not in austin in 81, i wasn't even born yet, i recognized that it was austin. and i also noticed that victorian home on guadalupe that i walked by every single night walking home.

it was a pleasant surprise knowing that The Clash had filmed a music video there.

anyways, that music video is pretty awesome with all its connotations. the jew, the arab, and oil drills. all those things are still prevalent today in our society.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:11 PM
~Hook'em~

To carry on from Kevin's great guitarist from Austin... Eric Johnson. I love him! So sexy.

One of my all time favorite songs, Cliffs over Dover.
Video Link

Eric and Bonamassa at the new Moody Theater. - Further on up the Road What I would have given to see this show with two of the all time best together. Next time for sure!
Video Link

And since it is an "Austin Music Thread" should probably include EJ's 'Austin' from his newest album.
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:19 PM
Meh

Stevie plays Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile"
Video Link

Two more Austin bands. Storyville and Arc Angels. Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton, who played with Stevie Ray Vaughan in Double Trouble, also played in Storyville and Arc Angels. The lead singer of Arc Angels, Doyle Bramhall II, his father trained Stevie Ray Vaughan to develop his style of vocals. I met Doyle Bramhall a few years ago. He actually died last year rather unexpectedly.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Also the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Jimmie Vaughan plays guitar in the band. He's Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 7:19 AM
Meh

Bob Schneider's "Metal and Steel" video. It was filmed in Austin. If you look, you can see the base of 300 West Sixth under construction.

Bob Schneider lives in Bee Cave.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 7:42 AM
Meh

Los Lonely Boys. They're from San Angelo, but they play in Austin a lot. I've seen them 4 or 5 times.

These guys are brothers.

This was from their live DVD "Los Lonely Boys - Texican Style (Live from Austin)". It was filmed at Auditorium Shores. I was actually there. Check out the skyline views. This was in 2004. I remember drooling over the brand new Frost Bank Tower just off to the right of the stage from where I was standing. They rocked the park that night.
Video Link

Here they are playing with Willie Nelson.
Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:49 PM
Meh

AC/DC played their first North American gig right here in Austin in 1977. It was at the Armadillo World Headquarters on the site where One Texas Center now stands. My cousin went to that concert.

This is from their 1977 album "Let there be Rock" - which I'm sure they were promoting that night in Austin.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
~Hook'em~

This isn't really about music from Austin, but it is music in Austin so hope that is OK.

I just read about it in the New York Times and thought it was interesting. Run-DMC is going to do their first gig since Jam Master Jay was murdered in 2002 at this years Fun Fun Fun Fest.

Video Link

Surviving Members of Run-DMC to Reunite for Festival
NEW YORK TIMES
July 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
By MELENA RYZIK

Quote:
The Adidas shell toes are getting another outing, another chance to “Walk This Way”: the surviving members of Run-DMC, the pioneering hip-hop group, will reunite to perform at the Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin, Tex., this fall, organizers announced.

The group went into retirement after the death of its D.J., Jam Master Jay, who was murdered in 2002. (The case was never solved.) In the decade since they last performed together, one member, Rev Run – born Joseph Simmons – has been a best-selling author, with “Take Back Your Family: A Challenge to America’s Parents,” and the star of an MTV reality show, “Run’s House.”

Read More: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...val/?ref=texas

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:01 AM
Meh

This is pretty cool.

http://sg1268.hubpages.com/hub/Austin-Music-History
Quote:
Austin Music Timeline (1900's-present)

From Threadgills to The Armadillo World Headquarters there was something about Austin that hit a magical note. A city rich with culture and diversity, A city that attracted artists and hippies alike. A place where one can hear live music in the air from all corners of the city every night of the week. A place that attracts tourists from all corners of the globe.To experience it. To live it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 12:00 AM
~Hook'em~

The new SXSWfm Radio has an Austin station. It is station 4 here: http://www.sxsw.com/fm

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:39 AM

This is a great thread. If I were to sum up Austin music, I would say The Black Angels rule!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ha! Glad I saw this before it was too late. This was created by my friend Jordan and his web designing crew, WeFAil! I was just hanging out with him last week in Los Angeles. Glad to see you posted this. He's good friends with Bob Schneider and he's collaborated with them other stuff before.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
This is a great thread. If I were to sum up Austin music, I would say The Black Angels rule!
Meh, I've seen them live 3 times and every time they've failed to impress me. I'd say White Denim is better.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 6:30 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Not bad.

Video Link

Watch the drummer fling the drumstick out of his hand at 3:14 and quickly grabs another.
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:36 PM
Meh

This is pretty epic. Watch it in full screen mode. Recognize the place?

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin