HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:26 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I drove by the site around 6 this evening. They took down the chain fence and installing posts for a larger permanent fence. Looks like we are seeing the start of construction. It seems that they have financing after all.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
https://twitter.com/FairmontAustin

So, if their twitter says it's construction, it must be construction, right?
I'm pretty sure that's just some fan page and not their real Twitter page.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I thought the same thing based on the other tweets. I don't think the Fairmont was lining up at Lustre Pearl.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:48 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
https://twitter.com/FairmontAustin

So, if their twitter says it's construction, it must be construction, right?
That isn't their twitter. It's a twitter account created by an amateur observer to document the construction.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:49 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Damn. You beat me to the punch. Damn page break.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:20 AM

From what Jdawgboy stated, they were taking down the chain link fence and installing a new bigger fence tells me construction is near. Btw who ever runs that account has an awesome view of the skyline!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I didn't drive by today though I might later. I will definitely pass by tomorrow evening.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:58 AM

I went down to the fairmont site this evening and the old fence is completely gone now. There are some larger posts already in the ground for the new fence. The site is completely open right now. It's hard to believe there will be such a large building right where I was standing. Also, they have put up large signs on all four corners now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I went down to the fairmont site this evening and the old fence is completely gone now. There are some larger posts already in the ground for the new fence. The site is completely open right now. It's hard to believe there will be such a large building right where I was standing. Also, they have put up large signs on all four corners now.
Yea I noticed that other sign on the northeast corner by Sabine as well. Kinda strange to have a sign there since that road doesn't really see much traffic and its one way going northbound so kinda defeats the purpose.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 6:09 PM

Went by on Saturday and also noticed the fence down with huge wooden posts. Not sure if this means the start of construction, but they are definitely doing something.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:24 AM

An ex coworker's husband is a forman on the electrical contractors for the Colorado Tower.
He said they are going to bid for the electrical work on the Fairmont. According to him, no one can place bids until groundbreaking which he said was within a few weeks. According to his management, everything is in place to procede. Once they get the fence up, construct the pedestrian tunnels and have the ceremonial spade turning dirt party with the VIP's, they expect that during the month and a half of foundation digging they will learn if they won their bid.
So this thing is totally on track to go vertical by summer's end, perhaps late July or August.
During our conversation, he told me his crew has already installed the 12 floors of parking garage lighting on the Colorado tower, and they are currently working on the 15th floor and external accent lighting which he said will be blue. I asked him to keep me informed on any news he gets on any of the projects planned or going on. He says he has reliable info...I hope he turns out to be a good source for info.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
An ex coworker's husband is a forman on the electrical contractors for the Colorado Tower.
He said they are going to bid for the electrical work on the Fairmont. According to him, no one can place bids until groundbreaking which he said was within a few weeks. According to his management, everything is in place to procede. Once they get the fence up, construct the pedestrian tunnels and have the ceremonial spade turning dirt party with the VIP's, they expect that during the month and a half of foundation digging they will learn if they won their bid.
So this thing is totally on track to go vertical by summer's end, perhaps late July or August.
During our conversation, he told me his crew has already installed the 12 floors of parking garage lighting on the Colorado tower, and they are currently working on the 15th floor and external accent lighting which he said will be blue. I asked him to keep me informed on any news he gets on any of the projects planned or going on. He says he has reliable info...I hope he turns out to be a good source for info.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Outstanding update!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 8:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

What is with the color blue and DT anyways. Sure its not a bad color although hard to see from a distance but we have a few blue lit buildings already. They rarely have the lighting on the Austonian change color anymore, its just blue. They have it change color during big events like SXSW and F1 but I don't see why they just leave it blue the rest of the time.

I think it makes sense these days to have multi changing LEDs. Im glad that they replaced the lighting on the Ashton to multicolor changing LEDs. They are inexpensive, they don't use much energy and they last a long time. They could at least have the option to change the color if they wanted to.

I've been thinking how cool the crown on Frost would look with hundreds of multicolor changing LEDs and the kind of lighting effects they could do. They could even be able to leave them on all night rather than shutting off at midnight since they would use a fraction of the energy it takes them to run the current lighting.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 8:51 PM

Jdawgboy, its a good problem to have. I'm excited shitless.. blue, red, whatever color. This is going to look real nice. Houston and Dallas are going to be slightly jealous.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What is with the color blue and DT anyways. Sure its not a bad color although hard to see from a distance but we have a few blue lit buildings already. They rarely have the lighting on the Austonian change color anymore, its just blue. They have it change color during big events like SXSW and F1 but I don't see why they just leave it blue the rest of the time.

I think it makes sense these days to have multi changing LEDs. Im glad that they replaced the lighting on the Ashton to multicolor changing LEDs. They are inexpensive, they don't use much energy and they last a long time. They could at least have the option to change the color if they wanted to.

I've been thinking how cool the crown on Frost would look with hundreds of multicolor changing LEDs and the kind of lighting effects they could do. They could even be able to leave them on all night rather than shutting off at midnight since they would use a fraction of the energy it takes them to run the current lighting.
I was thinking the same thing during SXSW and then rather disappointed when it went back to blue. The blue theme gets kind of old after looking at it every night so I like the multicolor changing LED idea. They should be encouraged to change the lights for energy efficiency reasons. Also, was it just me or did it look like the Austonian's roof was backlit with the new HUE lights during SXSW?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:16 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I was thinking the same thing during SXSW and then rather disappointed when it went back to blue. The blue theme gets kind of old after looking at it every night so I like the multicolor changing LED idea. They should be encouraged to change the lights for energy efficiency reasons. Also, was it just me or did it look like the Austonian's roof was backlit with the new HUE lights during SXSW?
They did have the roof lit as well which they also rarely ever do.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 10:01 PM

When I think of Austin, I think of Earthy colors; blue, green, beige, brown, burnt orange (obviously), and even yellow (probably due to SXSW). Despite being called the city of the violet crown, I don't think of purple or red. Another blue-themed building will fit in well.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

Oh Jdawg… you just want it all to look like a big dance club!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:26 PM

The new fence looked to be complete as of Wednesday.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin