HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:22 PM

Looks like the property at the corner of Morton & McLaughlin is finally going to be developed.
Rezoning application approved, makes way for new Moncton strip mall

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Looks like the property at the corner of Morton & McLaughlin is finally going to be developed.
Rezoning application approved, makes way for new Moncton strip mall
Yes, I actually noticed a new sign on that lot a couple of weeks ago while walking to the FIFA game.

The design has changed since the first render. Unfortunately, I find it doesn't look as nice. It's actually several detached buildings and looks more suburban and cheaper. They may be proceeding in phases. At least there still appears to be a restaurant with a large terrace facing Morton.

In such close proximity to the university, this is such a great location for a bar, café, bookstore, terrace etc... It would have been a great spot for Starbucks instead of their current location on Elmwood.

This is a great opportunity for a competitor such as Second Cup or maybe even PresseCafé to swoop in cut off Starbucks from the university crowd. I had inside information that PresseCafé was looking at opening a location in downtown Dieppe last year but couldn't find a franchisee. Things fell through when Starbucks opened their location nearby on Champlain street.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the photo of the re-envisioned McLaughlin Place mentioned above:

I agree with NBNYer. This is not nearly as nice as the initial proposal.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Yes, I actually noticed a new sign on that lot a couple of weeks ago while walking to the FIFA game.

The design has changed since the first render. Unfortunately, I find it doesn't look as nice. It's actually several detached buildings and looks more suburban and cheaper. They may be proceeding in phases. At least there still appears to be a restaurant with a large terrace facing Morton.

In such close proximity to the university, this is such a great location for a bar, café, bookstore, terrace etc... It would have been a great spot for Starbucks instead of their current location on Elmwood.

This is a great opportunity for a competitor such as Second Cup or maybe even PresseCafé to swoop in cut off Starbucks from the university crowd. I had inside information that PresseCafé was looking at opening a location in downtown Dieppe last year but couldn't find a franchisee. Things fell through when Starbucks opened their location nearby on Champlain street.
It sucks that it changed from the first Renders done before/during the demolition of the homes that where siting there... It look like a nice building, and I do agree with you that Having Second Cup or PresseCafé would cut at least a large part of people going from Uni to Star Bucks... i think PresseCafé is like other businesses that where looking to open new locations there still actively looking but tend to be more quiet ti'll the Franchisee comes along...

Does anyone else think they decided to go prefab? That's what it looks like "basic prefab units"...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:21 PM

Moncton construction project announced https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...747/?nopromo=1

Part of Elmwood will be widened between Cedarwood Avenue and Longfellow Drive

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Moncton construction project announced https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...747/?nopromo=1

Part of Elmwood will be widened between Cedarwood Avenue and Longfellow Drive

I'm wondering why they are not widening from the Trans Canada up to Longfellow Dr. Since there is supposed to be Commercial, and Residential going up that end.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I'm wondering why they are not widening from the Trans Canada up to Longfellow Dr. Since there is supposed to be Commercial, and Residential going up that end.
It is strange. Unless they are widening up to Cedarwood at the same time as the new intersection?

One thing I thought was, maybe they are widening and adding sidewalks from the Trailer Park to the High School, as any student would likely be able to walk from there. Where as, anyone living in Sunny Acres/Sunny Brae would be less likely to walk to school. Dunno. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 11:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just think how much cheaper it all would have been if they had built the new MHS somewhere closer to Moncton (like in the Harrisville area)......

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
It is strange. Unless they are widening up to Cedarwood at the same time as the new intersection?

One thing I thought was, maybe they are widening and adding sidewalks from the Trailer Park to the High School, as any student would likely be able to walk from there. Where as, anyone living in Sunny Acres/Sunny Brae would be less likely to walk to school. Dunno. We'll just have to wait and see.
I imagine you're right. They're probably trying to capture foot traffic to Moncton High from the Pine Tree mini-home park.

Apparently they are widening this section of Elmwood to four lanes, and I'm assuming a sidewalk is going to be installed too.

Elmwood is also going to be widened down by the TCH where the new Elmwood Centre shopping plaza is going to be built, and where the new rumoured Big Stop is going in. There will be a signalized intersection leading into the Elmwood Centre. I imagine all this will be four lane (with turning lanes) too.

This still leaves a segment in the middle (up to Cedarwood) that I imagine will remain pretty much as is. There isn't enough foot traffic there to justify sidewalks, and I'm not aware of any plans to four-lane this section. This segment of Elmwood however has the potential to be a bottleneck, so you never know. This might eventually be widened as well. The city had to widen (and install sidewalks on both sides of ) Ryan Street with the construction of Northrup Frye School and Ecole le Sommet. This was an extensive (and expensive) project requiring three years to complete. The full length of Elmwood might ultimately get a similar treatment........

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Just think how much cheaper it all would have been if they had built the new MHS somewhere closer to Moncton (like in the Harrisville area)......
You mean like where the new neighborhood between the Marriott, and Shediac Rd.?? Since the extra homes are not actually needed...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 12:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
You mean like where the new neighborhood between the Marriott, and Shediac Rd.?? Since the extra homes are not actually needed...
In that area yes, or in behind Grove Hamlet where Ecole Champlain is being relocated. The infrastructure needs there wouldn't have been nearly as great and the neighbourhood would already be walkable with minimal ugrades required.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The widening of Elmwood Drive to four lanes will extend 2.2 km, and will include curbs, sewers and sidewalks on both sides.

The federal contribution is $6.25M and is considered "in kind" as far as the events centre project is concerned, so things are also progressing on that front as well.

The widening project apparently won't begin until 2017, and will take three years to complete.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
The widening of Elmwood Drive to four lanes will extend 2.2 km, and will include curbs, sewers and sidewalks on both sides.

The federal contribution is $6.25M and is considered "in kind" as far as the events centre project is concerned, so things are also progressing on that front as well.

The widening project apparently won't begin until 2017, and will take three years to complete.
Such a waste, this never would have been required if Moncton High hadn't been built there.

I'd like to know the total coast overruns of this decision (and I consider this project part of this cost) compared to renovating the old MHS or rebuilding in the city centre.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Such a waste, this never would have been required if Moncton High hadn't been built there.

I'd like to know the total coast overruns of this decision (and I consider this project part of this cost) compared to renovating the old MHS or rebuilding in the city centre.
Well Lets calculate the cost of mold remediation, and full on reconstruction at the old Moncton High, then lets check how much the size of land needed would cost within the city centre, then the cost of a new building, and while where at it let's add the cost of all projects up Elmwood Considering a source told me that the sidewalk will meet with the other part of Elmwood drive after the on/off ramps are rebuilt they consider the 2 sets of lights a hazard, and want new on/off ramp built to make getting on, and off the Trans Canada from Elmwood safer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Well Lets calculate the cost of mold remediation, and full on reconstruction at the old Moncton High, then lets check how much the size of land needed would cost within the city centre, then the cost of a new building, and while where at it let's add the cost of all projects up Elmwood Considering a source told me that the sidewalk will meet with the other part of Elmwood drive after the on/off ramps are rebuilt they consider the 2 sets of lights a hazard, and want new on/off ramp built to make getting on, and off the Trans Canada from Elmwood safer.
OK... I'm timing you. GO!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:29 AM

I found this on Corey Craig Developments site:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I found this on Corey Craig Developments site:
I wonder what they hope to get to move in this 39 Acres project.
Considering there are 2 stores marked out as 40000 Sq Ft, and one at 34000 along with a large number of smaller ones, and some look like they could have drive true windows... With the Possibility of Middle, and Higher class homes being built in the Harisville Area within the next year or two...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:17 AM

New residential neighborhood off Shediac Road. Not to far from the Proposed Harisville Shopping strip. I just seen the sign for lots for sale.

Also there are what look to be new real estate signs on the Keddy's Motor inn lot.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a few low-res screen captures from the video feed of the July 20th Moncton City Council meeting regarding the McLaughlin Place project on the SW corner of McLaughlin and Morton.

Site plan for the complete development. The two parcels of land on the lower left corner of the image at the end of the cul-de-sac will be two new multi-unit residential buildings. They will be immediately to the east of the Moncton Stadium, and in behind the commercial portion of the development.

This image shows the entrance into the commercial portion of the development off of Morton Ave. Looking at the street front rendering of the buildings in this development makes me feel better about this project. It looks closer to the original spirit of the McLaughlin Place development than I expected.

Panorama or the development. The main commercial buildings all appear to be two storey which may mean (hopefully) some commercial office space above the main commercial/retail space. Also, you can see one of the two proposed multi-unit residential buildings in the background.

Between the commercial and residential components of this project, this will be a fairly large development........

FWIW, this is the original rendering:

There are more similarities here than there are differences. The big difference is the two fast food outlets on the corner of Morton & McLaughlin (one with a drive-thru)

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Panorama or the development. The main commercial buildings all appear to be two storey which may mean (hopefully) some commercial office space above the main commercial/retail space. Also, you can see one of the two proposed multi-unit residential buildings in the background.

Between the commercial and residential components of this project, this will be a fairly large development........
I'm also pleasantly surprised. It looks very similar to the initial proposal. It also looks like they added quite a bit of additional retail space. I guess that's a good sign, but there are so many retail vacancies in the region right now, I wonder if they have enough tenants lined up. Hopefully they'll get started this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces