HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If Cadillac Fairview now owns the Sears retail space at the mall, you can bet your bottom booty that they are already working on a contingency plan for Sears nearly inevitable exit from the mall. I read a retail bloggers post the other day which stated that Sears is still bleeding money and basically has seven more quarters to get its act together. The holiday 2016 quarter will tell the tale regarding Sears viability.

My prediction still is that the Bay will be taking over the Sears space at the mall once Sears goes belly up. I'm sure CF is already talking to the Bay. I also predict Forever 21 (and possibly some other retailers in an expansion) taking over the Sobeys space if they decamp to Dieppe Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If Cadillac Fairview now owns the Sears retail space at the mall, you can bet your bottom booty that they are already working on a contingency plan for Sears nearly inevitable exit from the mall. I read a retail bloggers post the other day which stated that Sears is still bleeding money and basically has seven more quarters to get its act together. The holiday 2016 quarter will tell the tale regarding Sears viability.

My prediction still is that the Bay will be taking over the Sears space at the mall once Sears goes belly up. I'm sure CF is already talking to the Bay. I also predict Forever 21 (and possibly some other retailers in an expansion) taking over the Sobeys space if they decamp to Dieppe Blvd.
That might be why they had employees on the roof last week... If Sears is leaving, and The Bay would take over they only have half the space...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:45 PM

If Sears is getting ready to abandon Canada, then that would lend more credence to the rumour that Cineplex is talking about taking over the Sears space in Regent mall in Freddy as well. Cineplex's lease runs out IIRC in 2016, but I'm sure extensions could be negotiated if a sweet space was on the verge of becoming available.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 7:27 PM
real estate blogger

47 Rue Champlain, Dieppe

Anyone may view the public information on PID #00669317 at geonb.snb.ca where it indicates the fact there was a sale in January,2015.

Yes one must pay to access the SNB Registry service. The interest of Sears Canada Inc. in the parcel of land at 47 Champlain (PID #00669317) is as a lessee. I suspect it has been thus since 1970 but I have not read the lease. It is noteworthy that Cadillac Fairview acquired this particular parcel of land.

Perhaps there was something in the lease about subletting.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:48 PM

A major expansion is planned for the Dieppe Market.

14,000 square feet of new floor space on 2 storeys with a second storey terrace. It'll take up most of the parking lot facing Acadie Ave (which is great!) That parking lot was an eyesore.

I also heard some rumors of a new hotel and convention space also downtown on the vacant lot at the southwest corner of Champlain and Marché across the street from Royal Bank.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...dieppe/?pgnc=1

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 10:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks great!!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrivernb View Post
There is work going on inside the strip plaza off Dieppe Blvd. where Jean Coutu is ....they have removed the doors on 4 of the units to create a large unit....and have made a ramp in the rear....perhaps the speculation of Dollarama may be true. The lot right next door has been fenced off looks like some construction is planned.
There is now a sign in front of the building indicating that Dollorama is "coming in fall 2015"

Last edited by NBNYer; Jul 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
A major expansion is planned for the Dieppe Market.

14,000 square feet of new floor space on 2 storeys with a second storey terrace. It'll take up most of the parking lot facing Acadie Ave (which is great!) That parking lot was an eyesore.

I also heard some rumors of a new hotel and convention space also downtown on the vacant lot at the southwest corner of Champlain and Marché across the street from Royal Bank.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...dieppe/?pgnc=1
Looks great... As for the empty lot on the Corner either the owner/owners or the news that is making it look that way have been flip flopping since the building that was there was demolished... It was said to be Apartments, then Condos, and then a mixed use building... I'm not sure if anything will ever be built there at this rate...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Looks great... As for the empty lot on the Corner either the owner/owners or the news that is making it look that way have been flip flopping since the building that was there was demolished... It was said to be Apartments, then Condos, and then a mixed use building... I'm not sure if anything will ever be built there at this rate...
I've never heard any of these rumors for the southwest corner of Champlain and Marché. If you're talking about the southeast corner, construction of that office building is slated to start in the next couple of weeks. The last details have been finalized. Source: I know the involved parties.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I've never heard any of these rumors for the southwest corner of Champlain and Marché. If you're talking about the southeast corner, construction of that office building is slated to start in the next couple of weeks. The last details have been finalized. Source: I know the involved parties.
There is a fence installed around the property now...I would imagine shovels will be in the ground next week.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
There is now a sign in front of the building indicating that Dollorama is "coming in fall 2015"
There is construction started right behind this strip mall..(across the street) any ideas?? Also a new sign is up in the last unit opposite Dollarama for a Jacks pizza and Donair opening soon.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 9:03 PM

Quote:
There is construction started right behind this strip mall..(across the street) any ideas?? Also a new sign is up in the last unit opposite Dollarama for a Jacks pizza and Donair opening soon.
If you mean going down Dieppe Blvd on the left side It's the City of Dieppe's operation center. If you mean behind the strip on Aquatique St. I do believe they where doing the construction in phases...

On another note I seen some what seem to be guys measuring, and possibly marking out the new site for IGA(Sobeys) on the corner of Dieppe Blvd, and Yvonne While walking in that area today.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:18 AM

Quote:
There is a Jacks Pizza & Donair in Charlottetown that is quite popular, I wonder if it is the same guy?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There is a Jacks Pizza & Donair in Charlottetown that is quite popular, I wonder if it is the same guy?
Hope he can speak French.....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:38 PM

Could we leave those types of comments to cbc.ca... I was at Champlain Place this week for the first time in ages, and I was greeted and served exclusively in English in the 4 stores I visited, and the vast majority of surrounding conversations were in English as well. An English-only business will do better in Dieppe than any French-only business would ever do in Riverview or Hildegarde. Heaven forbid a group of people defend their right to speak a constitutionally-official language.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was making a joke (hence the smiley face ), but seriously Dieppe Blvd is far removed from Champlain Place. A unilingual anglophone business might be able to get a pass at Champlain Place since it is the regional fashion mall for NB/PEI. Jacks Pizza & Donair however will be a small business in a neighbourhood of Dieppe that I wager must be at least 80% francophone. If the owner of the business is from PEI (like Josh thinks), he might not be aware of the linguistic sensibilities of trying to operate an anglophone business in such an environment. If he can't speak French, or if he doesn't hire a staff capable of speaking the language, you can rest assured that complaints will be made and that he will be victimized (remember when Starbuck's opened their store on Main Street). He should be prepared.

Again, downtown Moncton and the Champlain Place area should be safe zones for all business owners, but if you intend to operate a unilingual anglophone business in the rest of Dieppe or if you aspire to operate a unilingual French business in Riverview, then good luck to you. It's just the linguistic reality of (greater) Moncton.....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was making a joke (hence the smiley face ), but seriously Dieppe Blvd is far removed from Champlain Place. A unilingual anglophone business might be able to get a pass at Champlain Place since it is the regional fashion mall for NB/PEI. Jacks Pizza & Donair however will be a small business in a neighbourhood of Dieppe that I wager must be at least 80% francophone. If the owner of the business is from PEI (like Josh thinks), he might not be aware of the linguistic sensibilities of trying to operate an anglophone business in such an environment. If he can't speak French, or if he doesn't hire a staff capable of speaking the language, you can rest assured that complaints will be made and that he will be victimized (remember when Starbuck's opened their store on Main Street). He should be prepared.

Again, downtown Moncton and the Champlain Place area should be safe zones for all business owners, but if you intend to operate a unilingual anglophone business in the rest of Dieppe or if you aspire to operate a unilingual French business in Riverview, then good luck to you. It's just the linguistic reality of (greater) Moncton.....
I tend to agree with you there, and it's not just the further you go up into Dieppe either... Students from Mathieu-Martin Complained in the late 90's early 2000's about a businesses manager who was Uni lingual English only, and actually refused to put any french speaking staff up front during the rushes... Not too long after that I seen her working as a cleaner Being an english only business in Dieppe could be the death of your business ever functioning in greater Moncton...

Not in any way saying that it will be an english only business but if it is watch out because I walk in that area all the homes within walking distance are predominately french speaking homes, and rather be served in there language. As you said MonctonRad hope the owner speaks french or hires people who do... Most of the businesses in that area I've been served in french specially if I'm with friends or family who are french if it's just myself I can get by in both official languages.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM

I get it. Tone can be hard to pick up in written word, and I might be a tad sensitive due to a recent conversation beyond these boards. Just trying to make sure we're not denigrating anyone.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:12 AM

Just and FYI, there is a Jack's pizza in Shediac too.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:34 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

My understanding is that it's the same Jack's pizza and donair owner from Fredericton. Very popular there and a lot of people make the trip down for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces