HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:19 PM

Magic Mountain posted this picture on twitter.

here's the tweet
https://twitter.com/MagicMountainNB/...98523870220288

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

MONCTON – The Magnetic Hill Zoo is happy to announce the opening of their brand new Big Cats Exhibit on Saturday, June 27, 2015. This is the biggest project the Zoo has ever undertaken which will include two species of cats that are the most endangered in the world.

"We are extremely proud of our team, the countless supporters and volunteers for bringing this state of the art exhibit to fruition for the Cats and the public to enjoy for years to come," says Bruce Dougan, Manager of the Magnetic Hill Zoo. "It's amazing that we have two of the most endangered cats in the world right here in Moncton to call their home."

The public is invited to come see the two tigers, Alik and Anya and meet the leopard, Katushka for the first time. There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10 a.m., bouncy castles and the first 400 kids 12 and under will receive a free stuffed tiger!

Come see the Big Cats and help welcome them into their new habitat.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

more info:

Magnetic Hill Zoo unveils new $1.4M Big Cat exhibit
New exhibit is biggest project ever undertaken by the Moncton zoo

CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2015 11:39 AM AT
Last Updated: Jun 26, 2015 11:39 AM AT

The highlight is the Amur Tiger exhibit, which resembles their habitat in eastern Siberia. The exhibit also gives guests a glimpse of what it is like in Russia.

Nelson says there are two entrances to the exhibit, one of which resembles an abandoned Russian train station.

"[It's] as if you were at the end of the Trans-Siberian line and there's a, 'Warning: wild tigers,' sign that greets you," he said.

The new exhibit is many times the size of the zoo's previous tiger display.

In another part of the exhibit, Nelson said visitors can sit in the cab of a logging truck, where they are separated from the cats only by the glass of the windshield.

"The tigers are drawn to it and you are inches away from these animals," he said.

Nelson said he's particularly proud of the new feeding option for the tigers.

"As an enrichment feature built into this exhibit we have a zipline. It's not for people — we don't send children across," he said.

"The zipline is specially designed to feed the animals and encourages them to chase and run and jump — it's really cool... we're going to test it out on the weekend... a big hunk of meat hanging from the zipline."

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ibit-1.3128864

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 11:59 PM

At Magic Mountain, the Treehouse Playpark appears to be done and the Carousel appear to be in the completion stage.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:22 PM

Just noticed they have staked out what looks to be a new bus lane on Plaza Bvld. They must like the new location.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Just noticed they have staked out what looks to be a new bus lane on Plaza Bvld. They must like the new location.
Do you mean an extra (3rd) westbound lane? The right westbound lane has been a dedicated bus lane for a couple years now.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Do you mean an extra (3rd) westbound lane? The right westbound lane has been a dedicated bus lane for a couple years now.
Yes it looks like they are going to create a lane where the bus shelters currently are and push the shelters over closer to Walmart.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 11:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yes it looks like they are going to create a lane where the bus shelters currently are and push the shelters over closer to Walmart.
I'm not entirely sure about that. I saw the stakes in the ground. They might be building a parking pull-out for the busses, or it could just be an expanded waiting area with shelters for the passengers. It's too soon to tell, but at the very least, it's obvious that they plan on keeping the NW terminal on Plaza Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm not entirely sure about that. I saw the stakes in the ground. They might be building a parking pull-out for the busses, or it could just be an expanded waiting area with shelters for the passengers. It's too soon to tell, but at the very least, it's obvious that they plan on keeping the NW terminal on Plaza Blvd.
That's what I mean, a parking pull out.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A new residential cul-de-sac is planned for off Oak Ridge Drive in behind Glad Tidings Church:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Gauvin Jewellers has opened in the Lounsbury's Plaza on Mountain Road.
http://www.gauvingoldsmithing.ca

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 11:09 AM

Anyone know what is going on on the Lot Behind the Mountain Road Petro Canada... Went by there, and seen some movement...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 9:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I went to the zoo yesterday to check out the new $1.4M Asian big cats display (Amur tigers and leopards).

I couldn't believe the line-up to get into the zoo when we arrived.

As you can see, the line-up stretched nearly all the way across the parking lot and we had to wait in line for 45 minute before getting to the ticket booth! I've never seen a line-up at the zoo before in my life. There's been a lot of publicity about the new exhibit, but it's been open now for at least a month, so I would have thought the excitement would have settled down by now but I guess not.

This is the main entrance into the Asian big cats exhibit. It is themed and they make it seem like you've just gotten off the train on the trans-Siberian railroad.

This is the simulated Russian/Chinese border crossing.

One of the display boards - very informational.

Amur leopard taking a snooze in a concrete tree. There are only 40 Amur leopards left in the wild.

Up close and personal with the Amur tigers. Their numbers are rebounding. There are now about 500 Amur tigers in the wild.

Neat Russian truck, partly in and partly out of the animal enclosure. Kids can get into the drivers seat which pokes into the cage and allows them a really great look at the animals.

At the end of the exhibit, there is a display dedicated to the memory of the original Magnetic Hill Zoo tiger - Tomar, who died several years ago. Fittingly, the display is sponsored by Royale "Tiger" tissues, made right here in Moncton.

All in all, this strikes me as a case of money very well spent. The exhibit was expensive to build, but it's popularity is undeniable. It is rapidly becoming iconic for the zoo and has set the bar very high for additional expansions and upgrades to the zoo in the future. This is a good thing!!

The Magnetic Hill Zoo is the number two attraction in the province (behind the Hopewell Rocks), and might become the number one attraction this year. The zoo (along with Magic Mountain - also undergoing an expansion with the old Crystal Palace rides) in many ways defines family tourism in Moncton. It is a gem that we should all cherish and support.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:09 AM
Our Tide is Rising

^ excellent post MonctonRad

Very happy to see the zoo not only surviving in these tough times for NB but actually growing and thriving! There is no mistaking south-east NB as a tourism powerhouse in the Maritimes

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I have heard from a reliable source that there is indeed plans for at least one of the Magnetic Hill Wharf Village Shoppes to be reconstructed into a relatively large budget Haunted House with an estimated opening date of summer 2015.
If I'm not mistaken, here's possible confirmation of this project.
http://www.zombiemanor.com/

My little tweetie bird also confirms opening day in a few of months as well. Large budget from large players in Moncton! My source couldn't confirm the actual location, however it is in the Magnetic Hill area.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:28 AM

I have a family member who runs the Fudge shop at the wharf and she actually was telling me a few months ago about this said the people who are starting this are big spenders and plan on going all out!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 11:21 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
If I'm not mistaken, here's possible confirmation of this project.
http://www.zombiemanor.com/

My little tweetie bird also confirms opening day in a few of months as well. Large budget from large players in Moncton! My source couldn't confirm the actual location, however it is in the Magnetic Hill area.

Actually to add onto this, I believe that the location has been moved and is to be part of The Boardwalk with an opening date before Halloween 2015.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 11:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, between Zombie Manor and Boo at the Zoo, the Magnetic Hill area will be the Hallowe'en capital of Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:03 PM

Zombie Manor

Looks like it's an american company based in Arlington, Tx. Their Facebook page actually links to the page Budyser posted. Weird that their official web page only mentions Moncton, and not any other locations....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctnguy View Post
Looks like it's an american company based in Arlington, Tx. Their Facebook page actually links to the page Budyser posted. Weird that their official web page only mentions Moncton, and not any other locations....
It does seem a bit odd. I assume this will be a seasonal attraction open only around Halloween or could it be a permanent installation? There are a lot of these seasonal ''haunted houses'' that pop up around Halloween in the US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces