HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 10:57 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

My dream is to dig a trench from say 290E to Ben White. Bottom of the trench is northbound. Cap it then have southbound on the next level. Cap that and have surface blvd/frontage/rail.

If the frontage lanes could be built atop the highway lanes, that widens the possible footprint. We could probably get 7 lanes each direction even in the narrowest spots. Each level would have to have shoulders and a safety lane. Would also need exit/entrance ramps. I'll leave that to the engineers.

If we really wanted to go all out, you could have subway inside the trench as well, on either side of the roadways.

Anybody have a trillion dollars?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:01 PM

I like it. Where can I sign for my support? haha

That said, I've seen something kind of like that in Shanghai in the Bund area. It's pretty cool what can be accomplished on the surface while still moving massive amounts of vehicles underground - in addition to Shanghai's stellar subway system, of course.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 2:18 AM

Last night, (well really, around 2:30 this morning), the planning commission approved a conditional use permit to allow Megabus to operate out of the old service station at 1500 San Jacinto. They'll be using the former service station as an air conditioned waiting area with bathrooms. The hours will also be longer, 6AM-midnight, compared to the current site on Whitis, which stopped service around 6PM. However they won't be able to operate between 4 and 6pm on weekdays.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin