HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Yeah I think you're right. I made them too short. :-/
And the One 57 isn't visible.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 7:09 AM

The future Brooklyn one should be interesting. I know we are all fixated on the supertalls being built, so most of the time it seems the fact that Brooklyn will likely have several new tallests(3 total, 2 still proposals, 1 U/C) over the next several years gets very little notice. Several others besides those that are up near the high end of what is there right now too.

Not to mention the whole slew of proposals on the waterfront between Brooklyn and LIC.

edit. Actually there are 4 buildings, 3 proposals, 1 U/C, that are taller than anything currently built. However, The Hub will never be the tallest if 388 Bridge currently U/C finishes on time at the height that it is supposed to.

Last edited by Fardeb; Jan 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
And the One 57 isn't visible.
It is, it is just hard to see because of the colors in the render.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
The future Brooklyn one should be interesting. I know we are all fixated on the supertalls being built, so most of the time it seems the fact that Brooklyn will likely have several new tallests(3 total, 2 still proposals, 1 U/C) over the next several years gets very little notice. Several others besides those that are up near the high end of what is there right now too.

Not to mention the whole slew of proposals on the waterfront between Brooklyn and LIC.

edit. Actually there are 4 buildings, 3 proposals, 1 U/C, that are taller than anything currently built. However, The Hub will never be the tallest if 388 Bridge currently U/C finishes on time at the height that it is supposed to.
I know! All that waterfront development in Brooklyn looks awesome. How cool would it be to have a wall of high rises on both sides of the East River?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 PM

some nice renderings

Girasole

Manhattan West

1 Vanderbilt

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 10:16 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I pulled together another montage. I'm sure I missed some projects, but I tried to be as comprehensive as possible. I also used a little creative freedom on projects such as 225 West 57th Street and the Grand Central Tower. I should mention I'm working on another one for Brooklyn - coming soon!

Has anyone run the math on what size of private capital construction investment total we are looking at here between now and 2020?

200 Billion US Dollars?
300 Billion US Dollars?

Any ideas???

Also.... there's a lot happening in Downtown Brooklyn (too far in the distance to show up in this rendering above)....... I seem to remember reading something about nearly ten or so 40 to 60 floor residential buildings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
The update on Morali Architects Facebook page says it was approved by DOB and is 998'. https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects
80 South Street is now a supertall!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:10 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Very nice indeed, now if only they could make it 2 feet taller...!
The Hudson Yards Corset Tower may be a potential supertall too, if they add those extra 150 feet...

I'll update the first page.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 2:34 PM
don't *meddle*...

@sbarn: if you have some spare time, I got two recent pics for you...
The first one is ideal for a 2020 rendering...

Anthony Quintano

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 8:55 PM
don't *meddle*...

4 supertalls completed (ESB, BofA, Chrysler, NYTT) , 1 topped out (One57), 3 under construction (1WTC, 432 PA, 3WTC) and 1 on hold (2WTC):

By noamgalai, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:57 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 1:22 PM
don't *meddle*...

15 Penn Plaza has been canceled...

But to be honest, I never believed in the project anyway.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...211087498.html

Quote:
Also Monday, Vornado Chairman Steven Roth told investors at a Citigroup Inc. C +1.51% conference that the company was abandoning its longtime plan to replace the Hotel Pennsylvania in Manhattan with an office tower. The company, rather, has finalized its plan to invest in an upgrade of the downtrodden hotel across from Madison Square Garden. The move is likely to involve bringing in a new operator and partner.

"We're not going to tear down the hotel," Mr. Roth said. "In fact, we're going to invest in it aggressively and try to make it into a really profitable, really good hotel for our purposes."

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
15 Penn Plaza has been canceled...

But to be honest, I never believed in the project anyway.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...211087498.html
It isn't permanently cancelled. Vornado decided to renovate the hotel, because they haven't found an anchor tenant for the tower.

But the project is alive in the long term. They still have the air rights and the transit easement. But if they're renovating, it will probably be many years, until the next cycle, until they develop this site.

Or maybe they want to keep the hotel and put the tower on the Manhattan Mall site? Who knows; we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Or maybe they want to keep the hotel and put the tower on the Manhattan Mall site? Who knows; we'll have to wait and see.
With the way things are going between Vornado and JCPenny, the Manhttan Mall's days may be numbered. A large chunk of the air rights for 15 Penn cam from the mall, and another large chunk came from planned improvements to subway connections, including reopening the pedestrian passageway between Penn and the Herald Square connections, which include the PATH train. All of that could be lost if Vornado chooses to do nothing. But I think there is more at play here. Remember, Vornado was supposed to get a chunk of air rights from Farley do develop the Penn East and West sites. Maybe they can use the transit improvements to bulk up those sites. We never knew what plan B was, so we'll see. Air rights are the hottest things going in Manhattan right now, so I'm sure they won't be wasted unless Vornado wants to hang on to the 15 Penn Plaza plans for the long term.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
With the way things are going between Vornado and JCPenny, the Manhttan Mall's days may be numbered. A large chunk of the air rights for 15 Penn cam from the mall, and another large chunk came from planned improvements to subway connections, including reopening the pedestrian passageway between Penn and the Herald Square connections, which include the PATH train. All of that could be lost if Vornado chooses to do nothing. But I think there is more at play here.
Vornado has spent huge sums on assembling air rights for the 15 Penn Project, so if they renovate the hotel it's either A. a temporary stopgap until the office market improves or B. a permanent change, and they're putting the air rights somewhere else.

They also own the entire block to the north, and really most of the office buildings in the general Penn Plaza area. I don't know what this means, but we'll probably hear more soon. In any case, those air rights are going somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 5:54 PM

Never really liked 15 penn anyway nothing outstanding about the design.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa3f8...0b3cbfa61.html

Hotel Pennsylvania to be renovated, not razed

March 7, 2013

Quote:
Although City Council approval of zoning changes for a tower to replace the 1,700-room hotel remains valid, the weak economy has led Vornado to switch gears.

"It's an interesting option to have, but it's not possible today," Roth said at an investor conference earlier this week. "We're not going to tear down the hotel. In fact, we're going to invest in it aggressively and try to make it into a really profitable, really good hotel."

Vornado declined to provide additional information about its plans for the building.

Roth, who will assume the additional role of CEO at Vornado on April 15, said the company is close to finding a partner and principal developer to help restore some of the hotel's former grandeur. The hotel is across from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station.

Vornado was near a deal in 2007 to build a tower to house new trading floors for Merrill Lynch, but the brokerage's board backed away from the plan days before it was expected to finalize the deal. Less than a year later, Merrill was on the verge of collapse when it was bought by Bank of America, as the economic crisis neared its peak. Vornado went ahead with designs for the building and received City Council approval for needed zoning changes in 2010.

Roth said at the Monday conference that the company now aims to develop the hotel as part of its strategy to drive up the value of the surrounding properties. "We're trying to make it an amenity to the area, where we have billions of dollars of assets surrounding it," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 2:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Some new renderings of 432 Park Avenue...

http://www.432park.com/?state=home

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 3:01 PM

^ the start of something amazing

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 8:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.onehudsonyards.com/gallery.html#

One Hudson Yards is now 877 feet tall. One less potential supertall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture