HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:34 PM

1911 (120 East Fourth Street ?)

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../12222/rec/659

Electric radiators and a good size Buick heat exchanger.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:56 PM

According to the Pacific Coast Architecture Database, 120 East 4th Street is the 1903 County of Los Angeles Distributing Station #12 designed by John Parkinson.

Some of the windows have been boarded over, but otherwise it looks intact. The delivery truck would've been parked in roughly the same spot as the gray Lexus.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

laTimes

The rock archway is still there along the Sierra Highway near Newhall.

www.elsmerecanyon.com

svchistory

This view is actually a nursery across from the rock gate. Some believe this old pair of 'monuments' (for alack of a better word) are from the old 'rock zoo'.

www.elsmerecanyon.com

My question is what happened to all the shaped rocks? Are they still on site?
__
The SCVhistory site makes no mention of the rock figures. There are some photos of the grounds, as well as the original ranch house, but no figures in sight. I suspect they're long gone. I don't drive this portion of Sierra Hwy very often, but when I do, I'll make it a point to stop by and have a look.

I do, however, question the accuracy of the LA Times article, as here's an exerpt from the scvhistory site regarding Live Oak Manor:

"Prohibitionist Henry Clay Needham bought large portions of the Rancho San Francisco, surrounding the little town of Newhall, in 1889, for the purpose of establishing a "dry colony." The idea didn't sell, but Needham became an important community leader and philanthropist in addition to being a prominent orator on the national stage, even seeking the Prohibition Party's nomination for U.S. President in 1932. He died in 1935, and in 1957 his heirs sold about 770 acres of the property........"

No mention of the figurines.

Andys

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 PM

The picture below is part of a large photoset (20+ images), some of which we've seen before. I'm not sure what connects the subjects; the title of the set is "Pacific Finance building, Southern California, 1926".

USC Digital Library

Here's 553 Cedar Avenue, Long Beach today. Unusually, this building has lost the trees which could've blocked our view. It's also lost its faux shutters, apartment doors that open a foot above street level and the geometric first floor windows (which first caught my eye). Security bars now cover the revised first floor openings. At least the tiling around the door survives.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:32 PM

-interesting before and after HossC.

I came across this nice looking slide yesterday.

ebay

I thought it might be fun to try and figure out where this was taken. (also..what is that silver pole next to the bus stop sign?)
__

Oh, and thanks for the additional information on the Live Oak Manor Andys. -much appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 PM

Here's an early view of the Second Church of Christ Scientist.

found this afternoon on ebay

-note the house at far right.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 29, 2014 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 11:49 PM

Thank you ethereal_reality

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6671640]Earlier tonight I received a message from a very important member that said they were quitting the thread because it has become 'inane'.
(in fact, it's the second message I received this week...they also said they were quitting the thread)

I am at a loss.....a complete loss.
What do I say to these people who mean so much to me?

__

Admittedly I am new to the forum and haven't offered very much in the few months I've been here, but I have found in its pages a wonderful panorama of Los Angeles history and culture. It's certainly disappointing when key participants find fault or somehow perceive a lack of value. No forum is perfect. I don't believe Noirish was created to be the bastion of academic scholarship. But in its way, it has generated curiosity and launched further investigation into the city many call home. On top of everything, Noirish has been wonderful in its ability to maintain civility and goodwill.

For my part, I think that Noirish LA has proven itself as a fantastic resource. As a person who has spent more than one-half of his life in this city, Noirish LA has given me a greater love for this city, as well as a profound respect for those who have contributed so much to this forum. Despite what some may think, the tone and prevailing atmosphere of this thread has kept me coming back.

My best to you, E_R and to the rest of the Noirish family. jtown

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
-interesting before and after HossC.

I came across this nice looking slide yesterday.

ebay

I thought it might be fun to try and figure out where this was taken. (also..what is that silver pole next to the bus stop sign?)
__

Oh, and thanks for the additional information on the Live Oak Manor Andys. -much appreciated.
Could this be on Hyperion, over in Silver Lake, across the street from the present day Lyric Cafe?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 AM

Hi Oleander5-5225

Across from the Lyric Cafe we have Lyric Avenue continuing up the hillside..yet the vintage slide shows a T-intersection.
Maybe I was looking at google-maps wrong.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 29, 2014 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 1:55 AM

Here's another mini-mystery to keep you kindly sleuths busy.

So what reservoir is this? Was the seller correct in saying this was in the Los Angeles area?
The 'castle-like' retaining wall (for lack of a better word) is pretty cool.
__

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:14 AM

No! The image looks to be cut off in the black and white photo.

Only difference to the north side (facade) is a different front door, an added door west of the front door, new stucco, 2 replaced glass bricks, and some replacement window panes. The historic integrity remains.

We'll post some more photos but in the meantime you can see more at https://www.facebook.com/savetheSMBstreamlinemoderne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
In observing these two photos again, is it the angle of the photo, or was part of the right side of the building removed? I see a door was added, but it seems to me the side of the building is shorter in the current GSV image.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
No, I did not go to that Vet Dr. Just speaking in general terms.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:39 AM

Moved twice! Always remarkable the buildings which inspire so much love and willingness to save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
No, I did not go to that Vet Dr. Just speaking in general terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Last week I attended a presentation at the San Fernando Valley Historical Society and one of the photos presented was this one, which I thought worth sharing here.

This pre-1900 farmhouse originally stood on the southeast corner of Hollywood and Vine. When the Taft building was built in 1923, this house was moved to the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Canyon Drive, an intersection that no longer exists - it's now a 101 off-ramp. A subsequent second move took it to its current location, at 16745 San Fernando Mission Blvd in Granada Hills.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
How long does ice cream keep?

1925 - 1001 North Mansfield, Hollywood

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/3873/rec/693

Several pages ago, another member (forgive me for not remembering your name) wondered about the people in some of the pictures here--what their lives were like and what became of them. I think this post is a great example, especially the picture of the men in front of the building. So many different expressions and characters, yet all seem to exude a certain...dignity unique to men who work with their hands. Kind of makes you wonder where they went after the picture was taken...home...a nearby tavern...some of the other places pictured on the blog?....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:55 AM

Caddy at the Dam

Quote:

So what reservoir is this? Was the seller correct in saying this was in the Los Angeles area?
__
ER, that is Gibraltar Dam at the former Sheffield Reservoir in Santa Barbara County, CA. See: http://www.lotsafunmaps.com/Santa_Ba...voir_Walk.html

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:11 PM

I know we've seen Hattem's Market on South Vermont several times before, but I came across this great panorama while I was looking for pictures of Beck's Café/Place at 8021 S Vermont (as mentioned by oldstuff). Herb's Café is part of the Hattem's development, but there's no sign of Beck's to the right. Incidentally, according to the 1938 CD, restaurateur Ralph Beck and his wife Evelyn lived at 928 W 80th Street - only a couple of hundred yards from their restaurant on S Vermont.

USC Digital Library

I managed to get almost the same camera position in Google Street View, so here's my recreation of the panorama.

GSV

Previous Hattem's Market posts:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2948

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3521

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18510

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 3:37 PM

Quote:

__
Can't help with the location identification, but the photo has the Cadillac incorrectly identified. It is correctly identified as a '58 year model, but it is a DeVille Convertible not an Eldorado. Easy for someone to confuse as the tail fins were more or less borrowed from the '56 Eldorado.

This is a '58 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (convertible), an extremely rare car even in 1958, even more rare today. This one is available at $299,900

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal.../133055/179518

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:23 PM

Outstanding job with the panoramas, HossC. Are you using a specific graphics program?

1935 - Crown Transfer and Storage. (45 South Broadway, Pasadena)

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/2852/rec/546

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:50 PM

Here's another building I found while searching USC for pictures of South Vermont. The address in the description seems to belong to the photographer: "Photo by Coy Watson Photos / A credit line is appreciated / 118 South Vermont Avenue / Los Angeles 4, Calif. / DRexel 2751". The Mayan Hotel (or Hotel Mayan) was at 3049 W 8th Street.

USC Digital Library

The building is now the Mayan Apartments. I was going to post a GSV image, but then I found this better one on loopnet.com. Their description says:

"The Mayan Apartments is a 5-story brick building built in 1926. The building is located west of Vermont Avenue on the northwest corner of 8th Street and New Hampshire Avenue in an extremely strong rental market. The unit mix consists of 129 bachelors, 6 one bedroom/one bath, 1 two-bedroom/one bath, and 1 three-bedroom/two bath unit. Additionally there are 6 commercial storefront units. All apartment units are master metered."

www.loopnet.com

The main structure of the blade sign is still present on the front, and one word of the roof sign also survives.

GSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Outstanding job with the panoramas, HossC. Are you using a specific graphics program?
Thanks. I did the GSV panorama using Photomerge on an old version of PhotoShop.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:52 PM

Steam shovel nymphs?

How 'bout ARCO nymphs, or would it be RKO nymphs?

1929 - Somewhere on RKO lot. (Pre Code.)

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/3963/rec/625

Nymphs not ready to broadcast "S.O.S." ?

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/3962/rec/619

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos