HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #55241  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 6:37 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Didn't either of you partake of the superb (or fine) food in the Grape Vine?


In my post above I wrote about the matchbook...




...when the photo of the place clearly says "restaurant."
Martin that is amusing. I had not thought of that day since then. I really thought that I would not make it through that dark dungeon. I think the only light visible was the cash register and maybe the red exit sign. Food in that place...you're kidding? I didn't even want a bottled soda, let alone actual food. The bus station and the bar were totally separate. Remember, this is Hollywood, and not everything is as it may appear. When I was in college, I lived in Hollywood, my Los Angeles born mother was horrified. She knew too much. One rainy 1944 wartime night she was waiting for a bus....lo and behold, guess who gave her a ride .... radio producer Ozzie Nelson.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 15, 2020 at 7:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55242  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 7:35 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Didn't either of you partake of the superb (or fine) food in the Grape Vine?
At that time I think I was too young to enter a bar!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55243  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 11:01 PM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post



Then it was the Frascatti Inn in the Frascati mini-chain as of 1954.
1956 LAT.

Interior as Frascatti Inn:
ebay.






S. McQ across from 9501 Wilshire


https://i.pinimg.com/originals/79/e7...a905a91a78.jpg






https://i.imgur.com/5OY65rv.jpg





https://i.imgur.com/JWhUto5.jpg


https://up.picr.de/34865907ct.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla; Aug 19, 2020 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55244  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:30 AM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
The Grape Vine Room had a backdoor in the alley. One time I entered that bar and walked from the back to the front, because the driveway was clogged with buses and I wanted to get to Vine St. It was very dark inside as sleazy bars usually are. This place was about 3 blocks from where I lived on Santa Monica, Blvd.


Several times at night I took a bus from that station to San Diego - mid 1970s. I was in my 20s at that time.
There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55245  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:40 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,844
.
mystery pin-up....mystery location (although I'm pretty sure the location is Malibu)


Seller's description:..."May 20 Vintage Photo 2.5x.2.5 1956 Sexy Pin-Up California Beach w Dog #4"


eBay

...Nice pooch.

Anyone recognize the restaurant?









Fido does tricks while William Holden a man watches from a balcony.















I'd like to figure out which Malibu beachhouse belongs to this mailbox.



The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $






Here's a wider angle and a bit larger view.




The way it says COTTAGE on the barrel I think the place might be a rental.

All photos are 1956.


Link to the top photograph.

More photographs by this photographer Here.
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 16, 2020 at 5:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55246  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 2:34 PM
Hollywood Graham's Avatar
Hollywood Graham Hollywood Graham is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ojai, Ca.
Posts: 250
Rolls?

The Rolls Royce looks more like a Jaguar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55247  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 2:39 PM
Earl Boebert Earl Boebert is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 545
Etherial Reality sez:

"The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $"

I believe that is a Jaguar. Can't tell if it's a XK120 or 140.

Cheers,

Earl
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55248  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 4:47 PM
MartinTurnbull's Avatar
MartinTurnbull MartinTurnbull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 198
Ben Blue's dinner theater, Wilshire Blvd at 22nd Street, Santa Monica

A friend of mine was watching an old Jack Benny show and took this screenshot to ask if I'd heard of Ben Blue's. I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was. So a quick skidoo in the LACDs revealed this ad.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55249  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:24 PM
AlvaroLegido's Avatar
AlvaroLegido AlvaroLegido is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 271
The Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.
... which is supposed to take place in San Francisco. If I remember well the place where the mob meets is a Bunker Hill building : the Mission Apartments on the corner of 2nd and Olive.
__________________
AlvaroLegido
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55250  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 6:28 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
A friend of mine was watching an old Jack Benny show and took this screenshot to ask if I'd heard of Ben Blue's. I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was. So a quick skidoo in the LACDs revealed this ad.



Is there an actual street address for Ben Blue's?

Wilshire & 22nd in SM has three of it's four corners redeveloped, the eldest being a school (which doesn't seem to fit as a previous nightclub).

IIRC, Madame Wu's was at the same intersection. Did Ben Blue's become Madame Wu's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCET
In January 1968, Madame Wu's Garden moved to an 11,000 square foot, mod-pagoda style restaurant at 2201 Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica. Designed by architect Guy Moore, it seated over 300 people and featured a huge stone waterfall, recessed lighting, Chinese themed murals, and rounded stucco walls.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55251  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 7:59 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,945


The previous page of the CD containing the advert for Ben Blue's has the following listing:

MERRY GO ROUND THE
2210 Wilshire (SM) EX 3-2249
(See our adv-Ben Blue-page 108)

The advert posted by MartinTurnbull is the one on page 108, and the phone numbers match. I had a quick look for a restaurant called "The Merry Go Round", but all I found were carousels on the pier!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55252  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 8:37 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,730
Bus Station ~ Grape Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
There was also an entrance to the Grape Vine from the lobby of the bus station. You can see the interior of the bus station in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing.
I've seen the The Killing several times ....of the Hollywood bus station lobby scene, several times.
If there was a connecting door to the Grape Vine its irrelevant. In fact, I've been inside both locations. It may be, that by my time in the 1970s, the door had been eliminated, as I don't remember any connecting door.

Also, thank you Alvaro Legido for your previous input.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55253  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:25 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,844


This negative was on eBay a few days ago.






Here's a closer look.


eBay

This is the intersection of Wilshire and. .ummm . .runs off to google maps


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55254  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:58 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,844
.
Here's another aerial currently on eBay that shows a stretch of Wilshire.



"WHERE CLIMAX CAME TO SINATRA JR. KIDNAPPING"...........................................


eBay

I find this highly interesting because I've never known the details of the Sinatra Jr. kidnapping.



stamp on reverse.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 17, 2020 at 5:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55255  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:22 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's a closer look.


eBay

This is the intersection of Wilshire and. .ummm . .runs off to google maps


.
_________________________________________________________________

E_R, the intersection is San Vicente Blvd. looking south at Wilshire Blvd.!


You can see the same Van de Kamp's windmill in this c.1925 photo looking west on Wilshire.


BHHS


Or this 1940 photo looking east.




There are currently plans to build this 12 story medical buidling at this intersection. THere's currently a Big 5 Sporting Goods store there. Looking north:

ConnectMedia


Have we ever discussed that Colonial looking brick building you can see here at the bottom right of the photo above, or in the top left of the 1960 dated intersection photo E_R posted?

Currently it seems to just be office space, but I wonder what it might have been built as. The address is 6535 Wilshire Blvd. The side street to the west of it is S. Sweetzer.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Aug 17, 2020 at 6:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55256  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 4:01 AM
Otis Criblecoblis's Avatar
Otis Criblecoblis Otis Criblecoblis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 193
L o l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Etherial Reality sez:

"The Rolls Royce is one of the reasons why I think this is Malibu.....$ $ $"

I believe that is a Jaguar. Can't tell if it's a XK120 or 140.

Cheers,

Earl
I'm a member of the BMW Car Club o' America, and I must tell all y'all that there is a controversy in the current issue of the official publication, Roundel, about the identification of an XK120 vs a 140.

I mean, what are the odds? It must be something in the wind.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Aug 18, 2020 at 4:05 AM. Reason: Putting a finer point on thangs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55257  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 4:04 AM
Mackerm Mackerm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 26
Another location from Kubrick's "The Killing." A little less than five minutes in, the crooked cop walks into a bar to talk to his loan shark:


YouTube. The Killing

The building across the street is the Charlie Chaplin Studios (pre-Kermit)


Google Maps

The bar is now the Crazy Girls Gentleman's club, 1433 N. La Brea.


Google Maps

I worked this out from a production photo in "The Stanley Kubrick Archives" showing the crew on the street with the mountains in the distance. There is a Mobil station in the photo which is still there at La Brea and Sunset.

The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?

Last edited by Mackerm; Aug 18, 2020 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55258  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 10:17 PM
Snix Snix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
The two-story brick structure at 6535 Wilshire Blvd. was called The Sweetzer Building. It was built in 1951 and housed the offices of entertainment attorneys Pacht, Tannenbaum & Ross. Hard to believe they were ready to tear it down when it was only six years old. (below LAT 1.27.57)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
E_R, the intersection is San Vicente Blvd. looking south at Wilshire Blvd.!


You can see the same Van de Kamp's windmill in this c.1925 photo looking west on Wilshire.


BHHS


Or this 1940 photo looking east.




There are currently plans to build this 12 story medical buidling at this intersection. THere's currently a Big 5 Sporting Goods store there. Looking north:

ConnectMedia


Have we ever discussed that Colonial looking brick building you can see here at the bottom right of the photo above, or in the top left of the 1960 dated intersection photo E_R posted?

Currently it seems to just be office space, but I wonder what it might have been built as. The address is 6535 Wilshire Blvd. The side street to the west of it is S. Sweetzer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55259  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 10:55 PM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?


rescarta.lapl.org
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55260  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:53 AM
Wenders Wenders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
Another location from Kubrick's "The Killing." A little less than five minutes in, the crooked cop walks into a bar to talk to his loan shark:


YouTube. The Killing

The building across the street is the Charlie Chaplin Studios (pre-Kermit)


Google Maps

The bar is now the Crazy Girls Gentleman's club, 1433 N. La Brea.




Google Maps

I worked this out from a production photo in "The Stanley Kubrick Archives" showing the crew on the street with the mountains in the distance. There is a Mobil station in the photo which is still there at La Brea and Sunset.

The Stanley Kubrick Archives compact edition, page 103.

I'm mildly curious about the sign to the left of the Mobilgas sign. It looks like it ends with ...bruzzi. Maybe a sports car dealer?
Behind the truck transporting tires should be Tiny Naylor's diner, NW corner of La Brea and Sunset, assuming it was already constructed by the time the picture was taken. Same goes with Carolina Pines, across La Brea from Tiny Naylor's, right where the pine tree is, far right of the picture. Now it's a Burger King. My old Neighborhood (Lanewood Ave).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.