HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
USC's Digital Library has a fairly large collection of Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank photos, mostly from the late 1920s. I've also found a few contemporary shots from other sites, so I'm going to work through the list in the advert below. I've split up the photos so they're not in one monumental post. My aim is to make the most complete list I can, so there may be a few repeats from previous posts.

I didn't find any pictures of the Atwater branch, but the building that's currently at 3224 Glendale Boulevard looks like it could date from that period.

GSV

More to follow ...
What I can tell you is that in 1956, the Atwater branch of Citizens bank was across the street from the one in the photo. It was a distinctly modern building (now occupied by Wells Fargo), so perhaps the original location is the one in your photo, and maybe changed locations or built that new(er) building across the street. In the years I lived in Atwater ('56 - '67), that building was occupied by a hardware store, then later by a drug store.

Andys

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the extra info, Andys.

I'll start part 2 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up with the Hollywood-Bronson branch at 5882 Hollywood Boulevard. It's now a 76 gas station.

USC Digital Library

USC doesn't have an exterior picture of the Hollywood-McCadden branch, so I went to the LAPL for this circa 1928 shot (previously posted Chuckaluck). On the left is Grauman's Egyptian Theatre and the Pig n' Whistle, while the Hotel Christie is just across McCadden Place on the right. All those survive, but the bank building has been replaced with a more modern grocery, gift and souvenir store.

LAPL

USC does have a couple of interior pictures taken around the same time.

Citizens Trust and Savings Bank, Hollywood Boulevard & North McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA, 1928

USC Digital Library

I thought I was out of luck with the Larchmont Boulevard branch. In the end I had to settle for this distant view from a 1955 photo. Although there's a bank on that site today, the original building is long gone.

hollywoodphotographs.com

The Lincoln Heights branch at 2601 North Broadway is obviously not the most interesting thing in this 1927 picture. The caption doesn't fill in many gaps: "A woman named Olga takes a leopard down North Broadway in a wheel barrow. Here she is crossing the intersection of Daly Street as a policeman looks on." Again, there is bank on the site, but it's a much newer building.

LAPL

I can't find any trace of the Main-Vernon branch at 4378 South Main. It's now a Louisiana Fried Chicken joint. No sign of the Maywood branch at 4500 East Slauson either. That site is now a Denny's.

This is the Pico-Bronson branch at 4117 West Pico, seen here in 1927. According to the sign on the front, it was also known as the F.M Teter Building (which the 1927 CD lists as 1272 S Bronson Avenue). Who was F.M Teter? I could only find a couple of contemporary references to Mr and Mrs F.M Teter of Alhambra in copies of 'The Catalina Islander'.

USC Digital Library

The building is still there and survives as a church, although all of its charm has gone.

GSV

The Pico-Figueroa branch at 1301 S Figueroa was part of a larger building. This view today would be looking straight at the entrance of the Convention Center. It's well worth zooming this picture for the details.

USC Digital Library

More to follow ...

Last edited by HossC; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Typo!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:20 PM

Excellent research HossC! Truly impressive.

Boy, this one was quite a treasure.

736 S. Hill/originally posted by HossC

What do you suppose they were storing on top of the marquee?

originally posted by HossC

...and to top it off, I see the Van Nuys Building in the distance.

The before and after of the Pico/Bronson branch is sad.
..so is the 5415 Broadway building, if it's the same building (I believe it is).

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 PM

Part 3 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up begins with the only picture I could find of the Pico-Hoover branch at 2136 W Pico. It's the building on the far right - the word "BANK" is just visible. The site is now a Jack-in-the-Box.

USC Digital Library

The Pico & Swall Drive branch at 8901 W Pico was a single story building with a large roof sign.
Sadly, you'll just find a brick Wells Fargo building there today.

USC Digital Library

This one comes with an interior shot. The large windows down the side make it look very light and airy inside.

USC Digital Library

The Plaza branch was at 539 N Spring. I haven't found any exterior shots, and I'm slightly confused by the address. The 1926 CD lists it as 539 N Main, but the streets in this area were changed around a lot when City Hall was built. I sure there must be a picture somewhere. What I do have is a couple of interior shots.

USC Digital Library

The Santa Barbara-Figueroa branch at 4021 S Figueroa has also proved elusive, but the address would suggest that it was in the southern corner of the Figueroa Theatre. The picture below was originally posted by e_r in post #5290. The bank would have been on the left.

LAPL

The Seventh-Alvarado branch was at 2044 W Seventh, opposite the southern corner of Westlake (MacArthur) Park. The 1927 picture below also shows the Alvarado Theatre. Its marquee advertises the Louise Fazenda movie "The Gay Old Bird" (1927) - "A comedy made for laughing". See more on the Alvarado Theatre and what now occupies the bank site in e_r's post here.

USC Digital Library

There's also a 1928 picture of the "new interior" of the Seventh-Alvarado branch.

USC Digital Library

The Sixth-San Pedro branch at 501 E Sixth was in the corner of the El Rey Hotel.

USC Digital Library

It can also be seen in this postcard, originally posted by tovangar2 (the picture is now missing). I also mentioned the El Rey Hotel in my post about the Hotel Teris.

Elizabeth Fuller on flickr

The building is still there, although it is now the Hope Row Resource Center.

GSV

I came so close with the Third-Kenmore branch at 3704 W Third. I found a 1927 picture of the building that housed it, but there's no sign of the bank which would have been in the fourth unit from the left. As well as the Kenmore Pharmacy and National Market, the picture also shows a tailors shop owned by Isadore Brown, a "Beauty Shoppe", a laundry and a barbers.

USC Digital Library

The bank has gone, but the building survives. The first floor is a bit of a mess, but aside from the modified parapet and filled-in windows, the upper floors look intact. The old bank address is now a tailor.

GSV

More to follow ...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:55 PM

Awesome discoveries HossC....good job!

Musical program for a concert at the Hotel Alexandria, circa 1908.

ebay

To be honest, this column is pretty bad with all that bric-a-brac added above where the column should have already ended.
Do you think the client decided to raise the ceiling height and forgot to tell the architect?

the program

ebay

The Absinthe Frappe? I'd like to hear that one.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:11 AM

And now, part 4 of my Citizens Trust and Savings Bank round-up.

The Vermont-62nd Place branch was at 6226 S Vermont. Looking at Historic Aerials, it seems that this building was already a parking lot by 1972.

USC Digital Library

The photoset for this one also includes a couple of interior shots. I especially like the safe door on the second.

USC Digital Library

Here's the Vernon-Vermont branch at 4371 S Vermont. USC also has a 1925 photoset for this building when it was the Pacific-Southwest Bank. The picture below dates from 1932. Other than the signage, the main difference between the two is that the shops on the right were empty in 1925.

USC Digital Library

Both photosets include interior pictures. To match the exterior shot, I went with the one from 1932. When Citizens National took over, it looks like they lightened the interior slightly and rotated the floor tiles by 45 degrees.

This building is another survivor. I hope the original first floor is just hidden behind that paint and signage.

GSV

The Washington-Arlington branch at 2501 W Washington is another two-story building.

USC Digital Library

To me, the interior looks a bit cramped. Maybe that's why they've avoided using so much dark wood.

USC Digital Library

The building is still there and virtually intact. I find it strangely amusing that it now has bars on the windows even though it didn't when it was a bank.

Bing StreetSide

I didn't find any pictures of the Western 54th branch, but here's the building that stands there today - could it be the old bank?

GSV

I couldn't find any pictures of the Western-Second branch either, and today it's just an entrance. There are some nice ghost signs next door, and the corner building could date from around the time of the bank.

GSV

The Western-Virginia branch brings us back to the two-story buildings with roof signs. The bank at 1151 N Western is pictured here in 1927.

USC Digital Library

The building is now just two blocks south of the Hollywood Freeway. It's lost the tiled roof and roof sign, and the brickwork has been covered, but many other details like the repeating Greek border at the top still remain.

GSV

I'll conclude the 1929 list with the Wilmington branch at 200 E Anaheim. This one had two roof signs and some ornate details.

USC Digital Library

This set comes with a couple of interior shots.

Both from USC Digital Library

This has to be one of the best preserved survivors. The roof level detail has been redone to replicate the middle detail, but otherwise it looks intact.

GSV

I have one more Citizens Trust & Savings Bank post planned to wrap up a couple of branches not it the 1929 advert.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The Absinthe Frappe? I'd like to hear that one.
There's a 1911 version that's part of a recording of 'Gems from It happened in Nordland' that you can listen to on the Library of Congress website:

Gems from It happened in Nordland

It comes with the following disclaimer .

WARNING: These historical recordings may contain offensive or inappropriate language.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

...and the Rosslyn Hotel had Rinaldi, Billie and Sammy.

ebay

ebay
__

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:42 AM

Here are the last few Citizens Trust & Savings Bank branches that I found.

This is the branch in Westwood Village, seen here in 1931. Most of the buildings in the full panorama shot are still there, but this one has gone

Detail from panoramic picture at Huntington Digital Library

A close-up of the entrance.

LAPL

The Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank in Leimert Park opened on March 29, 1930.

Detail from panoramic picture at Huntington Digital Library

The panoramic shot has some great details such as the public address system truck and band waiting to play. Sadly, virtually none of the buildings (like the Mesa Vernon Market, gas stations and diner) are still standing. The detail below shows the banner over Crenshaw Boulevard which promises movie stars and Vaudeville acts.

USC even has an architect's sketch of this building.

USC Digital Library

I didn't find any pictures of the movie stars and Vaudeville acts, but here are the lights promised by the banner. I think the large arrow on the right is part of the opening display.

USC Digital Library

This lovely building used to stand on the corner of West Washington and West View Streets. It has since been replaced by a building called Westside Manor. I think the house on the left may be a survivor.

USC Digital Library

The interior had a high ceiling with interesting light fixtures.

I'll finish up with the branch on Wilshire.

USC Digital Library

In case you didn't recognize its neighbor, the bank was right next to Coulter's Department Store.

USC Digital Library

The Bonner & Campbell Insurance Company was still in the building when the picture below was taken, but the tiled roof and the bank's roof sign had gone. The site is now occupied by the California Federal Building as seen in e_r's posts here and here.

www.plummersearch.com

Did I miss any?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:47 AM

HossC, I'm pretty amazed you located the recording of the Absinthe Frappe so fast.
I wasn't expecting that at all. Thanks buddy.
__

I love that this building has survived, 200 E. Anaheim (Wilmington Branch).

originally posted by HossC

It's sleek and beautiful.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
This is an amazing house GW. I hope someone recognizes it (Tetsu maybe?) so we can dig up more photographs of it.
(and learn it's history)
__
I feel like I almost do! Unfortunately nothing for certain comes to mind.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:49 AM
BANNED

Teenage memories of downtown LA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
USC's Digital Library has a fairly large collection of Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank photos, mostly from the late 1920s. I've also found a few contemporary shots from other sites, so I'm going to work through the list in the advert below. I've split up the photos so they're not in one monumental post. My aim is to make the most complete list I can, so there may be a few repeats from previous posts.

This is their full-page advert from the 1929 City Directory.

GSV

More to follow ...

Thanks Hoss for posting. That's the old Chester Williams building at the left [photo above] with the rounded corner. My step-father had his office on the top floor in the 1935-1950s era. I recall we used to stop in the bank building on the right and he would do some quick banking business before we had lunch. The lady clerks all knew him by name. He used to keep tabs on his checking account by making pencil notes on the back of envelopes. This was back in the day when a $300 deposit was a lot more money than it is today.

On another note, in those days the entire downtown reeked of cigar smoke. Ugh! When one of his clients left a dead cigar in his office he would throw it out the 12th story window after they left.

Here he is working on legal papers in Chester Williams Building in 1943. He later moved upstairs to a larger office. I believe the office rent was $49 a month in those days and his secretary was paid around $40 a week.
Personal collection

This was a small, dark and very adult restaurant in the the Chester Williams Building. My mother and sister were taken there but never us boys.

Personal CD

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 10, 2014 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:04 AM

My favorite pic of my Uncle Bert and his siblings. That's Clelia, Dino, Mario, Emma ( my grandma ), Bert, and Ettore. Bert died in 1957 so I don't remember his visits to us here in Las Vegas, but my Dad says he always gave by brother, sister and I a silver dollar. He was the Host of the Coast and a LA original.

Last edited by Ninja55; Apr 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:19 AM

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:39 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Wild Bert Rovere with British comedienne Gracie Fields

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Musical program for a concert at the Hotel Alexandria, circa 1908.

ebay

To be honest, this column is pretty bad with all that bric-a-brac added above where the column should have already ended.
Do you think the client decided to raise the ceiling height and forgot to tell the architect?

__
You might have a point about the ceiling height, er. There was a balcony/mezzanine on three sides above the lobby, and the ceiling would have been too low without
extending the columns. Maybe John Parkinson screwed up?:

Los Angeles To-day (Neuner Company, 1910) @ HathiTrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=12

The area at the far end of the lobby is different from the above photo:

Los Angeles California, The City and County (Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, 1913) @ HathiTrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=20

Later lobby:

LAPL -- http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics49/00059356.jpg

I guess this looks in the opposite direction than the previous three photos:

Staley's Views, Los Angeles 1914-1915 @ HathiTrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=15

Southern California: The Hotels and Resorts That Have Made its Fame (Norman Pierce Co., 1906) @ HathiTrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=20 and http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=21

Here's a larger version of a photo of the Alexandria's Grill Room aka Mission Indian Grill (designed by Joseph F. Sturdy, not Parkinson) . . .

Art Institute of Chicago -- http://digital-libraries.saic.edu/cd...d/12282/rec/68

. . . which we saw on a menu in this post by 3940dxer: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5864

The dining room (undated):

LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/spnb01/00007082.jpg

Undated view of Gentlemen's Grill (er previously posted a postcard of this scene):

LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/spnb01/00007080.jpg

1906:

CA State Library -- http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...2CBG91J4NR.jpg

1911:

Los Angeles, The Old and the New (J. E. Scott, 1911) @ HathiTrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=37

Were three stories added to the Alexandria that were later removed, or is the photo above not an actual photo? Anyway, compare with below.

1939 looking south on Spring at 5th (with some of the Citizens National Bank building; BTW, great bank posts, HossC!):

CA State Library -- http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...3DA6RKQC7C.jpg

1939 or 40 looking NW across Spring:

CA State Library -- http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...2FUR3K191H.jpg

1946:

CA State Library -- http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...XYB2N6N355.jpg

1960s (?) postcard; does the bottom left panel show the same room as the Dining Room photo above?:

LAPL -- http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics41/00070228.jpg

A whole bunch of previous Alexandria posts:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4361 (lobby after 1936 renovation)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4368 (new mezzanine views)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4371 (first brick in contstruction)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4373 (postcards: 1910 Gentlemen's Grill and c. 1950s Lobby)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8333 (sealed-off wing)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10038 (color postcard of mezzanine and color photo of Palm Court stained glass)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10288 (early shot of Elks convention at Alexandria)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10569 (newer interior photos)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14951 (Houdini dinner)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=19096 (Gentlemen's Writing Room postcard)

Wasn't the Alexandria's long-sealed-off wing being converted into a hotel? Is that still happening?
http://www.scpr.org/programs/offramp...a-hotel-to-be/

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/t...a4bcf887a.html

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Apr 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu/GW View Post

I feel like I almost do! Unfortunately nothing for certain comes to mind.

Here's a fuller view--apparently it's from the 1921 Max Linder silent Seven Years Bad Luck. I haven't seen the whole film, but have been told that an even fuller view reveals mountains in the background, which goes with the Pasa-/Altadena location cited. (I really knew nothing about Linder, who was popular in France but felt he bombed in the US. His end was noirish: According to silentsaregolden.com, "He made a couple more insignificant films in Europe, then declared that he wasn't funny anymore and entered into a suicide pact with his young wife in 1925 leaving an infant child."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:07 PM

-a street snapshot from 1945.

ebay

big scan. -recognize anything in the background?

There's a Shell station on the left.....and maybe a church on the right.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Here's a fuller view--apparently it's from the 1921 Max Linder silent Seven Years Bad Luck. I haven't seen the whole film, but have been told that an even fuller view reveals mountains in the background, which goes with the Pasa-/Altadena location cited. (I really knew nothing about Linder, who was popular in France but felt he bombed in the US. His end was noirish: According to silentsaregolden.com, "He made a couple more insignificant films in Europe, then declared that he wasn't funny anymore and entered into a suicide pact with his young wife in 1925 leaving an infant child."
The whole movie was uploaded to YouTube last week - I don't know how long it will stay there. It's ages since I watched a hour of silent comedy, but it was very enjoyable, especially the mirror scene near the start.

YouTube link: Seven Years Bad Luck

The mystery house only appears in the last five minutes, and there's no context to give a clue to its location. I didn't spot the mountains either. Here's a couple of close-ups which appear to be taken on the steps in front of the house. NB. I've grayscaled all the screengrabs and tweaked the levels in an attempt to make them clearer.

More risque bathing beauties! It looks like the house had a pool and gardens.

Other locations were easier to spot. All insets are from the 1921 CD at the LAPL.

The A Brownstein & Co. building means that this is La Grande Station.

The Egbert Brothers building was on the corner of Buena Vista Street. The old courthouse would've been just off the left of the picture, but is never seen in the movie. It looks like they used the real county jail (behind the camera).

The sign is a little blurry, but appears to say Mansheffer Drugs. These buildings have now gone.

I couldn't read the sign on this station. I wonder if anyone recognizes it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 4:30 PM

Excellent findings HossC.

I thoroughly enjoyed your Hotel Alexandria post FlyingWedge. It was fun going back through all those links to the earlier posts.

Here's one postcard I didn't see.

ebay

I thought I'd add this photograph and comment by Vickey Kall.

Vickey Kall at http://historylosangeles.blogspot.com/

The Wiki article. (it's really interesting)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Co...exandria_Hotel)

Ms. Kall had this information on the mystery wing in 2013.

http://historylosangeles.blogspot.com/
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos