HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:13 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
British Columbia does have a long history with Chinese immigration as do the similar areas on the coast in the Pacific Northwest and northern California though. It might not be as many centuries old as New Spain or New France in North America, but Asian Canadian/American history there still goes at least back to the 19th century and parts of it even to the 18th. I mean, the Chinese railway workers, gold miners etc. are well known, and in fact, the first Chinese in the region, during the late 1780s, arrived on a British ship at Nootka sound later seized by the Spanish when the Nootka Crisis between the Spanish and British empires took place.
Chinese people (and many other East Asians actually) do have a very important role in the development of Canada. But though they had a presence, they were never a dominant cultural group here until at least the 1980s.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Eh, I had to quote this twice. "to the ones who this matters"? and "is not their space"?

Well, it's not their space. It's everyone's space. And how self-important can a group of people be that they threaten to leave if they feel "uncomfortable" with something so ordinary such as signs? Again, I would have some signs for them too, directing the shortest route for their exit.

I suppose this isn't quite the same as in my neighborhood where we have English and Spanish signs since admittedly the Mexican culture here is much more historically tied to this region than Chinese culture would be to that region of the US and Canada, even though they are easily the center of Asian immigration in both countries.
I have a very close relative (I won't say how close) who moved his family from inner city Houston 20 years ago because he wasn't "comfortable" living around Hispanics, Blacks, South Asians, Southeast Asians, Persians, etc., even though property values were skyrocketing. So he and his wife picked up and moved to the most distant northwest suburb at the time. It was close to 100 percent Anglo then. But...guess what happened? That particular suburb, like so many in the Houston metro, is just about as diverse as his old neighborhood now, and property values haven't increased nearly as fast. They would move again if it weren't for the great job he has in that suburb. In our family, this is sort of a funny story, but it's sad, too.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:20 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Chinese people (and many other East Asians actually) do have a very important role in the development of Canada. But though they had a presence, they were never a dominant cultural group here until at least the 1980s.
I would say the history and status of the Chinese community in Vancouver mirrors the one in San Francisco with the exception that in Vancouver it's share and concentration has grown greater over the past couple of decades as you say.

But nowhere in the US and Canada has the Chinese community carved out a quasi charter group or co-charter group status like it has in places like Singapore and Malaysia with basically its own complete community and institutional network including an education system. Even in Vancouver where they have a lot of their own stuff like business associations, media and social clubs, they are still integrated into "anglo-normative" society for major stuff like schools etc.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You come from a place that speaks French and English. I would think you would understand better than some here that it's unreasonable to think that a place can or should have a singular identity.

Your neighborhood and mine are a bit the same in that they both share two different languages and cultures. This discussion with the Chinese signs in neighborhoods is a bit different, as I said since they don't have a historical tie to that place like the French do in your area or the Mexican in mine.
Well, that place I alluded to is where my parents live and is in Ontario, not Quebec.

Where I live in Quebec French does not equate with Mexican-Spanish where you live. Assuming you live in Austin TX the correct equivalency is French here and English in Austin. In a sense, Spanish where you live is actually like English here.

There can never be a perfect correlation of course but linguistically speaking, we can even be said to be more like Juarez than we are like El Paso.

If you get my drift.

You can see the signage for a couple of typical strip malls if you swing around in this view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.48452...7i13312!8i6656

It's all European lettering so perhaps it's less intimidating for some people than Chinese characters are...

Last edited by Acajack; Sep 24, 2017 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

And as far as the Quebec example of English and French coexisting, I'll let Acajack speak to that. But my impression is, the existence of English in that context is not something that is exactly embraced with open arms.
I know you have a pretty good grasp of this, but for the benefit of others I'll just say... it's complicated.

I don't want to derail the thread.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Which ethnic group dominates New York?

I would describe New York as an extremely multi-ethnic "Anglo-American normative" city.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You come from a place that speaks French and English. I would think you would understand better than some here that it's unreasonable to think that a place can or should have a singular identity.

Your neighborhood and mine are a bit the same in that they both share two different languages and cultures. This discussion with the Chinese signs in neighborhoods is a bit different, as I said since they don't have a historical tie to that place like the French do in your area or the Mexican in mine.

One thing I'm always reminded of (and miss) whenever I'm not at home is the lack of Mexican culture someplace else. No Spanish signs and, more importantly, no Mexican food restaurants, at least not on the level we have here. It's not just sentimental homesick blues, it's a real feeling of missing something that I've come to appreciate. I'm glad the Mexican immigrants who came here didn't abandon their heritage and culture so that they could assimilate and make people feel comfortable. However, they did come here and make this place their home and contribute to what makes it attractive. That's what I mean by a place belonging to everyone. They're free to add their little touch to it. Has anyone here ever heard of a place called "New York"?
I apologize if that's not where you were going with this, but when I first read this "it belongs to everyone" it reminded me of the "we're all immigrants", "Canada belongs to everyone in the world" borderline open borders schtick that you hear in many circles in Canada these days.

I am actually pro-immigration and very open and (most importantly perhaps) quite curious about other cultures but the idea that established languages, cultures and even values have no more "right of place" than those of someone who just walked in the door is totally absurd and unacceptable to me.

In the case of values especially, such fluidity in today's world might actually be a bit dangerous TBQH.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:28 PM
See ya down under, mates

The descendants of the Chinese workers who built the railway etc. are completely separate from the waves of mainland Chinese who have hit Vancouver since the turn of the century and are just as concerned by the changes to their city as everyone else here. Hell even the Hong Kongers who arrived in the 90s are concerned by the overwhelming mainland Chinese takeover. I am pro-immigration for people who want to live in Canada with Canadians, not for people who want to turn Canada into their home country.

Ironically I am now leaving Vancouver as I no longer feel welcome here and have been pushed out economically. I will respect the culture of my new country since they've done a much better job of keeping their citizen's needs first. I won't be able to vote or buy property and that's fine with me.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:29 PM

People said the same thing about the Hong Kong immigrants of the 90s (Hongcouver etc.)

Also most of the GVRD is not South Vancouver or Richmond. You say you live in North Van which is what 5% Chinese?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But nowhere in the US and Canada has the Chinese community carved out a quasi charter group or co-charter group status like it has in places like Singapore and Malaysia with basically its own complete community and institutional network including an education system. Even in Vancouver where they have a lot of their own stuff like business associations, media and social clubs, they are still integrated into "anglo-normative" society for major stuff like schools etc.
Would you consider anywhere in the US with historical Spanish-speaking communities going back to when it was either Mexico or New Spain, to have such Spanish speakers be a quasi charter or co-charter group?

Or would the US only have Anglo settlers as the sole charter group?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 8:11 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
People said the same thing about the Hong Kong immigrants of the 90s (Hongcouver etc.)
Nah, Hong Kongers (and Taiwanese, etc. etc.) have a different attitude. They integrated and became part of the existing community, just like most other immigrants. Mainland Chinese are fundamentally changing Vancouver. It's not a racial thing as proven by the many other southeast asian groups who have added to Vancouver's culture - mainland Chinese have no interest in what already exists here.

Quote:
Also most of the GVRD is not South Vancouver or Richmond. You say you live in North Van which is what 5% Chinese?
My neighbourhood - a Persian enclave - is one of the few non-Chinese areas left, yes, but I work downtown and regularly spend time throughout the city. Areas that I used to love visiting are now unrecognizable. It's not just South Vancouver and Richmond - when was the last time you visited?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Would you consider anywhere in the US with historical Spanish-speaking communities going back to when it was either Mexico or New Spain, to have such Spanish speakers be a quasi charter or co-charter group?

Or would the US only have Anglo settlers as the sole charter group?
That's a tuffy.

I don't feel strongly either way about that but my sense is that all the Spanish place names and the current high number of Spanish speakers especially in the SW US gives a somewhat misleading picture of how historically entrenched all of that is.

In much of that region the original Europeans to go there were Spanish or Mexican but there was very little societal organization and population beyond an archipelago of isolated missions.

Organized education in Spanish for example never existed virtually anywhere in what is today the southwestern U.S., not even in South Texas which is a long-established Hispanic majority region. (Contrary to most other areas of the southwest which were controlled by Spain or Mexico, but sparsely populated. A lot of these areas have lots of Hispanics today, but they actually came after the anglos.)

In fact, one of the arguments made in the Texas Declaration of Independence (made by anglos of course) to justify independence from Mexico was that the Mexicans had never even set up the slightest education system for the area’s population, and as such was proof of their neglect of the place.

You only really had any level of true settlement and societal organization (including a handful of schools) in a very small part of north-central New Mexico around Santa Fe.

Another thing is that families who are Spanish-dominant intergenerationally going back to the Spanish or Mexican eras are extremely rare. The vast majority of people are assimilated and if bilingual they speak Spanish as a second language at best.

So basically it's the long-established who are assimilated and the newcomers from Mexico or other parts of Latin American "replace them" (so to speak) as Spanish speakers, and even outnumber them in most cases. To the point where the numbers and percentages of Hispanics and Spanish speakers in the SW US are higher today than they've ever been in the past 100-150 years. This is almost entirely due to immigration as opposed to the dynamism or re-awakening of the locals who are descended from the region's first Spanish-Mexican settlers.

Finally, I am not really sure that outside of a tiny minority that very many Hispanic Americans dream of Aztlan or reconquista or of making these regions Spanish speaking areas. Yes, millions of people in the US do spend much, most of all their day speaking in Spanish. But that's because *they can*, not usually because there is a political motivation or statement behind it. I am pretty sure that every single Hispanic American parent will tell you that they want their kids to succeed - as Americans. It's not really about their kids being pioneers in some kind of conspiracy to take over the SW US or South Florida. Of course, there are bumps along the way in their integration - I fully recognize this aspect of the dynamic.

Anyway, I suppose this makes it sound like I am taking the anglo side of the argument, but really none of this is up to me to decide.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My neighbourhood - a Persian enclave - is one of the few non-Chinese areas left, yes, but I work downtown and regularly spend time throughout the city. Areas that I used to love visiting are now unrecognizable. It's not just South Vancouver and Richmond - when was the last time you visited?
Last year. I didn't realize that the rest of the GVRD became majority Chinese since then.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:15 PM

West and North Van, to me, seemed very white, Northern European, with an obvious UK presence. Also quite wealthy in parts.

I don't think the Asian immigrant settlement patterns are that different between U.S. and Canada. In both, generally speaking, Asian immigrants prefer new construction suburbs. Outside of a few immigrant gateways, you don't see too many new Asian immigrants in urban or working class settings.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Eh, I had to quote this twice. "to the ones who this matters"? and "is not their space"?

Well, it's not their space. It's everyone's space. And how self-important can a group of people be that they threaten to leave if they feel "uncomfortable" with something so ordinary such as signs? Again, I would have some signs for them too, directing the shortest route for their exit.
We're on the same page my friend. Here in Winnipeg, I'm sick and tired of aboriginals whining on and on about how this is "their space" and we took it from them. "Self-important" is a perfect adjective. Are they that threatened by a bit of farming and city building? We even provided them with free education.

Please, it's everyone's space. They were underutilizing it anyway.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:29 PM

Though in Van the established blue chip neighborhoods like Dunbar and Shaughnessy have become very Chinese. In Toronto wealthy Asians tend to bypass Rosedale, North Toronto and Forest Hill and prefer York Mills, Willowdale and Richmond Hill.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
We're on the same page my friend. Here in Winnipeg, I'm sick and tired of aboriginals whining on and on about how this is "their space" and we took it from them. "Self-important" is a perfect adjective. Are they that threatened by a bit of farming and city building? We even provided them with free education.

Somehow I doubt that's where Kevin was going with that...

Just sayin'.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:42 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post

I try to avoid this argument because scale is important and I don't want to get caught up in hyperbole. Chinese immigrants aren't committing literal genocide and expressly trying to destroy the Canadian way of life and culture. They are building another society beside ours, not on top of it. As such the displacing of culture is by unintentionally squeezing it out, not intentionally destroying it.

As concerned as I am with the current proceedings, it's important to stay grounded. It's not a hostile takeover. It does displace local culture, but the key difference is we actually have the power to stop this, if we decide we want to.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Organized education in Spanish for example never existed virtually anywhere in what is today the southwestern U.S., not even in South Texas which is a long-established Hispanic majority region. (Contrary to most other areas of the southwest which were controlled by Spain or Mexico, but sparsely populated. A lot of these areas have lots of Hispanics today, but they actually came after the anglos.)

Finally, I am not really sure that outside of a tiny minority that very many Hispanic Americans dream of Aztlan or reconquista or of making these regions Spanish speaking areas. Yes, millions of people in the US do spend much, most of all their day speaking in Spanish. But that's because *they can*, not usually because there is a political motivation or statement behind it. I am pretty sure that every single Hispanic American parent will tell you that they want their kids to succeed - as Americans. It's not really about their kids being pioneers in some kind of conspiracy to take over the SW US or South Florida. Of course, there are bumps along the way in their integration - I fully recognize this aspect of the dynamic.

Anyway, I suppose this makes it sound like I am taking the anglo side of the argument, but really none of this is up to me to decide.
If you are Texan or just more famiiar with Texas, you should get a little more familiar with the rest of the Southwest before making sweeping pronouncements. Santa Fe in New Mexico, for example, was certainly not just an outpost in the days when it was part of New Spain. Similarly with the Santa Cruz River Valley in southern AZ (centered on what is now Tucson and areas to its south) which, as distinct from the rest of the state including Phoenix, became part of the Gadsden Purchase (by the US from Mexico) and joined the US much later than the rest so that even today it has a more Hispanic flavor.

Juan Batista de Anza organized his expedition in this well-settled area before heading to California and as far north as San Francisco and other Bay Area counties where he established the well-known missions:

Anza Expedition

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c/Juba_map.jpg

I intend to take my sister's kids to church on Christmas at San Javier del Bac which is still a functioning church:

https://www.nps.gov/tuma/learn/histo...er-del-bac.htm

It isn't "tak(ing) the Anglo side of the argument" to recognize the Hispanic contribution to the culture of the American southwest in all its complexity as long as your second thesis--that just about all immigrants want to be American and live in America, not Mexico--is true. I am simply not sure to what degree the Aztlan idea permeates in some communities. Like BLM and such notions, it could blossom under the right (wrong) circumstances and I would prefer to see the US government paying it more active attention and seeking to get a better grip on how influential it really is.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I try to avoid this argument because scale is important and I don't want to get caught up in hyperbole. Chinese immigrants aren't committing literal genocide and expressly trying to destroy the Canadian way of life and culture. They are building another society beside ours, not on top of it. As such the displacing of culture is by unintentionally squeezing it out, not intentionally destroying it.

As concerned as I am with the current proceedings, it's important to stay grounded. It's not a hostile takeover. It does displace local culture, but the key difference is we actually have the power to stop this, if we decide we want to.
I take it back, I TAKE IT BAAAAACCCKKK!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions