HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
It can now be seen from Auditorium Shores, in the gap just right of One Congress.

Wow, look at the Google tower - it's starting to catch up to North Shore. Does anyone know if the Google logo is going to be added to the top of that building?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 2:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Wow, look at the Google tower - it's starting to catch up to North Shore. Does anyone know if the Google logo is going to be added to the top of that building?
Google is leasing less than half of the office building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 5:24 PM

It is kind of silly to call this the Google Tower. Google is certainly not referencing it that way. They are a major tenant, and that is probably all they want to be. As far as I can tell, Google is pretty discrete about their real estate/office arrangements. They own or lease a lot of space around the country, and they pretty much just occupy the space rather than name the space.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:12 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It is kind of silly to call this the Google Tower. Google is certainly not referencing it that way. They are a major tenant, and that is probably all they want to be. As far as I can tell, Google is pretty discrete about their real estate/office arrangements. They own or lease a lot of space around the country, and they pretty much just occupy the space rather than name the space.
They do occupy one of the Stonebridge office mid-rises up on Mopac near 183, and their name/logo is on that one. I'm not sure what percentage of the building they took, though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They do occupy one of the Stonebridge office mid-rises up on Mopac near 183, and their name/logo is on that one. I'm not sure what percentage of the building they took, though.
5 Floors, I believe there are 9 total.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 8:54 PM

Actually they have removed the logo from that building. Or moved it somewhere besides facing Mopac.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 10:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I never got the memo that this was going to be referred to as the Google Tower. Just noticed it being called that suddenly. I won't jump on that particular bandwagon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:31 PM

I don't know how much of the Chase tower, or BoA tower either of those are leasing, but I was always under the impression that it is customary to allow a building to be named after the main tenant, also like the formally Sears tower and tons more. Even if I'm wrong, I don't mind what the locals want to call it. Google Tower sounds cool to me, even unofficially.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:04 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I don't know how much of the Chase tower, or BoA tower either of those are leasing, but I was always under the impression that it is customary to allow a building to be named after the main tenant, also like the formally Sears tower and tons more. Even if I'm wrong, I don't mind what the locals want to call it. Google Tower sounds cool to me, even unofficially.
Yes towers all over the country have major company names and dont occupy them much. Its not uncommon, and I like it being called the Google tower and hope they put the Google logo on it. We are after all a "tech city"!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's just not much of a tower to have a name as big as Google on it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It sounds like a bunch of local boosters having an orgasm because Google is setting up a big operation in downtown Austin. If Google wants or claims naming rights, I have no issue with it being called The Google Building, but otherwise it is just bush league boosterism. It is kind of embarrassing. Hey! I think this thread is supposed to be about the Fairmont. Looks like we got sidetracked yet again. Oh, well...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:24 PM

On their facebook page, Big Red Dog is teasing new renders of the Waller Creek pedestrian bridge, connecting the Fairmont to the convention center from By-Encore (https://by-encore.squarespace.com.) Construction is slated to start Fall 2016.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Will be perfect for keeping the mosquitos from biting you as you make your way across the jungle that is Waller Creek lol. Or maybe not as if looks like the fencing would be wide enough for them to get through. Still not a bad crosswalk. It's certainly unique.

Hopefully there will be night lightning as that could become a pretty creepy place to be in the dark lol.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:39 PM
World Traveler

The shortest distance from A to B is a bunch of twists and turns evidently...but I do actually like the design. I guess I expected it to be a bit more utilitarian. I couldn't remember what the original renderings had.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 7:26 PM
クラブトクヨ

Its almost like a piece of art, I really like the way it weaves with the nature around it. Hope it turns out like this, and has cool lighting at night.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 9:43 PM

Reminds me of something you'd see in a zoo over an animal enclosure. Or am I thinking of Jurassic Park? Pretty cool either way.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 9:49 PM

I like it a lot. Hope they build it like that.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 11:44 PM

Looks suicide proof. I'll just be the jerk that says it would have been nice to be able to pause by a railing and look out over the creek and surroundings. You would have issues trying to take pictures through the little holes. Since someone mentioned zoo, the thought of natural materials such as cedar or mesquite would blend in better, at least over the creek, and I love the smell of cedar and mesquite, and bbq.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:16 AM

I really want to love it but if it's just concrete slabs and an open mesh wall like that it has a high potential to be sweaty misery walking over it in the summer. At least it won't be stuffy in the winter. I go to a lot of conventions and skywalks can be either a blessing or a miserable speedwalk.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 12:39 AM

Also I could see a lot of mold and dirt getting on that light/white concrete if they leave it open-air... I guess the outside would get dirty anyway.

But the design is awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin