HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
If suburbs like Mississauga are now being debated, how many more incorporated cities do we have to take into consideration?
Mississauga is technically a suburb but it has as much weight as a place like Long Beach or arguably San Jose, granted San Jose is much more famous.

It is very much a new city in that it is no longer merely a blip on the radar.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:31 PM

I would think Miami would be up there. Southern Florida wasn't even habitable until after WWI when water pumping made it possible to live there. Since then, Miami has grown aggressively and has some of the most modern architecture outside of NYC.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 12:58 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

would agree about Florida and Miami being the newest, and Phoenix.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's wild. I haven't seen a deer anywhere here inside the city limits in at least 5 years. The last one I believe I saw was actually in my neighborhood, and I feel really bad about it because it had to have been lost. There is a creek that runs a few blocks from where I saw it. It's pretty much the only place I can think of where it might have come from. Seeing a deer like that is kind of like watching a whale beach itself. We have plenty of skunks, opossums, and raccoons, but seeing a deer around was really bizarre. They're everywhere outside of the city. I counted over 100 of them on the way back from the Hill Country one night just along the highway.
Plenty of deer and coyotes left in my part of SW Austin just behind the Whole Foods/Costco shopping center. I know it's not the center of town, but it is still well within the city limits. I saw two deer behind Austin Pets Alive up along the railroad tracks a few months ago. That is the very edge of downtown.

Back on topic, I vote for Phoenix as the biggest change for an American city post WW2. Las Vegas is another big changer, but it was a gambling and resort mecca in 1950 and remains that today. Much bigger and splashier, but how much is it changed culturally/economically? Last 20 years and the winner is probably Austin. I've been here for 21 years, and this city looks and feels entirely different to me. San Jose also has gone through huge changes in the past 30 years as the computer and tech industry matured, but San Jose has been a pretty large city for longer than that. Prior to 1975 or 1980 or so it felt a lot like parts of Los Angeles (San Fernando or San Gabriel Valley) with no one dominant economic driver.

Last edited by austlar1; Sep 24, 2017 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:38 AM

I had to slam on my breaks last fall for a very confused and panicked buck running in circles during morning rush hour traffic on I-35 Southbound at the Ben White interchange. For those not familiar with the area, this was on the third level of one of those five level Texas stacks.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:04 AM

Kevin...Deer are plentiful right in the city in Northwest Hills, immediately west of Mopac in Austin. For example, you can drive up Greystone drive and branch out onto any of the side streets and see deer in yards all over the place around dusk. I haven't seen them east of Mopac, although coyotes roam along Shoal Creek just west of Burnet Rd. Our neighborhood loses small pets frequently to coyotes.

The Great Hills neighborhood down below the plateau on which 183 stretches is also full of deer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:53 AM
Meh

That's weird. We hardly ever see them around, even when we go to my brother's house, and they live way out off of Slaughter Lane near Old Lockhart Highway. Where we see them most often is along Old San Antonio Road between Austin and Buda.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:39 AM
See ya down under, mates

Vancouver has completely changed as a city in recent decades. I don't think any American city has experienced the cultural shift it has. Most people who grew up here have been completely pushed out, and you could argue it is North America's first Chinese city - if not now then very soon.

Downtown Vancouver in 30 years:

Before:

After:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rml View Post
I wish I could see old Nashville. Anyone I have ever talked to loves Nashville but I am assuming they mean the party scene in 'new Nashville'. I must get down there to see the heritage before it is consumed.

In another light a city like London, Ontario is growing rapidly and trying to find it's identity. It's a white collar city that is way to tight but has great potential to grow in so many different ways. I hope it's culture develops to a place where people would like to come visit.
I don't think London is growing rapidly. It's growing at 1.2% a year, same as Windsor, I would consider that a healthy growth rate.

London is also a big manufacturing city, with a huge underclass. It does have white collar industries, but it's much more blue collar than most people realize.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Sun belt cities of the usual suspects. Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and California. Post war boomers.

1950 populations:
Phoenix - 106,000 - 1.615 million
Las Vegas - 24,000 - 633,000
San Diego - 333,000 - 1.407 million

Florida - 2.81 million - 20.61 million
California - 10.68 million - 39.25 million
Texas - 7.77 million - 27.86 million
Nevada - 0.162 million - 2.94 million
Arizona - 0.756 million - 6.93 million

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I don't think London is growing rapidly. It's growing at 1.2% a year, same as Windsor, I would consider that a healthy growth rate.

London is also a big manufacturing city, with a huge underclass. It does have white collar industries, but it's much more blue collar than most people realize.
I agree that London's white collar character is overstated. Don't know if I'd say "huge underclass" though - it's not exactly north Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 9:21 PM

B&A of Austin's skyline. 2018 the western half will see a lot of new additions.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
B&A of Austin's skyline. 2018 the western half will see a lot of new additions.

Video Link
Makes me wonder how the city's skyline will look in 5-10 years.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I agree that London's white collar character is overstated. Don't know if I'd say "huge underclass" though - it's not exactly north Winnipeg.
Only 75.9% of the London area population aged 25 to 54 is now working, that ranks London dead last among major Canadian cities! That's not a great stat!

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/09/08/lo...s-were-created

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions