HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I'm talking outside of the Northland area. Most of the major mile roads were geared more toward the office market than retail. Aside from Northland and Tel-Twelve, Southfield didn't have a lot of strip retail development.
We must have very different definitions of "a lot." Dearborn is about the only inner ring suburb that comes close to Southfield for strip malls.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 1:27 AM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
That isn't necessarily true. Just because Northland declined doesn't mean the rest of the city is declining. Also, median incomes in the city aren't declining in most neighborhoods, and the population is on the rise again. What other inner-ring suburbs are seeing population increases? Not many...
Earlier you set the demarcation line at 10 mile. Guess what, south of 10 mile covers nearly half of Southfield. And who is making up this population increase - Southfield's traditional college educated middle-class or working-class or poor people fleeing Detroit? When was the median income data taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudkina
I'm talking outside of the Northland area. Most of the major mile roads were geared more toward the office market than retail. Aside from Northland and Tel-Twelve, Southfield didn't have a lot of strip retail development.
Many of Southfield's major north-south roads have tons of strip-mall retail. I don't think that the mile roads are doing badly either. Are you telling me that Telegraph, Southfield, Greenfield, Evergreen, Lasher and Northwestern Highway are strip-mall sparse? And let's not even mention 8-Mile road - even the parts well away from Northland...

Quote:
The one on Southfield Rd between 12 Mile and 13 Mile...
Forgive me for forgetting about the other Home Depot, in a low-middle income strip mall, in an inner-ring suburb of Detroit. How could I forget such monumental concerns?

Quote:
It's not low-middle class. It's middle class. low-middle would be places like Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, etc. There is a low-middle shopping center in Southfield. It's across the street from the Home Depot (that you obviously didn't know existed, and therefore can't be that knowledgeable of the neighborhoods of Southfield...)

See above. So I forgot about a Home Depot in a city bigger in land size than Manhattan and you deduce that I must not be very knowledgeable about its neighborhoods. Riiight. Because if one does not know about the K-Mart across from Penn Station then he or she cannot speak at all about Manhattan retail!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:44 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
See above. So I forgot about a Home Depot in a city bigger in land size than Manhattan and you deduce that I must not be very knowledgeable about its neighborhoods. Riiight. Because if one does not know about the K-Mart across from Penn Station then he or she cannot speak at all about Manhattan retail!
It's called being sarcastic. I usually end my sarcastic comments with "..." BTW, the Home Depot isn't in a strip mall.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:09 AM
Always A Classic

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions