HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Are those cities made up entirely of tourists then?
Huh?

Not sure your point, but if you're in a city frequented by millions (likely) of tourists a year and you're in a touristy spot, likely then that a healthy portion of those patio patrons are tourists.

But much more to my point, spending a week or so in a big city being a tourist just doesn't even come close to the reality of living and working in said city 48 weeks a year.

Good reason those four weeks vacation, equal millions of residents flee their cities.

Of course, maybe it's as simple as the grass truly is always greener on the other side.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
No, I feel this way because we tend to over-prioritize private space here and silo ourselves versus enriching our society and culture by being within it more often.
Basically you want other people to have your priorities/opinions/values & find it somehow shameful/wrong/incorrect that they don't?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:47 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Basically you want other people to have your priorities/opinions/values & find it somehow shameful/wrong/incorrect that they don't?
Nope, but bravo again. Point being that we tend to have such 'comfortable' and 'easy' private spaces that we often spend far too much time within/at them versus going out and being a part of our society/city.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:54 PM
HVAC guru

Heh.. My back yard may be private and comfortable but it certainly ain't easy! Takes a lot of work to have and maintain a nice space like that

In the summer we spend a ton of time there. With friends & neighbours, barbecuing, having a beer or three, gardening, playing with the dogs, etc etc

That'd not to say we don't like going out but that's a very different experience. Whyte or the Leg are not similar experiences to relaxing and enjoying our private space

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nope, but bravo again. Point being that we tend to have such 'comfortable' and 'easy' private spaces that we often spend far too much time within/at them versus going out and being a part of our society/city.
So, basically, you want other people to have your priorities/opinions/values & find it somehow shameful/wrong/incorrect that they don't?

I'm repeating myself because despite you "disagreeing" with my assertion, you immediately reaffirmed that you think other people are spending time doing what they want & not enough doing what you wish they'd do, assigning a negative assessment of "too much" to it.

Who are you to say how & why other Canadians live their lives is somehow incorrect or wrong? That their desire to stay in & eat a home-cooked meal at their kitchen table before watching the hockey game on tv is somehow inferior/incorrect/lesser than your desire to eat out at a restaurant & watch the game at a pub?

You are not the arbiter of culture, the adjudicator of who does & who doesn't contribute to society.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:10 PM
Community Guy

^thanks for the reminder.

Point being, enjoying our private spaces is wonderful, but we need to continue to invest and develop our public spaces into really great ways to get out and enjoy where we live.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:25 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Huh?

Not sure your point, but if you're in a city frequented by millions (likely) of tourists a year and you're in a touristy spot, likely then that a healthy portion of those patio patrons are tourists.

But much more to my point, spending a week or so in a big city being a tourist just doesn't even come close to the reality of living and working in said city 48 weeks a year.

Good reason those four weeks vacation, equal millions of residents flee their cities.

Of course, maybe it's as simple as the grass truly is always greener on the other side.
Even those heavily "touristed" cities were not built that way specifically for tourists, and not all areas built that way are touristy either.

Even that aside, if those are the kinds of things that not only a changing demographic is looking for in a city (and one only need remember what our central neighbourhoods were like 5, 10, 20 years ago to see that yes, it is changing), but also the kind of experiences that visitors and tourists look for in a city, then I don't understand why some posters are so derisive against building toward those things and building up those experiences when they are very attractive to a large number of people.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:32 PM
Community Guy

Congratulations to Edmonton's First Infill Design Competition Winners!

October 21, 2016

The City of Edmonton is proud to announce the winners of Edmonton’s first Infill Design Competition. The winners were celebrated at the awards gala held last night at the Art Gallery of Alberta.

Awards of Merit

Inclination | Sam an Maleknia, Tyler Vreeling, Vaughan Hoy, Myron Nebozuk, Brad Kennedy, Edmonton
hoUSe | AVID Architecture, Edmonton
Backyard Pingo | Rockliff Pierzchajlo Kroman Architects Ltd., Edmonton
Courtyard Villa | Douglas Sollows Architect Inc., Edmonton
Student Award (Post Secondary)

Award of Merit:
KIN[fill] | Kelsy Whitten, Elyse Kavanagh, Vancouver
Best in Class:
Yard-1 | Andrew Falls, Ruslan Ivanytskyy, Toronto
Best in Class Awards

Best Overall:
SlimCity | MIZA Architects, Vancouver
Open Category:
Tweener | 5468796 Architecture Inc., Winnipeg
Attached Housing: Marc Brulotte, Brenda Peters, Laurie Lebirk, Louise Gibson, Gilbert Catabay, Edmonton
Garage/Garden Suite: Max/Min | Erick Villagomez, Paola Gavilanez, Vancouver
Jury Special Recognition
Pork Chop Lot | Sherri Shorten, Mette Rasmussen, Shelley Sabo, Edmonton

People’s Choice Award
The Edmonton Wood-flex House | O+R Studio, Toronto

This was an open competition, one of the first of its kind in Canada, where architects, designers, planners, students and anyone with creative ideas about infill in Edmonton were invited to submit proposals. The competition was created to help demonstrate how infill can enhance, rather than detract from the character of our established neighbourhoods.

"This whole competition was intended to find designs that would inspire us, to elevate our infill to another level," said Councillor Bev Esslinger who cohosted the awards gala last night with Councillor Scott McKeen. "We hope to inspire future architects to try different things and to hopefully change the face of our neighbourhoods throughout the City."

Councillors Scott McKeen and Bev Esslinger initially came up with the idea: "Bev and I both thought, how can we uplift the discussion on infill through interesting, creative and great design," said Councillor McKeen. That idea was then brought to City staff to design the competition. "We are just so thrilled with the work of Administration."

Thank you to all who took the time to prepare submissions - we received over 80! To view all of the submissions, visit the competition website.

Also, thank you to those who took the time to vote online for the “People’s Choice” award category. A total of 2850 votes were received, with the winning submission receiving 878 votes. The “People’s Choice” category invites everyone to learn about the breadth of possibilities for infill design in Edmonton and to continue the evolving infill conversation.

The City of Edmonton is excited to showcase design innovation and best practices that improve the quality of infill development in the City. The Infill Design Competition is just one of many initiatives the City is working on to help encourage more and better infill in Edmonton. The competition was inspired by Action 8 of Edmonton’s Infill Roadmap, the City’s two-year work plan for advancing infill in Edmonton.

For more information:

edmontoninfilldesign.ca
Media contact:

Amber Medynski
Communications Advisor, Sustainable Development
780-508-9528

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:59 PM
Change is good

Quote:
^thanks for the reminder.

Point being, enjoying our private spaces is wonderful, but we need to continue to invest and develop our public spaces into really great ways to get out and enjoy where we live.
We already do. We've spent massive amounts of money on an arena, and many other public spaces, like rec centers and parks... what more do you want? It really seems like you are just saying things that aren't true. We have a massive river valley park system, some of the best cultural facilities this side of Toronto, but apparently this isn't enough for you? We are in the process of spending millions of dollars on a dog park in your neighbourhood when beaverhills is mostly underused.

I see many of our public spaces well used. Parks for children to play in the suburbs are all well used. Our river valley and cultural facilities are well invested in, and well used....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:03 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
building toward those things and building up those experiences when they are very attractive to a large number of people.
and what are those things specifically?

so many posters here sell Edmonton short. It's no wonder we have a such an image problem when most of our citizens are so negative on what we actually have and do. We are our own worst enemy.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
so many posters here sell Edmonton short. It's no wonder we have a such an image problem when most of our citizens are so negative on what we actually have and do. We are our own worst enemy.
Edmonton & their fellow Edmontonians.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
No, I feel this way because we tend to over-prioritize private space here and silo ourselves versus enriching our society and culture by being within it more often.
that's pretty presumptuous and pretty judgemental all at the same time Coldrsx... in a word, it's crap.

how spaces are used is more important than whether they are "public" or "private". don't forget, most of those urban chic bars and patios are private spaces, not public ones. how you choose to use your front room or your balcony or your back yard and how open and accessible those spaces are for various activities is a reflection of how you choose to use them, not whether they are public or private. just as your family picnic in a park or your conversations with your friends in a square are as open - or as closed - as you choose them to be whether or not they are public or private.

my backyard is more open and accessible and conducive to public exchange than your lobby and elevator and balcony and i pay dearly for the right to invest in it and take care of it and participate in those exchanges (even if it's just offering a view to those walking by). and i also pay dearly - and freely i might add - for the right to invest in those public spaces you enjoy. when you say "i feel this way because we tend to over-prioritize private space", you're completely and entirely wrong. you feel the way you do because you tend to under-prioritize private space. and you're perfectly entitled to feel that way. but please stop confusing "i" with "we".

equating private space alone with silo-ing and public space alone as capable of enriching our society and culture is crap. and when our previous mayor said "no more crap" by calling crap out for what it is, it's a shame he was only referencing architecture.

Last edited by kcantor; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:13 PM
HVAC guru

^yes your private back yard oasis is indeed a joy for those who walk or cycle by on the multi-use trail to enjoy

That's one of the reasons we spend so much time and energy planning, planting and maintaining our yard. Not just for us to enjoy but also because our yard is also part of the public sphere for our neighbours, and anyone else who happens down our street to enjoy. it's just as important as the public spaces that others prioritize

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Well said once again Ken.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:01 PM
Community Guy

Have your say on Civic Precinct surface renewal

October 21, 2016

The City of Edmonton is hosting a public open house to share information and get public feedback on proposed surface renewal of the downtown Civic Precinct.

Date: Monday, October 24, 2016
Time: 4 - 8 pm
City Hall Room, 1 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Drop in and share your thoughts on the Civic Precinct surface renewal, which is needed to improve accessibility and safety, as well as to make area maintenance more sustainable. The scope of work includes:

Replacement of the tiles around City Hall;
Integration of the 102A Avenue road closure between 99 Street and 100 Street with City Hall and Churchill Square;
Renewal of the East Garden turf (on the east side of Churchill Square) with a more durable surface that can accommodate area festivals and public activities.
The Civic Precinct is an important City asset: a family-friendly, lively urban gathering space in the heart of Edmonton’s downtown. The area includes City Hall, Sir Winston Churchill Square, and Centennial Plaza south of the Stanley A. Milner Library.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:04 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
that's pretty presumptuous and pretty judgemental all at the same time Coldrsx... in a word, it's crap.

how spaces are used is more important than whether they are "public" or "private". don't forget, most of those urban chic bars and patios are private spaces, not public ones. how you choose to use your front room or your balcony or your back yard and how open and accessible those spaces are for various activities is a reflection of how you choose to use them, not whether they are public or private. just as your family picnic in a park or your conversations with your friends in a square are as open - or as closed - as you choose them to be whether or not they are public or private.

my backyard is more open and accessible and conducive to public exchange than your lobby and elevator and balcony and i pay dearly for the right to invest in it and take care of it and participate in those exchanges (even if it's just offering a view to those walking by). and i also pay dearly - and freely i might add - for the right to invest in those public spaces you enjoy. when you say "i feel this way because we tend to over-prioritize private space", you're completely and entirely wrong. you feel the way you do because you tend to under-prioritize private space. and you're perfectly entitled to feel that way. but please stop confusing "i" with "we".

equating private space alone with silo-ing and public space alone as capable of enriching our society and culture is crap. and when our previous mayor said "no more crap" by calling crap out for what it is, it's a shame he was only referencing architecture.
You are missing my point. This is not about a patio, although it could be, it is about our park spaces, our blvds, our care, attention and investment in squares, fountains, places for anyone and everyone.

The only crap here is how little most people seem to care about this city, its spaces and its potential.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You are missing my point. This is not about a patio, although it could be, it is about our park spaces, our blvds, our care, attention and investment in squares, fountains, places for anyone and everyone.

The only crap here is how little most people seem to care about this city, its spaces and its potential.
There's been literally a billion dollars invested over the last decade in your neighbourhood alone to provide park spaces, squares & fountains; places for anyone & everyone. But still you complain & try to make it seem like Edmonton doesn't care about things just because Edmonton & the people that live in it don't completely parrot your personal views, opinions & priorities.

The real crap here is the constant waves of arrogance, presumption & judgement of how much people care about the city based solely upon your own values & not theirs. Your yardstick isn't the only one suitable for measurement. You seem resolutely incapable or unwilling to think about things from other people's perspectives.

I get that you want to be a big fish in a small pond with all the notoriety & cachet that comes with it, I just don't know why you want to live here, in Edmonton; a city where you find the vast majority of the residents obstacles to your lifestyle at best & contemptible at worst.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:31 PM
Community Guy

^We are doing much better yes, but still have a very long way to go and I wonder about the appetite. We have lots of open spaces, but not a lot of great public spaces, let alone private/public spaces. That's my point.

Uphill battles are more interesting.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Once again, you're projecting your own values as the only ones that matter. Keep on doubling down on that, it's amusing to watch you run around in circles making broad, fallacious claims.

Seeing you consider the changing of other people's valid opinions, priorities, values & lifestyles to suit your own ends as a "battle" speaks volumes about how little empathy & understanding of other people you have.

FWIW, I don't consider our jousting on the forums a battle, I'm not actually trying to change your opinions (as if that'd ever happen), rather it's more like shining a light onto the more harmful & counterproductive aspects of your mindset & actions.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:

no, i did not miss your point, you still seem to be missing your own point.

my comments were not about "a patio". i simply used the example of patios - which are private spaces - to point out how private spaces can address public needs.

my references to public spaces was not to a patio. the two quoted examples noted were to "parks" and "squares", not to patios. and when i noted that i happily support investment in public spaces, rest assured that includes "our park spaces, our blvds, our care, attention and investment in squares, fountains, places for anyone and everyone".

as for your "the only crap here is how little most people seem to care about this city, its spaces and its potential", i again take offense at your presumption and your judgement that most people don't care about this city, its spaces and it's potential just because they don't agree with you whether or not you choose to include me in that most. because that's what's crap.

as i noted previously, you are perfectly entitled to your opinions and you are entitled to and capable of defending them. that's not what's being questioned here. again. what's being questioned here are the assumptions and judgements you make about others based simply on how they align themselves with your opinions facts be damned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton