HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:42 PM

That last Esks game had an attendance of about 36,000 or so, which is roughly twice that of an Oilers game (although I gather many came for the 50/50). Nevertheless - where I was sitting, I had a choice of about 4 men's washrooms within the vicinity of my seat (2 in the concourse, 1 in the concession area and 1 in the Jackie Parker lounge) and no lineups. At Rogers, anywhere I've sat for a game there's just 1 or 2 choices with big lineups. There's a high incidence of bowel diseases in Canada and some close to me are sufferers, which is why I find the lack of shitters in Rogers Place and other newer developments to be unacceptable.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Jul 17, 2017 at 8:09 PM. Reason: adjusted attendance

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 4:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:59 PM
Community Guy

I get what they are trying to do with the CFL demographic issue, but Sean Paul?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 7:13 PM

Sean Paul has blown up in Europe recently, I'm surprised he's even doing a CFL show here.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:20 PM

At least its not Trooper, April Wine or Burton Cummings.

I like Sean Paul. This might be the first game I will see in 5 years.

Esks are playing well....50/50 and Sean Paul.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:22 PM

24 C and sunny too, should be a great night!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:42 PM

He is a big name - my friends in Jamaica tell me he has some connections here - friends. He has a packed schedule. How he is fitting this in is a stretch for him.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:17 PM

I think the Esk's are trying hard to get their attendance up. With the halftime show and the importance of the game hoping for 35-40 k

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:32 AM
Community Guy

In a region of 1.3, I am always amazed we cannot get 45k a game.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 1:48 AM

The entertainment pie is being sliced thin these days in Edmonton. Plus a lot of people are watching on TV.

Also...the CFL quality and the 1 million penalties a game turn a lot of fans off.

But Sean Paul will make it all better.

Who can forget this one.....

https://youtu.be/oPQ3o14ksaM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There was a time. its a dead zone there before and after the game. The whole area needs to be revitalzed so the game is the centre of the action yes - but there are restos and bars to fill pregame and after - exactly like Ice District. Hello Muttart - so much potential and around the stadium.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Close to 300k are visible minorities. There are a lot of first generation Europeans in Alberta as well.

This is just a hypothesis, but I don't think too many of the above-mentioned population even understands to the rules of American eggball. I've been to hockey games here in Vancouver before, even though I don't know how to skate and even though I've never played the game myself, but eggball is just wayyyy too much of an acquired taste.

I wish Alberta had a football team in the MLS tbh (actual football not eggball). Edmonton FC is a professional club technically, but they play in the NASL. I don't think there will ever be enough support for a football team in the province (could be wrong; hopefully I'm wrong).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:15 PM
Community Guy

We have doubled our population, but have 30% less crowd; yes demographics and past-times have changed, but we need to build some excitement for the Esks and surrounding area.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:07 PM

Me thinks the main problem with the CFL as a whole is.... the NFL, and the Canadian population's fascination for it. The fact we speak the same language and the amount of television coverage makes everyone focus on the league down South. Oh and there is the gambling aspect...

I could give two shits about the NFL, but there one thing for sure is I never hear anyone in the office really talk about the CFL, except for the random Saskatchewan native of course. While on the other hand when the NFL starts, there are pools, and fantasy drafts and continuous water cooler talk every week.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:50 PM

Think you nailed it S4. Edmonton fans hung in a lot longer than in other cities, but when you see year after year of half empty stadia elsewhere, the need to be there for the sake of being there wanes.

That, and face it, the game day presentation just isn't there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
Close to 300k are visible minorities. There are a lot of first generation Europeans in Alberta as well.

This is just a hypothesis, but I don't think too many of the above-mentioned population even understands to the rules of American eggball. I've been to hockey games here in Vancouver before, even though I don't know how to skate and even though I've never played the game myself, but eggball is just wayyyy too much of an acquired taste.

I wish Alberta had a football team in the MLS tbh (actual football not eggball). Edmonton FC is a professional club technically, but they play in the NASL. I don't think there will ever be enough support for a football team in the province (could be wrong; hopefully I'm wrong).
I've seen and heard that in N/A Football the ball is only in play for 11 or 12 minutes. I personally can't get invested in a game for 2 hours to watch 11 or 12 minutes of activity, portions of which involve plays that are called back due to a penalty I had no hopes of seeing while watching live. Not to mention I can't relate to a game played by 6'7" 330lbs dudes involved in some sort of repetitive hybrid of sumo-wrestling and line-dancing. I hope the team and league both do well, but I can understand how they are losing the younger generations.

You can't compare to the U.S. though. In many counties, football is the biggest religion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:27 PM

Interestingly enough, FIFA is giving serious consideration to going the N/A football route of two 30 minute halves with stop time, so not sure that I agree the time of actual action is the reason for declining interest.

When I watch soccer, I see a lot of inaction too disguised as passing back to the goalie, multiple passes within a team's own half, etc.

But, I'm not educated enough to appreciate soccer's various strategies.

OTOH, I'd kill to be at a Premiership game to experience those passion-filled stands.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:06 PM

The problem with the CFL is there are lots of ways to spend one's entertainment time and money these days. When I was a kid I was a member of the Wooward's Knothole club in the days when regular attendance was 45k. But those were the days before the internet, decent video games, Netflix, 30 sports channels... The NFL and MLS are competition to some extent, but the real competition is technology.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Interestingly enough, FIFA is giving serious consideration to going the N/A football route of two 30 minute halves with stop time, so not sure that I agree the time of actual action is the reason for declining interest.

When I watch soccer, I see a lot of inaction too disguised as passing back to the goalie, multiple passes within a team's own half, etc.

But, I'm not educated enough to appreciate soccer's various strategies.

OTOH, I'd kill to be at a Premiership game to experience those passion-filled stands.
lol I heard that too, but that's just nonsense lobbying from American interest groups. FIFA's corruption is legendary and they would love to get a fat sack of money to destroy the sport. They almost did that in 1994 with the World Cup that was in the US. I think the proposal from the Americans was the same: half hour halves. They wanted to run commercials either for a longer duration or because they couldn't go for 45 minutes without any commercials.

There will be riots and revolutions before that happens though. Keep in mind, in 2017, FIFA is just rolling out video review technology for the first time. I think only one tournament so far has experimented with video review mid-game. We've only had goal line technology in soccer for a couple of years and even now most countries and leagues don't use it. Only official FIFA tournaments and 3-4 European leagues have it (Bundesliga, EPL, Serie A, League 1).

Two 30 minute halves would completely destroy the sport. Remember, football is a way of life. National identities in Asia, Central and SA, Europe and even North Africa are built around the sport. A ton of member countries would just separate and create a new organization. Whatever corrupt American money is fueling this would be moot if member states just leave.

I remember when the offside rule was being changed in the early 2000's, I was calling my dad swearing and hollering. I couldn't have been older than 13 lol.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 3:05 PM

Lol video is a bit extreme but the fact it has some scenes from a basketball games goes to show you that this passion isn't limited to just football (real football, yah i said it). Makes me sad Edmonton's Oilers probably has one of the greatest local fan base in all of NHL and yet, the arena can get so quiet in regular season games.

Damn Canadians, we're just to nice not wanting to bother the crowd eh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton