HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:22 PM

"it was instinctively back to 60km/h".

Really?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
"it was instinctively back to 60km/h".

Really?
Honestly, yeah. That's why I think this change is so important. Jasper, at least from 109-120ish is 6 massive lanes in the middle of quite a few empty lots. When there's little traffic, it feels like a road that is meant to be traveled at that speed, which is a problem. I realize it's not the best (and I slowed down once I noticed), but I thought it was interesting how quickly it felt 'normal' on the old stretch.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 11:52 PM

silly question but in the central area of the city why are the blocks narrower east-west instead of being narrow north-south. what was the historical reason for this? sunlight?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 11:06 PM
Change is good

think it has something to do with the the named roads running north/south before they changed to numbered pattern

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:40 PM

Edmonton failing to measure what matters on Jasper Avenue: health expert
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-health-expert

Quote:
When Karen Lee helped New York City give Times Square back to pedestrians, they measured everything from improved air quality to foot traffic and retail sales at street-level businesses to prove the temporary pilot should stay.

On Jasper Avenue, Edmonton is measuring driving times. That’s it.

It has Lee worried.

“People care about the health of their families, about seniors and whether they can safely cross the street to get to their bank. If we don’t capture that data, it’s easier for that not to be part of the conversation,” said Lee, an international health and urban planning expert coming home to the Edmonton area to help look at local solutions.

On Jasper Avenue, the City of Edmonton is testing wider sidewalks and a narrower street to keep local residents safe and invite more foot traffic for businesses. But the city is not measuring how many people actually use the street on foot during the pilot project, retail impacts or how quality of life for the many seniors living in that area changes.

It means those concerned about traffic impacts may drown out those appreciating the benefits. City officials are only measuring the benefits through surveys and comments.

That’s likely not enough, said Lee: “Capturing (impacts) only anecdotally, then it’s easier for them to be dismissed. That’s really important.”

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:47 PM
Community Guy

When I went to Winnipeg for the International Downtown Association conference, I attended a session on place-making and urban design. I ended up having a good chat with one of the urban designers from MTL and asked him to look at our Imagine Jasper pilot and provide some feedback:

----
Thanks Ian, something to chew on. So just at a quick glance, these Jasper changes could be a transformative project, particularly if paired with some zoning to encourage minimal setbacks and ground floor retail going forward, and maybe even some creative tactical urbanism work to bridge some of the gaps in the retail space along the corridor.

So just at glance without looking at turning movement volumes, the traffic volumes are generally fair low for how many lanes you have here, and the fact that you’re dealing with a grid indicates you could have even more room to play with in certain stretches of the street if the city decided that economic benefits outweighed free flow of traffic. On Jasper, the closer you get to downtown, the more pedestrian oriented it is, so that might be a place for extra focus on peds/transit and less on cars since there are alternative routes. It depends on where in the city you want to focus on retail and walkability. I’d also want to look at the APC ridership reports for the buses going through there, as transit priority could be helpful if the passenger numbers are high. Some transit priority can improve the pedestrian experience as it puts the bulk of the traffic further from the sidewalk. All of that, of course, depends on how progressive your location transportation leaders are. Also I can see there’s work going on over on 102 avenue for the bikes so that’s helpful too.

In terms of pedestrians, I would be interested in doing a study of where people hang out currently in order to inform the streetscape you develop. Counterintuitively, it’s the people who are not walking through that gives a community buzz and “vibrancy.” Looks like you’re still a few steps away on that though I do see some sidewalk café action starting to develop. Basically this kind of study I do is like people watching on steroids, and it gives you a visualization of how people use the street. This can tell you where to put seating, where to put shade trees, where to put places to lean and bike parking, where to build safer driveways, crossings, and the like. You’d have detailed opinions on all that and data to back them up. In other words you can maximize your vibrancy with the new design, which is of course what a retailer looks for when locating a business.

Also helpful in these conversations can be intercept surveys to determine how shoppers are getting to the area—particularly if you have business owners reacting to the removal of their parking. Understanding their customers better could potentially get them on board for transit/bike/ped improvements.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:12 PM

^ What, exactly, is "creative tactical urbanism work"?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 11:40 AM

I’ve noticed a distinct decrease in gross sand uglying up our city so far this snow season. New de icing measures seem to be working. Snow clearing on roads and bike paths has been good.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
I’ve noticed a distinct decrease in gross sand uglying up our city so far this snow season. New de icing measures seem to be working. Snow clearing on roads and bike paths has been good.
I've also noticed it...even with some minor melting it doesn't look like brown slime and there aren't chunks of rock every where.
I can't say I have noticed any remarkable increase or decrease in getting around. Seems to be whatever is being done is working the same as any other year just without the ugly brown.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I've also noticed it...even with some minor melting it doesn't look like brown slime and there aren't chunks of rock every where.
I can't say I have noticed any remarkable increase or decrease in getting around. Seems to be whatever is being done is working the same as any other year just without the ugly brown.
For me this is this biggest win using the new de icing method. Over the years of recycling that gravel, the rock chips were getting larger and larger.

I wonder how much less street sweeping the city will have to do now in the spring. It will be interesting to see what happens

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm_guy View Post
For me this is this biggest win using the new de icing method. Over the years of recycling that gravel, the rock chips were getting larger and larger.

I wonder how much less street sweeping the city will have to do now in the spring. It will be interesting to see what happens

Crosses fingers we wont need numerous new windshields this year!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 10:46 PM
Derp

Not sure what roads you all are driving on, but 50th Street from Sherwood Park Fwy to 68 Ave is an absolute mud hole today, rocks and grit all over the place

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Not sure what roads you all are driving on, but 50th Street from Sherwood Park Fwy to 68 Ave is an absolute mud hole today, rocks and grit all over the place
I don't know what happened last night and today but it's like every sand truck was sent out to make a huge mess.
Driving was worse today even with a huge amount of sand...makes no sense to me.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I don't know what happened last night and today but it's like every sand truck was sent out to make a huge mess.
Driving was worse today even with a huge amount of sand...makes no sense to me.

Agree...very odd. I saw sand everywhere today.

Except I saw a lot of these on the street today also....in action!

Dropping a lot of Anti-icing fluid.

IMG_4193 by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:26 PM
Derp

Well makes sense then that I only noticed yesterday. Agree that it basically made the roads even more un-driveable, nothing melted at all, just got soft and messy

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 1:33 AM

Is snow clearing exempt from late night noise restrictions?

The Safeway parking lot across from my place is cleared between 3 and 4 am, it is awful.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:15 AM
Community Guy

When I looked into this a few years ago, they were permitted to clear whenever.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:37 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm_guy View Post

I agree. I am liking the de-icing system as there are way less rocks flying around. I HATE sand, HATE, HATE, HATE it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:01 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX;7996951[B
]Is snow clearing exempt from late night noise restrictions? [/B]
The Safeway parking lot across from my place is cleared between 3 and 4 am, it is awful.
Pretty much has to be, how else can they clear parking lots etc. They are full of vehicles during the day.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:06 PM

I live near a major arterial so when there's a snowfall I can hear the scraping of plows all night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton