HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
So now they have funding and it still takes 1+ years to build 3 blocks?? I know this is "more than a sidewalk" but this is ridiculous. This should be done in 3 months, max. People need to stop being so apathetic about the timelines, I'd like to enjoy this project before I retire.
They have to cut out an extremely heavy bridge (unlike the one over Ponce, the steel span was completely filled with cement) and handle all the road closings involved. Then install the new one — they are planning on pre-fabbing it. In addition to running utilities along the entire stretch of trail. Infrastructure is hard.

I sure hope the cowboy version of the Ansley portion happens. What a great idea, and to have Georgia Power as a partner is super-cool and bodes well for their other large properties along the beltline (O4W Park and Plyant for starters)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
What do you guys think the likelihood of the beltline starting construction on SE grant/ormewood corridor in 5 years?
I know the I-20 bridge thing is a big project, and reworking Bill Kennedy through Glenwood Park, but seems like south of Glenwood, that all seems pretty ready to go. I think that would be a highly utilized sector if they could get that through. (Plus I'm only 4 blocks from that section.)

Also, what is the big hold up with the Piedmont Park section? I keep reading that if they do the NE section north of there with the help of GA Power that Piedmont Park would still be a gap? That section seems pretty ready-to-go as well? Is that tied in with Park development? I know too there's talk of how it crosses Monroe there (bridge or tunnel).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
I know the I-20 bridge thing is a big project, and reworking Bill Kennedy through Glenwood Park, but seems like south of Glenwood, that all seems pretty ready to go.
The section south of glenwood is still owned by CSX. Apparently they have not even started negotiations on selling the property yet. I understand that CSX wants quite a bit of money for their property. Funny, since the state of Georgia owns many of the other main lines that CSX operates on.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Also, what is the big hold up with the Piedmont Park section? I keep reading that if they do the NE section north of there with the help of GA Power that Piedmont Park would still be a gap? That section seems pretty ready-to-go as well? Is that tied in with Park development? I know too there's talk of how it crosses Monroe there (bridge or tunnel).
The NE section was supposed to be the last section due to the project matrix based off what is ready, cost, and what is equitable. To be honest, Piedmont park has a massive amount of trails to get by- it isn't needed to be built out. The park already lures in enough people and development. That said- I do wish the transit component would be built from downtown to Lindbergh via EST on the first swoop. Seems ridiculous/missed opportunity not to connect the transfer station up at Lindbergh and potentially with the Clifton corridor.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 6:34 PM

Saw this online and think it's a much better representation of what we should have aspired to include on the beltline instead of the overhead lighting throughout. Maybe it's not bright enough (I'm against having the area be too bright, actually- to balance safety with the park atmosphere that separates it from feeling like you're on a city street), although it at least provides a decent representation of what is possible:

http://www.boredpanda.com/glow-in-th...dor-singapore/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 3:34 AM

Blast from the Past

In 2003, Bill VanDerKloot produced a short promotional video to support the project.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
In 2003, Bill VanDerKloot produced a short promotional video to support the project.

Video Link
Wow! I specifically remember watching that at the time. Within weeks me and some boddies had hiked through the overgrown east side trail from Edgewood up to Ansley (the White Witch on Bonaventure called it the "hobo highway"); all around Ormewood Park and the area around Maddox Park. We actually had to bring machetes to cut through some of those sections.

By 2004, volunteers and guerrilla hikers had cleared decent paths through O4W, and I remember when you could first bike somewhat easily. Everybody got good a patching tires! I think the bike shop at Coleridge figured out what was going on before anybody else — they were a ton of help.

Now, when I ride from Parish to Piedmont Park, I marvel at the views, the people and the ease of motion. Amazing that this is happening in my lifetime. Can't wait to make a full circuit!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Wow! I specifically remember watching that at the time. Within weeks me and some boddies had hiked through the overgrown east side trail from Edgewood up to Ansley (the White Witch on Bonaventure called it the "hobo highway"); all around Ormewood Park and the area around Maddox Park. We actually had to bring machetes to cut through some of those sections.

By 2004, volunteers and guerrilla hikers had cleared decent paths through O4W, and I remember when you could first bike somewhat easily. Everybody got good a patching tires! I think the bike shop at Coleridge figured out what was going on before anybody else — they were a ton of help.

Now, when I ride from Parish to Piedmont Park, I marvel at the views, the people and the ease of motion. Amazing that this is happening in my lifetime. Can't wait to make a full circuit!

It is quite spectacular that this has happened and has transformed the areas basically overnight or so it seems.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:24 PM

Irwin getting close

The segment of the Beltline between Irwin and Edgewood is getting close — lights and camaras are in place. I'm guessing the fence comes down some time on Friday. This will connect Stoveworks, Alexi and the future addition to Studioplex.

Bell Street Burritos and Rathbuns are the big places about to be accessable

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
The segment of the Beltline between Irwin and Edgewood is getting close — lights and camaras are in place. I'm guessing the fence comes down some time on Friday. This will connect Stoveworks, Alexi and the future addition to Studioplex.

Bell Street Burritos and Rathbuns are the big places about to be accessable
And all of Edgewood Ave!! That's a huge connection!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:18 PM

https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...de_8-10-17.pdf

An update on Beltline Transit.

Include alignments for the initial phase of transit expansion as well as where stations would be located. Also discusses updates to master plan and a new unified master Beltline document to consolidate all different plans.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post

Include alignments for the initial phase of transit expansion as well as where stations would be located. Also discusses updates to master plan and a new unified master Beltline document to consolidate all different plans.
Still worried about running this on North Ave near Ga Tech. That little stretch is ridiculously packed during peak hours. And I wonder what's the point of the strange little loop (slide 17) on the Downtown line by MBStadium?

Also interesting to note they want to put a vehicle maintenance facility behind Atlanta Dairies.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post

I'm pleased to see the crosstown loop placed further form the existing westbound HRT. However, it isn't shows in the BeltLine west alignment. That map needs updated.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:10 PM

Well, as of this morning Irwin to Edgewood still isn't open. Sorry about the false hopes!

Everything looks finished (the large fence along the west edge will probably stay for the StudioPlex project) so I'm guessing the hold-up is running fiber through the Krog tunnel to their camera/security facility on Memorial.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:04 PM

Paul Morris out, Brian McGowan in at Atlanta Beltline Atlanta Business Chronicle (Paywall)

Quote:
Atlanta Beltline Inc. (ABI) is replacing President and CEO Paul Morris with a former top executive with Invest Atlanta and the Metro Atlanta Chamber.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:12 PM

Anybody have the skinny on what this is really all about? I personally don't have lots of high regard for a lawyer from the Metro Atlanta Chamber.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:56 PM

Westside Trail officially opens Friday Sept 29

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 12:36 AM

Looking forward to checking out the Westside beltline!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Still worried about running this on North Ave near Ga Tech. That little stretch is ridiculously packed during peak hours. And I wonder what's the point of the strange little loop (slide 17) on the Downtown line by MBStadium?

Also interesting to note they want to put a vehicle maintenance facility behind Atlanta Dairies.
The little loop would serve the front door to the GWCC, Mercedes Benz stadium, as well as the future GWCC hotel. It's the loop that Andrew Young International Blvd makes as it encircles the GWCC plaza.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:36 PM

Extension open?

Is the extension south of Irwin open yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta