HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 6:21 PM

"Hotel undergoes redesign"

Castanet article - June 17, 2017 - Wayne Moore

"Three years after receiving a development permit, all remains quiet on the site of a proposed new downtown Kelowna hotel.

After several delays, Westcorp is now in the process of submitting new design drawings for the hotel on the former Willow Inn site.

According to city planners, meetings between city staff and Westcorp have been taking place.

New design drawings are expected to be received within the next week or so.

The original design called for a 214-room hotel and conference centre featuring a 24-storey tower.

As part of the design, Westcorp has agreed to purchase a portion of Mill Street for $1.915 million.

The company has also indicated recent flooding will have no impact on the design, or construction of the hotel."

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:11 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I will be coming to Kelowna in August if anyone is there. Will have my cameras out in full force. Got a new go-pro and may buy a drone as well.
Do you know the exact dates in August? I might be in Kelowna then.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
I will be coming to Kelowna in August if anyone is there. Will have my cameras out in full force. Got a new go-pro and may buy a drone as well.
I live in Kelowna, it'll be good to see you again buddy!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:27 AM

For the exact dates it is looking like sometime between the 5th and 13th. Likely around the 6th or 7th.

That's right DKaz, you are an Okanagan guy now! Yeah, would be good to meet up again

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:57 PM

Potential highrise at downtown food bank location

Another highrise on Ellis?

Castanet article - Trevor Nichols - June 30, 2017
A juicy piece of real estate just hit the market in Kelowna’s cultural district, and is being touted as a possible site for the next highrise development in the city.

Murray Wills, who's facilitating sale of the soon-to-be former home of the Central Okanagan Community Food Bank, says 1265 Ellis St. is "one of the very few downtown sites that has the opportunity to redevelop."

For more on the development possibilities for the property, as well as the unique way it's being sold, check out the full story on Castanet's sister business news website, Okanagan Edge.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
1265 Ellis St. is "one of the very few downtown sites that has the opportunity to redevelop."
Why is that? Are they using a very narrow definition of "downtown"? Or is there some other factor at play here?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 2:52 AM

Concrete forming

Hello, new here but drawn to this thread. Im looking to relocate to kelowna area (yes, more vancouverites headed your way...)
I was hoping somebody here has information on the construction of the kelowna highrises... i'm hoping to find a name of the concrete forming company who is building the '1551 Sunset' tower... also looking for the names of companies who are bidding on future highrise projects in the Okanagan area.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 6:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
For the exact dates it is looking like sometime between the 5th and 13th. Likely around the 6th or 7th.

That's right DKaz, you are an Okanagan guy now! Yeah, would be good to meet up again
I should be around then.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:

Definitely! I should be free that weekend. The Canada day fireworks was postponed to August 5th FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Another highrise on Ellis?
Murray Wills, who's facilitating sale of the soon-to-be former home of the Central Okanagan Community Food Bank, says 1265 Ellis St. is "one of the very few downtown sites that has the opportunity to redevelop."
That's a tiny piece of property, around 22m wide along Ellis by 46m deep. I don't know how tall they can build on something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouthworth View Post
Hello, new here but drawn to this thread. Im looking to relocate to kelowna area (yes, more vancouverites headed your way...)
I was hoping somebody here has information on the construction of the kelowna highrises... i'm hoping to find a name of the concrete forming company who is building the '1551 Sunset' tower... also looking for the names of companies who are bidding on future highrise projects in the Okanagan area.
I'd be surprised if SK Form & Finish wasn't on that job.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 5:22 AM

The 19-storey highrise(Perhaps 20 stories now) slated to be built at the corner of Ellis and Lawrence is now called ELLA.
Sales Centre is at the corner of Ellis and Bernard.
http://liveatella.com/

Last edited by KevD; Jul 7, 2017 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 5:54 PM
BANNED

God I wish they would quit exaggerating the geometry of every building in renderings

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 1:00 AM

Awesome guys! Maybe we will need to do a walk up Knox Mountain?

Wish I could see the fireworks, might miss them by a day or two. Looking like August 6th or 7th arriving in Kelowna.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 6:19 PM

Not a huge fan, but it's better than nothing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:17 PM

2149-2189 Pandosy St

Application for an extended medical treatment facility with commercial, retail and residential space.

File: DP17-0166
Date: 2017-06-28
Type: Development Permits

Collett Manor at 2169 Pandosy

Picture from Permit Submission

Application for an extended medical treatment facility with commercial, retail and residential space. Proximity to KGH

https://www.kelowna.ca/homes-buildin...ents/dp17-0166

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart99 View Post

Picture from Permit Submission

Application for an extended medical treatment facility with commercial, retail and residential space. Proximity to KGH

https://www.kelowna.ca/homes-buildin...ents/dp17-0166
It's mid-rise proposals like this that can really add more character to the city's architecture. I wish that the other larger cities in Canada would realize this.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 11:03 PM

Some changes to the Ella podium - looks a bit better, I think:

Quote:

Revisions to a proposed 20-storey building in downtown Kelowna will make it more visually appealing and contribute to a better pedestrian experience, city staff say.
The five-storey podium to rise from the corner of Ellis Street and Lawrence Avenue now has more architectural features, including additional windows, contrasting facades and a variety of building materials.
New plans also show trees on the top of the podium, a more attractive main entrance and lobby, and the preservation of existing mature trees on Ellis Street.
“The enhanced streetscape will provide an improved pedestrian realm on both Ellis Street and Lawrence Avenue,” reads part of a staff planning report going to a council meeting next Tuesday evening.
The willingness shown by the developer, Mission Group, to make the requested changes has prompted staff to recommend that council grant the necessary development permit and development variance permits.
One variance relates to the overall height of the building, allowing it to rise 20 storeys instead of 13. Another relates to the overall mass of the podium upon which the 15-storey residential tower rests.
Interested members of the public can address council during the public hearing, which begins at 6 p.m.
Dubbed ELLA, for the first two letters of the respective street names, the project includes 5,700 square feet of ground-floor commercial space and 116 condominium units.
The city bought the property, site of a former dry-cleaning business, in 2012 with the intention of eventually selling it for a highrise development when market conditions supported such a project.
“ELLA will be a glass highrise with modern concrete condos, all with views, in a quintessential downtown location one block off Bernard Avenue so people can walk to shopping, restaurants, entertainment and the lake,” company official Luke Turri said last month.
From: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...f80bbac1d.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:19 PM

A week and a half old but a few updates from Kelowna...

SOPA Square

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:20 PM

1151 Sunset Drive

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:22 PM

Best parking garage! Looks great because you can hardly tell it is a parkade.

Memorial Parkade

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 8:28 PM

UBC Teaching and Learning Centre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia