HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Go get a bowl of pho in Pho King at plaza midtown. Just went, it was delicious.
Great!
I love it that Midtown is getting a greater variety of Cuisines especially some Vietnamese restaurants. I've been through periods where I have eaten pho literally every day.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 1:35 PM

Plans for a new restaurant and grocery store in the Sweet Auburn Curb Market.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/coach-joe...-sweet-auburn/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Plans for a new restaurant and grocery store in the Sweet Auburn Curb Market.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/coach-joe...-sweet-auburn/
I wish PCM and Krog would take the nod from Sweet Auburn and have produce stalls, butchers, bakers, and sell groceries rather than just a food hall. They're doing a lot to encourage walk-ability of the area, I just wish we'd have more grocery options for locals.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I wish PCM and Krog would take the nod from Sweet Auburn and have produce stalls, butchers, bakers, and sell groceries rather than just a food hall. They're doing a lot to encourage walk-ability of the area, I just wish we'd have more grocery options for locals.
PCM has a farmers market on Tuesdays.

At KSM there really is no room for anything other than what it currently is unless they decided to go in a different direction and that is highly unlikely.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 11:29 AM

715 Peachtree has landed three retail tenants

Bareburger
Land of a Thousand Hills coffee company
Stone Summit rock climbing gym

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...o-midtown.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:48 PM

Dancing Goats is now open

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyR7_jF0YE/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:29 AM

Quote:
agree with this 100%. when i heard "ponce city market" for the first time, i was thinking we were going to have an actual marketplace with stalls of locals selling locally grown vegetables, fish brought in from the atlantic on ice, jewelry and all sorts of things. instead we got a bunch of corporate HQs, a food court for the buckhead crowd, and a cover charge to stand on the roof. don't get me wrong, the building looks great and all, but this could have really been something really unique and instead it's essentially avalon put in an old warehouse to give it 'authenticity'.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
agree with this 100%. when i heard "ponce city market" for the first time, i was thinking we were going to have an actual marketplace with stalls of locals selling locally grown vegetables, fish brought in from the atlantic on ice, jewelry and all sorts of things. instead we got a bunch of corporate HQs, a food court for the buckhead crowd, and a cover charge to stand on the roof. don't get me wrong, the building looks great and all, but this could have really been something really unique and instead it's essentially avalon put in an old warehouse to give it 'authenticity'.
I'm not sure exactly how many millions it cost to renovate that building, but I am sure it's more than a few local organic farmers could spare in rent. Markets like you describe are usually outdoors or in older buildings like the Sweet Auburn market. New construction is expensive and they have to make that money back somehow.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I'm not sure exactly how many millions it cost to renovate that building, but I am sure it's more than a few local organic farmers could spare in rent. Markets like you describe are usually outdoors or in older buildings like the Sweet Auburn market. New construction is expensive and they have to make that money back somehow.
i think this is why we need a new approach to doing things. i don't have the answer, but when we're at the point where we can only have new things for people with six figure salaries, we've got a problem.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Back in the 1950's there was a farmer's market affiliated with Sears across North Ave by the Southern Dairy's building. I think it would spill into the flat areas on the north side of North Ave. So, good point, it was in far more temporary structures than the Sears building. The related Chelsea Market in Manhattan does not have anything like a farmer's market either. Bagel shops, their version of King of Pops (Peoples' Pops) but I don't remember any place that would have, say, a fresh melon or corn in husks or vine-fresh tomatoes.

Until the early 60's (IIRC) North Ave ended at the Beltline, so imagine someone going to a Crackers' game if they took North it would just end at the rail berm with lots of random parking and a farmer's market. They'd walk through the Sears retail portion and go watch the game; then after, walk through again, perhaps picking up a purchase or two then grab some fresh veggies then head home.

I know people who took the streetcar to games in the 1940's and they described the scene around the ball park as almost a Greek Agora, with lot's of mixing, meeting, talking and fellowship around there. The games would be over before 5pm most days.

Anyways Ponce City Market can fulfill much of this function but I don't think a produce market would work. It's amazing that as recently as 5 years ago, I had already toured the building half a dozen times (some unofficially) and the power room was still in situ and the giant sorting bins (think 2 shipping container sized) and the giant red box sorting spiral was still mounted to the outside. They have done amazing work.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:30 PM

Sweet Auburn Curb Market is good for cheap fresh produce. It would be great if that model could be copied in other parts of the city. Use an existing building to keep rents cheap.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 10:48 PM

Bytes Restaurant to open "Midtown's first iPad-Driven restaurant" at Square on Fifth.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/bytes-res...fifth-midtown/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Bytes Restaurant to open "Midtown's first iPad-Driven restaurant" at Square on Fifth.

Nerd Alert.....

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 9:30 AM

Looks like Caravaca Market will take the entire street level at Trace and have another micro food hall.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
CARAVACA MARKET extends a full city block along Atlanta's "Midtown Mile".
But the building is only half a block wide!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:44 PM

Partners hope to have The Canteen open to the public this weekend..

https://atlanta.eater.com/2017/6/5/1...ir-yalla-freds

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:

It's as if Apple opened a restaurant.

https://twitter.com/CDMQuality/statu...22753245282304

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:53 PM

Landmark Midtown Art Cinema to undergo $2.5 million renovation

Quote:
Plans recently filed with City of Atlanta call for a $2,500,000 transformation of the theatre in the Midtown Promenade shopping center, at 931 Monroe Dr NE.

The movie theatre in its entirety will get a refresh including the exterior storefront, auditoriums, concessions, restrooms, and workrooms.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/landmark-...a-renovations/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I'd rather they knock down that strip mall and the crap garden apartment complex across the beltline to build anew rather than continuing to renovate this area. Blah.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I'd rather they knock down that strip mall and the crap garden apartment complex across the beltline to build anew rather than continuing to renovate this area. Blah.
It'd be tough to get the necessary density to justify redevelopment of those sites. Not that I have run the numbers or dug into zoning, but that is my armchair assumption.

Just look at the failed proposal near Park Tavern that was to be condos. Redevelopment of the BeltLine parcel and single family homes could barely work (and didn't after neighborhood push back).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta