HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Sutton is scheduled for completion July 2023, little premature to speculate on it’s demise.
Goldman Sachs issued guidance yesterday on vaccine distribution.

".. we expect mass immunization to largely complete the reopening process and trigger a reacceleration next spring that will leave full-year growth well above expectations."

Source: National Association of Medicine, Goldman Sachs Global Investment Research

So, GS expects they'll have most of the US population vaccinated with one of the vaccines currently in trial by end of H2 2021.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Goldman Sachs issued guidance yesterday on vaccine distribution.

".. we expect mass immunization to largely complete the reopening process and trigger a reacceleration next spring that will leave full-year growth well above expectations."

Source: National Association of Medicine, Goldman Sachs Global Investment Research

So, GS expects they'll have most of the US population vaccinated with one of the vaccines currently in trial by end of H2 2021.
That's pretty optimistic, hopefully accurate. I'm of the belief that leisure travel will ramp up to prepandemic levels relatively quickly following a successful vaccine roll out. There's probably even some pent up demand there. It's the business traveler that would concern me if I was in the hotel industry. My boss for example would be in Toronto for almost half the work days in a month prior to this hitting. My guess is things have gone relatively well without all the travelling and that's a thing of the past.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:20 PM

^ That hadn't occurred to me but yeah, I could see business travel taking a beating after this now that people have figured out how to work around the current travel restrictions and carry on with their work. That could spell trouble for a city like Winnipeg where we aren't exactly a leisure travel magnet with loads of tourists to offset a major drop in business travellers...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:25 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That hadn't occurred to me but yeah, I could see business travel taking a beating after this now that people have figured out how to work around the current travel restrictions and carry on with their work. That could spell trouble for a city like Winnipeg where we aren't exactly a leisure travel magnet with loads of tourists to offset a major drop in business travellers...
Yes, it’s all the national HR department meetings, and other such unglamorous airport-hotel stuff, that Winnipeg gets because of its central location that could be hardest hit.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:29 PM

There is basically zero need to travel for business. Only things that would/could require it are for a face to face intro when first meeting someone. I've done this. Really helps in creating a connection to people you'll be working with. Or if there's some type of a site visit.

For normal business meeting there is no need to meet in person. Even for meeting within Winnipeg. Is there really a need for me to drive out to McGillivray, to sit in a stuffy room with 10 other people when we could just do it on Teams? Most people don't need an artsy, personal collaboration. For those that do need that, great. For most meeting, nope.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:51 PM

^ I think there is a benefit to meeting in person, but does it warrant the time, hassle and expense? In many cases probably not. I mean, I can understand that for certain jobs (real C-level types, i.e. CEO/CFO/COO, some salespeople) it's important to travel regularly but to Andy's example, the national HR department heads maybe don't need to meet in person all the time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
^ I think there is a benefit to meeting in person, but does it warrant the time, hassle and expense? In many cases probably not. I mean, I can understand that for certain jobs (real C-level types, i.e. CEO/CFO/COO, some salespeople) it's important to travel regularly but to Andy's example, the national HR department heads maybe don't need to meet in person all the time.
My field of employment has long had pretty much what everyone else is discovering now. Extremely permissive work-from-home policies, and in total I'm sure I've had more video call meetings than in-person meetings. We still find it valuable and well worth the expense to attend conferences from time to time.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 6:39 PM

I think sales departments in general rely a lot on travel. I normally get a lot of sales people from BC to Ontario who make the rounds and want to meet up in person. Maybe we buy from 25% of them. The other 75% need to make an impression and that is hard to do by email and phone alone. Keep in mind there is not usually more than a couple of % in price differences so the social budget makes a difference, ie lunches, shitty hats, jets tickets, etc.

So when the quarantine lifts there will a mass movement of sales people scrounging for ears to listen to their pitches.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
My field of employment has long had pretty much what everyone else is discovering now. Extremely permissive work-from-home policies, and in total I'm sure I've had more video call meetings than in-person meetings. We still find it valuable and well worth the expense to attend conferences from time to time.
Yeah, conferences will still be there... but for most people that tends to be the kind of thing you do maybe once or twice a year unlike the more frequent business trips that the road warriors out there have to endure.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:33 PM

Hi everyone,
Any updates about Sutton place construction progress?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien31 View Post
Hi everyone,
Any updates about Sutton place construction progress?
Well, that burst of activity in October/November was fun while it lasted.
It looks like it's been put to sleep.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:02 PM
the first stamp is free

What a bizarre construction site. Is this the same company that took about 20 years to build that Sandman hotel near the airport?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:11 PM

Wow, a ghost town. They even gave back the traffic lane on Carlton. Looks like it'll be asleep for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
What a bizarre construction site. Is this the same company that took about 20 years to build that Sandman hotel near the airport?
Northland Properties' hotels have a habit of taking years to construct. The Sandman on the QEW in Oakville took a long time as well as the one near the Winnipeg Airport.

Is the Sandman Signature still being worked on near the Winnipeg Airport?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:07 PM

Wasn't there an article recently about the huge hit hotels have taken. Maybe even specific to Northlands. No surprise this is on hold. Seems like they got the lower level work done and have sealed it in for the winter. Maybe things pick up again in the spring.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That one person who built the entire Sandman hotel deserves some kind of public recognition. Pretty impressive accomplishment for a single human being.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:58 PM

Any new images of this? I assume there are no changes. It would be nice to see the work at the RWB from this perspective though.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 4:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Yeah Winnipeg_Grump!

You thought you were off the hook because the hotel project has no action...well guess again.

"WHAT DO WE WANT!" - pictures of the Student Residence
"WHEN DO WE WANT THEM!" - we want them now
"HOW OFTEN DO WE WANT THEM!" - as often as you can provide them, depending on your schedule of course...we don't want to inconvenience you.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 4:40 PM

I'm surprised the RWB hasn't released any details or renderings yet... these types of projects that rely on donors or government funding tend to have ceremonies where the people who wrote the cheques get to put on hardhats, grab a shovel and grin for the cameras.

Anyway, this project should hopefully go a long way to reducing that block of Edmonton St.'s current parking-dominated feel.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised the RWB hasn't released any details or renderings yet... these types of projects that rely on donors or government funding tend to have ceremonies where the people who wrote the cheques get to put on hardhats, grab a shovel and grin for the cameras.

Anyway, this project should hopefully go a long way to reducing that block of Edmonton St.'s current parking-dominated feel.
I was under the impression that TN Development was funding this as compensation for the site of the current residence which will house the Wawanesa tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan