HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Save On international is a very very rare breed in their chain. In fact there is only 2, 1 here and 1 in BC. They have said that Winnipeg will not be getting another one before, as it’s basically done with the ‘international’ brand for the time being.
I thought the Pembina and Bishop location was announced as another "International" store.

I have long said that southwest Winnipeg, especially the U of M area, is ripe for people to target with Asian focused groceries stores. Northwest Winnipeg by contrast is somewhat saturated with them. Seeing say Seafood City, Lucky's, T&T or others open in that market would make sense.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:54 PM

^ Just eyeballing it, the Pembina Save On does not look very big... it looks more in line with the St. James location size-wise. Nowhere near the McPhillips location.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:42 PM

You may be correct.

The lease plans for Northgate list Save-On-Foods as 65,367 sq ft.

The Shindico site lists the entire leasable area as 225,000 sq ft and calls out the 56,000 sq ft Access Centre.

Even if the Access Centre is counted separately from the 225,000 sq ft the Northgate store would be about 25% off the mall. If the Access Centre space is removed it would be even larger, about a third of the mall.

It might be that the location is still going to be an "International" store but with a smaller footprint than Northgate. For example delete the craft candy section at the back, make the eating area smaller or eliminate it, delete the Starbucks, move the seafood to the outer wall. Replace the open coolers with upright coolers. Tighten up some of the aisle spacing the the produce section.

There is one of the things that really stands out about the McPhillips location -- there is a lot of "open" space. I know one Superstore redesign that made their aisles slightly narrower to fit in on or two more and created hard stop areas with structural posts in them now. It is something surprising how much "open" space grocery stores need.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
You may be correct.

The lease plans for Northgate list Save-On-Foods as 65,367 sq ft.

The Shindico site lists the entire leasable area as 225,000 sq ft and calls out the 56,000 sq ft Access Centre.

Even if the Access Centre is counted separately from the 225,000 sq ft the Northgate store would be about 25% off the mall. If the Access Centre space is removed it would be even larger, about a third of the mall.

It might be that the location is still going to be an "International" store but with a smaller footprint than Northgate. For example delete the craft candy section at the back, make the eating area smaller or eliminate it, delete the Starbucks, move the seafood to the outer wall. Replace the open coolers with upright coolers. Tighten up some of the aisle spacing the the produce section.

There is one of the things that really stands out about the McPhillips location -- there is a lot of "open" space. I know one Superstore redesign that made their aisles slightly narrower to fit in on or two more and created hard stop areas with structural posts in them now. It is something surprising how much "open" space grocery stores need.
There is no info anywhere suggesting an ‘international’ store, so I think it’s safe to assume that it will just be a regular Save On due to its size. It may have a few extra items but would not expect the Northgate store with it’s massive hot food section etc. Even the shindico info package and site map just shows/calls it Save On Foods.

https://shindico.com/email/documents...g_brochure.pdf

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:08 AM

Would seem like a huge miss considering that is essentially New Chinatown to not make that an international store.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:59 AM

My searches are not turning up the right results. That said I could swear when the location was announced it was said it would be the "International" subbrand and like what McPhillips offers. Opening just a regular Save-on-Foods that close to Bridgewater doesn't make a lot of sense considering there are other parts of the city to better target.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:28 PM

The retail apocalypse continues.

Today Naturalizer (Polo Park, Outlets, Garden City) and Call It Spring (Outlets, St Vital, KP, maybe others) both announced they are getting out of running physical stores.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:45 PM

What the hell kind of name is "Call It Spring" for a shoe store anyway?!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What the hell kind of name is "Call It Spring" for a shoe store anyway?!
That's cause you don't know the history of the name. It was first "Transit" then became "Transit-Spring" which was later changed to just "Spring", ultimately ending up as "Call It Spring". Now you know.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:45 PM

Transit -- like meant as younger, urban sounding brand.

Spring -- as in spring in your step.

Betting both those got trademark claimed forcing the series of name changes.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:39 AM

I get emails constantly from call it spring. I ordered a pair of shoes from them once.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 2:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Although all of these store closings are of concern to Malls and other property owners and disappointing to the people who shopped at these stores, I am looking at the bright side of things.

I think of it like a clearing of dead wood. A lot of these retailers were having issues pre-pandemic and likely would have closed anyways. We know this pandemic will end and with that, there will be opportunity for new to market retailers to take the vacant spaces.

I do feel for the one-off's and the mom and pop shops that couldn't financially survive as this pandemic was really a crusher. But with those too, there will be new opportunities for local entrepreneurs to build a stronger retail environment in the city.

These are my "Deep Thoughts by Biff" for the day.....I have spoken.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:15 AM

Apparently ALDO is only closing its Call It Spring stores in the US. Canadian stores remain open.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:52 PM

There are LEASED signs in two vacant units near Homesense in the SmartCentres wasteland at Kensaston and Lindenwood Dr. Whatever could be interested in moving into that carcass of a strip mall, especially right now, is beyond me.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:00 AM

The Bay Downtown officially closed at 5 pm today. With only selling essential goods they decided not to go until February.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:05 AM

AccordTR just beat me to the posting about the Bay downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There are LEASED signs in two vacant units near Homesense in the SmartCentres wasteland at Kensaston and Lindenwood Dr. Whatever could be interested in moving into that carcass of a strip mall, especially right now, is beyond me.
Spirit Halloween?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:55 AM

Sad news about The Bay. We all knew it was coming, probably for at least 20 years. But it's especially sad to see it go out with a whimper like this.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:57 PM

^^ Re Hudsons Bay, it is definitely sad to see the Winnipeg store close as it was truly from a different era.

That said the company as a whole is in significant trouble right now and at risk of continuing as a going concern. They have already been locked out of some stores by the landlords over non-payment of rent. With those financial constraints the downtown building is going to be left to literally rot and will likely have the heat turned off as soon as inventory can be cleared out.

If as a province we are serious about wanting to preserve the building or at least ensure it doesn't become an encampment for squatters the city or province should make a deal to take ownership of it ASAP and keep it minimally heated, ensure the sprinklers/fire suppression equipment is working and maintained, and have regular security patrols through the building. I remember for quite some time after Eaton's closed the second floor skywalk remained open. While the Bay building is a terminus of the skywalk it doesn't need to maintain public access but should have similar daily staffed attention paid to it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:26 PM

So what's the likely scenario for Hudson's Bay at this point? Maybe reduced to a few stores in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and a couple of others with everything else shut down/sold off?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan