HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:09 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

that last low area in Seattle...the final undeveloped stretch of parking lots/small buildings in front of the amazon HQ...wouldn't it make a great park?

the city seems a bit under-parked generally...

wonder what others think.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:14 AM

Santa Fe, Argentina

Fuente[/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:58 AM
ridin4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Houston

jsc2015e102902 by NASA Johnson, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/ASDbRT][/url]jsc2015e102899 by NASA Johnson, on Flickr
great shot...galleria has really filled in now a days

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:28 AM

Great pic.

A lot of the Uptown highrises are to the left of the photo's view, and some new talls are missing, so not sure how recent this is. Still a good pic. Med Center would be to the right. Would be great to find a pic that includes Downtown, Uptown, Greenway, and Med Center, along with the highrises in between. I don't know that I've ever found a pic like that, though.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Sep 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:39 AM

NYC

@nyobsession

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:08 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
that last low area in Seattle...the final undeveloped stretch of parking lots/small buildings in front of the amazon HQ...wouldn't it make a great park?

the city seems a bit under-parked generally...

wonder what others think.
That area has a number of other highrises planned, including a 24-story office tower for Amazon on the block with the long white building which is currently being demo'd. The block with the two tower cranes is the third larger Amazon tower. The block with the blue awning has four(!) 440' apartment towers planned by two developers, a couple of which seem like they could start this year. A couple of the little triangular blocks along Denny Way have 440' residential towers proposed. Also Amazon plans a 16(?) story office on one of the half blocks.

That said, we very much need more parks. We're ok with smaller ones including the mid-block examples that a lot of office blocks are getting these days, but we lack anything larger. A group of us tried to get a big one passed in the 90s from Denny to Lake Union. It failed two public votes, then the land we bought using Paul Allen's donations reverted to his ownership (vs. being given to the City) and that was the precursor to South Lake Union's real estate boom.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:18 AM

^ All American cities are short on parks. It's one of the drawbacks of never having had a royal family.

Houston could really use some mid-rise infill. Lots of it, like 30 square miles, linking its "downtowns".
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Sep 6, 2017 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ All American cities are short on parks. It's one of the drawbacks of never having had a royal family.

Houston could really use some mid-rise infill. Lots of it, like 30 square miles, linking its "downtowns".
There's already a whole lot of midrise infill going on in Houston in the areas you're referring to. There have been big changes just in the last 5 years or so. Those photos above appear to be outdated. But still, you're correct that there is room for a whole lot more. A lot is in the planning stages. Typically what has been happening is that older apartments/condos/single family are being torn down, and midrise residential replaces it. That's been typical of Midtown, Memorial/Allen Parkway, and Upper Kirby, for example. But there are inner loop areas like River Oaks (the woodsy area in the photos), West University, and other areas where I doubt that's going to happen for a very long time except along commercial avenues. West University has been seeing some new midrise in the Village, which is the commercial area in the heart of the district. I just don't see complete fill in for many decades, even if then, and even in the inner loop. It will continue to be concentrated in specific areas, but more so.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Sep 7, 2017 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:51 AM

^ That's good to hear. With a bit more transit investment along that north/south corridor, maybe someday Downtown/Midtown/TMC can look like the Yonge St corridor in Toronto.

Are there any plans for transit expansion in that corridor to make it, well, a useful system? Or west from Midtown toward the Galleria?

I've always been a bit confused as to why they built Houston's tram lines where they did. I get the link to University of Houston, but there doesn't seem to be anything past that, or along the lines running SE from downtown, unless it was built with an eye to redeveloping that part of the city. It's all strip malls and low-density SFH.

Doing a bit of Google Maps city planning, it looks like a line running down Alabama St. from University of Houston, through Midtown, and west to the Galleria would make a great deal of sense.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:59 AM
ridin4s

melbourne is next major world class city...its boomin

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:00 AM
ridin4s

Quote:
^ That's good to hear. With a bit more transit investment along that north/south corridor, maybe someday Downtown/Midtown/TMC can look like the Yonge St corridor in Toronto.

Are there any plans for transit expansion in that corridor to make it, well, a useful system? Or west from Midtown toward the Galleria?

I've always been a bit confused as to why they built Houston's tram lines where they did. I get the link to University of Houston, but there doesn't seem to be anything past that, or along the lines running SE from downtown, unless it was built with an eye to redeveloping that part of the city. It's all strip malls and low-density SFH.

Doing a bit of Google Maps city planning, it looks like a line running down Alabama St. from University of Houston, through Midtown, and west to the Galleria would make a great deal of sense.
they are building line up to uptown

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:03 AM
ridin4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Great pic.

A lot of the Uptown highrises are to the left of the photo's view, and some new talls are missing, so not sure how recent this is. Still a good pic. Med Center would be to the right. Would be great to find a pic that includes Downtown, Uptown, Greenway, and Med Center, along with the highrises in between. I don't know that I've ever found a pic like that, though.
its an old pic...tmc is super dense and uptown is filling in quickly...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:32 AM

Quote:

I think the line from downtown to the Med Center and stadium area is a great line. The south and east lines are pretty good, as is the north line. But a line you mentioned from Midtown to Uptown makes great sense but I'm not aware of plans for it. I don't understand. Also don't understand the lack of lines to both airports. I guess there are logistical barriers that we're not aware of.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw290 View Post
they are building line up to uptown
Where will it come from?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I think the line from downtown to the Med Center and stadium area is a great line. The south and east lines are pretty good, as is the north line. But a line you mentioned from Midtown to Uptown makes great sense but I'm not aware of plans for it. I don't understand. Also don't understand the lack of lines to both airports. I guess there are logistical barriers that we're not aware of.
The airports I get in Houston's case. It would be a pretty long ride on a light rail line making frequent stops, and it's almost certainly faster by car. People are generally happy to call a taxi/car service to the airport (and consider this part of the cost of the trip). Lines that service commuters, shoppers, evening entertainment and students are likely to provide the best bang for the buck.

My question was really about whether anyone actually rides those lines that go east along Harrisburg Blvd. Maybe ridership is high because it's a low income area (though this is bad strategy generally for building a profitable mass transit system) but it seems pretty low density. The bus would have been fine.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Baltimore:

Baltimore Aerial by MDOHTH, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
The airports I get in Houston's case. It would be a pretty long ride on a light rail line making frequent stops, and it's almost certainly faster by car. People are generally happy to call a taxi/car service to the airport (and consider this part of the cost of the trip). Lines that service commuters, shoppers, evening entertainment and students are likely to provide the best bang for the buck.

My question was really about whether anyone actually rides those lines that go east along Harrisburg Blvd. Maybe ridership is high because it's a low income area (though this is bad strategy generally for building a profitable mass transit system) but it seems pretty low density. The bus would have been fine.
Since we don't live there, I guess we should see what someone knows who actually lives there or is actively involved in it (preferably the latter).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 3:02 AM

Another intersesting aerial of Pre-Irma tree canopy and South Florida's highrise burbs (Sunny Isles, Aventura, Hallandale Beach..etc). :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lrosa/36147235304

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Buffalo, NY:

Untitled by Scott Woodruff, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott Woodruff, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:33 PM

This kid is pretty talented with a drone around our City.....

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos